Should ic2 be boycotted untill the power system is fixed ??

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
And this is where I start being baffled. Why do you care? You and many other people in this thread play GregTech, and at this point GregTech may as well be a completely different mod that stole a few features from IC2.

As much as I dislike GregTech, I will say that it's a success: it has a specific target audience that it focuses towards and it is very popular with that audience. IC2E decided to say "screw you" to a large portion its old targeted playerbase and went another direction entirely. So yeah, people pretty much hate it for that.

Changing targeted playerbases suddenly is a massive dick move in Modded MC, and this becomes even worse the longer your mod has been out on the market building up an established playerbase. So when IC2E decided to change playerbases entirely after building one up since Minecraft's beta......this happened.

supposedly EE2 was killed due to the community feedback? I've heard a dozen people complain that they loved that mod but it was ruined due to people complaining it was too OP.

Mod devs change mods due to public opinion? I've never used dartcraft, but it was nerfed right? So IMO if no one speaks up, mods I enjoy might get simplified. People on the other side of the coin speak up too. I often see comments about mods that were "ruined" due to the dev nerfing items after the community seemed to voice their displeasure.

"The squeaky wheel gets the oil", gotta speak up if you want to be heard.

Changing targeted player bases is not a dick move- mod devs can do what they want right? Free mods and all that? Isn't this the mantra here? It's free, take what they offer or uninstall and don't complain.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
supposedly EE2 was killed due to the community feedback? I've heard a dozen people complain that they loved that mod but it was ruined due to people complaining it was too OP.

Mod devs change mods due to public opinion? I've never used dartcraft, but it was nerfed right? So IMO if no one speaks up, mods I enjoy might get simplified. People on the other side of the coin speak up too. I often see comments about mods that were "ruined" due to the dev nerfing items after the community seemed to voice their displeasure.

"The squeaky wheel gets the oil", gotta speak up if you want to be heard.

Changing targeted player bases is not a dick move- mod devs can do what they want right? Free mods and all that? Isn't this the mantra here? It's free, take what they offer or uninstall and don't complain.
Actually EE changed devs and he wanted a change

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Um, it's kinda another noob-mod and I'm slightly embarrassed of it. Check back in half a year.

Can't be any worse that my work.
My coding ability is akin to Dinnerbone's design ability; practically non-existent, and what's there is poorly implemented, lags and does not work properly.
--Right now I'm tinkering with ore blocks- so they drop 2-3 ore 'fragments' instead of themselves. Each fragment gives 1 nugget. Hopefully I can get explosives to work properly (dropping around 15 nuggets, without killing the dropped items).

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Likewise the wires now have a maximum capacity similar to BC or TE wires.
It's not quite like TE. Many people don't seem to know that (I didn't until recently), but all tiers of TE wires transfer unlimited energy. The limit is in how much energy you can transfer between the wire and other things (machines, engines, storage) per connection face.
To give you an example, dw20 stated in his nether star generator ep that he'd need four separate lines of TE conduits to four energy cells to capture the output. That's completely wrong. You can transfer the full energy output with just one line of TE conduits to just one storage (if it has enough capacity), you just need to connect on five sides each (a nether star generator outputs slightly more than 40000 RF/tick)

Reactions: Pyure

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
But it looks like people tend to "cheat" and use TE to store and transfer power and use magnetostatic engines to actually power stuff :D
Aah, but you still need to keep speed and torque values in mind, especially for things like friction heaters running furnaces, lest you melt the poor things. Besides, the two conversion engines (BC and TE -> RotaryCraft) seem to have a fixed torque level, with varying speeds, nowadays. One isn't enough to run all stages of an extractor, anymore, without either a gearbox or CVT unit. Even when going the "easy" route, you still gotta think, and there's always consequences for not doing things right.

Though, I wouldn't suggest using RotaryCraft without Extra Utilities...the sound mufflers from the latter really take the edge off, as it were.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
As far as EE2 being discontinued is concerned, it wasn't anything to do with player feedback. When Xenoph0be passed Equivalent Exchange to Pahimar, I think Pahimar was open to porting EE2, but after discussing it with Xeno they both decided that EE3 had better potential and should be updated exclusively (also EE2 is closed source and I think it still belongs to Xeno). I'm going from memory here but for interested people looking for sources, some of it is on Pahimar's website and the rest I am sure I read somewhere (take from that whatever you want). In the end it is just another example of modders doing what they want to do, same with Player and Thunderdark with IC2. I think community involvement only has a small influence on the direction of modders with existing mods, which is why this boycott suggestion has been mocked in the way it deserves (it does sound kind of mean when you write it like that though).

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Can't be any worse that my work.
My coding ability is akin to Dinnerbone's design ability; practically non-existent, and what's there is poorly implemented, lags and does not work properly.
--Right now I'm tinkering with ore blocks- so they drop 2-3 ore 'fragments' instead of themselves. Each fragment gives 1 nugget. Hopefully I can get explosives to work properly (dropping around 15 nuggets, without killing the dropped items).
Eh, we can all suck together. Sounds like you got something going though.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I really hate the idea of "let's boycott a mod". Not only are you completely negating the opinions of anyone who may like the mod, but you are basically shoving your @$$ in the dev's face saying "I hate your mod and am going to try to make sure noone uses it!".

I do not particularly like IC2 - it left a bad taste in my mouth when I tried Tekkit in 1.2.5, and I still use it only for its geothermals as early-game AE power - but I would never condone a concerted effort to kill it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It's not quite like TE. Many people don't seem to know that (I didn't until recently), but all tiers of TE wires transfer unlimited energy. The limit is in how much energy you can transfer between the wire and other things (machines, engines, storage) per connection face.
To give you an example, dw20 stated in his nether star generator ep that he'd need four separate lines of TE conduits to four energy cells to capture the output. That's completely wrong. You can transfer the full energy output with just one line of TE conduits to just one storage (if it has enough capacity), you just need to connect on five sides each (a nether star generator outputs slightly more than 40000 RF/tick)
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize the bottleneck was only on the connections (not completely unlike liquiducts, and presumably fluiducts as well)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Aah, but you still need to keep speed and torque values in mind, especially for things like friction heaters running furnaces, lest you melt the poor things. Besides, the two conversion engines (BC and TE -> RotaryCraft) seem to have a fixed torque level, with varying speeds, nowadays. One isn't enough to run all stages of an extractor, anymore, without either a gearbox or CVT unit. Even when going the "easy" route, you still gotta think, and there's always consequences for not doing things right.
If you follow @Reika's versioning at all, yeah, you can see he's keeping a sharp eye on his cross-mod balance. You need some serious gearing if you want to get joy out of a magnetostatic but need high rotation. I tried to do the math to see what I'd need to do to gear up to Isotope Centrifuge speeds; my head exploded and I learned about microturbines instead. Win-win.

Reactions: NegaNote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
If you follow @Reika's versioning at all, yeah, you can see he's keeping a sharp eye on his cross-mod balance. You need some serious gearing if you want to get joy out of a magnetostatic but need high rotation. I tried to do the math to see what I'd need to do to gear up to Isotope Centrifuge speeds; my head exploded and I learned about microturbines instead. Win-win.
:D

Reactions: NegaNote

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That, of course, is when you pull out all the stops and make renewable jet fuel using Extra Bees assisted by GenDustry.