Server running advice?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
If you want cheap but really darn good hosting for something like FTB Beyond 1.5.3 use Shockbyte. I'm paying $7.50/month and the server is handling Beyond just fine (8ms tick time). You really don't need that much RAM to host a server.

https://shockbyte.com/minecraft I've got the cobble plan currently. I started at obsidian but turns out that is massive overkill for 4-5 people. I may try the sand plan next month ($5/mo).

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Wow, those prices are ridiculously low. That same cobblestone pack is $30 on mcprohosting. I'll have to look into this one for sure. I'm still skeptical because that's just too good to be true, but I will research them up and down and all around throughout the day.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, those prices are ridiculously low. That same cobblestone pack is $30 on mcprohosting. I'll have to look into this one for sure. I'm still skeptical because that's just too good to be true, but I will research them up and down and all around throughout the day.

I hear you; I thought the same thing. @Middleclaw and I have been playing on this server for two years now. I think its been down a total of 20 hours or so. These guys are crushing it. Plus, what do you risk $7.50?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I just sent them an email to explain my goals to make 100% sure they can give me what I'm looking for. I dug through the whole site, though. I'm impressed. I really am. There doesn't seem to be a downside. Their PC's look like they are about the same as the other site. This might be pretty awesome.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure you request a Java 8 server. Some of their servers are still on Java 7 but 1.10 prefers 8. The hosting panel will confirm that your server is running 8.

server_zpscfqrf7pz.png

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Good call. I will definitely do that.

They even give full FTP support... there really doesn't seem to be a downside at all. Their whole interface looks just like MCprohosting, too, so it's not like I even have to learn something new. This is blowing my mind, lol.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Middleclaw handles the server admin duties but yeah, we upload new worlds via FTP as well as save world downloads.

D

Daihok

Wow yea im definately looking into this as well. Think i need to learn more for sure though have never ran a server. Hell i still have some problems setting some not all but some configs the way i want.

D

Daihok

How much server ram would actually be needed to run a good sized Modpack like around 160 mods or so?

D

Daihok

Hmm quick question i see people talking about it all the time that even just playing single player is best to do on a server that it will increase preformance quite a bit, but what I dont undertsand is how because it seems like your still running just as many mods client side as you are server side so how would it improve preformance?

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
As a test you can download the server for whatever pack you want to play, fire it up on a local machine, note its RAM usage, and then have people log in one at a time to see how the RAM usage grows. That should give you a pretty good idea of how much is actually needed.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm quick question i see people talking about it all the time that even just playing single player is best to do on a server that it will increase preformance quite a bit, but what I dont undertsand is how because it seems like your still running just as many mods client side as you are server side so how would it improve preformance?

Because you are breaking the task into two java processes so one core can run the world and one core can run your interaction with the world. Remember modded MC is single-core and super processor bound so anything you can do to break the work up so it can be fed to multiple cores is hugely helpful. Think of it as parallelization.

EDIT: The above answer assumes a local server. Again in the case of a remote server handling the world tick and all the ticking tile entities can really add up. Being able to offload those duties to another box lightens the load on your machine significantly.

Reactions: Daihok
D

Daihok

By the way thanks for answering this stuff greatly appreciated. Like i said before just trying to learn everything i can cause def interested in getting server going. Prolly will start as single player till i learn stuff then may expand it to MP.

D

Daihok

Hmm would it be more beneficial starting my own server or renting one? I posted my pc specs so not sure which to do. I mean if i can split my cores for running server then another one for running the client, would it be better to just do all on my pc?

D

Daihok

Because you are breaking the task into two java processes so one core can run the world and one core can run your interaction with the world. Remember modded MC is single-core and super processor bound so anything you can do to break the work up so it can be fed to multiple cores is hugely helpful. Think of it as parallelization.

EDIT: The above answer assumes a local server. Again in the case of a remote server handling the world tick and all the ticking tile entities can really add up. Being able to offload those duties to another box lightens the load on your machine significantly.
Ahh ok this just answered my last question didnt see it till now

D

Daihok

How do i set it to where one core is being used by server and another core for clent? Also i cant seem to get the .bat file i made to up the memory of the server to even load. The regular forge loader loads the server so not sure what im doin wrong.

Last edited:

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Something like this should put you on the right track for a WinBloze machine: https://superuser.com/questions/908848/how-do-i-permanently-set-the-affinity-of-a-process

You can also just bring up the task manager, right click the process, and assign it to a particular core. Doing this each time is a PITA but it should work. Also in theory, windows should be smart enough to do this but you never know. In a perfect world you'd have a core for the OS, one for the server, a third for the client, and then a fourth for everything else.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
ChemE, do you know if there's a screen somewhere where I can see the ram usage? That's literally the only thing that seems to be missing.

Otherwise, all set up and I can finally just play! It's a bit laggy, but I didn't specify a server location, so maybe they can migrate it fir me, or maybe there's some other issue (I pinged it at 48ms, which doesn't seem that bad, so I dunno.) But, other than that, so far so good!