Server running advice?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Similar on the Linux as well. I run Ubuntu server 16.04 on my current server and 14.04 for about 3 years on my previous. Mine is a little different in that there is no desktop GUI. I do everything via command line (Putty) and SFTP (file transfers using WinSCP).

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Nothing wrong with that. If need the GUI use it. But, MC servers don't require it and run just fine without it. I don't even run any type of webadmin like MCMyAdmin either.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I was just making a joke at my own expense for my lack of experience with ubuntu :p

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest pain in my arse was getting Java 8 installed. That to me was 1000x harder than doing the same on a WinBloze machine. And be prepared to be like 8 updates behind your windows friends (not that that really matters). For instance, I'm currently on Java 8 Update 45.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Good tip for the future.

I have an update on shockbyte. I finally heard from someone who was able to actually read, understand and comment on my ticket with some actual knowledge. They gave me two free weeks for the poor service and are going to help me resolve my issues, including adding the arguments for the garbage collector and moving me to a closer server. I will give them a fair chance.

This was 45 minutes before I got home and was going to move to a different server.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm still dubious, but frankly, I'm just sick of configuring, so if they come correct, I'll let them continue. Now that I have their attention, they'll set up the arguments for the garbage collector and move me to a geographically closer server, then that's all I need them for. The map runs. I've got about 60 hours into it already. This is still the cheapest option for now, and I'm still eventually going to get my own hardware when I'm feeling rich again.

But right now, I just wanna play.

bluehathacker

Jul 24, 2020
yeah, I was gonna say Shockbyte isn't really known for their customer service as you can see in this Shockbyte review

They simply can't afford good customer service due to the low price. You get what you pay for.