Seeking: Guides - Reloaded

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all, this is sort of a continuation of @FunshineX's thread, mostly to avoid spamming people's email/notification inboxes. He has also been removed from the team, as well as most of the team talking in that thread, so I may as well start a new one.

Edit: This has been asked a few times, so I figure I'll edit this post and explain how you submit a guide. It really doesn't matter. You can PM it to me here on the forums, upload a text file and send it to me, go to the wiki and create a page yourself. Whatever works best for you and I equally, or better for you, is the way to do it.

Anyway, we are looking for guides (Getting Started, and explanations of mod mechanics). The top priority of guides would be Getting Started, but other guides are great as well. Like with Funshine's thread, Getting Started guides should assume zero knowledge of the mod, though assume they know how to play Minecraft. For other types of guides (like Signaling and Switching), it is okay to assume they have read the Getting Started guide for that mod.

Some basic principles that you should follow when creating guides (basically the same as the other thread)
  • We do not support plagiarism on the Wiki. DO NOT copy guides from other places (forum threads, websites, other wikis, etc).
  • If you do not quite understand the way recipes/tables/templates work, that is okay. There's no need to include images of those. If you need a template, but don't want to learn the syntax, feel free to let someone on the team know, and they'll do it (I'm fairly responsive).
  • Don't worry about formatting, we can handle that.
  • Try to stay away from advanced topics, if it is necessary then make an "Advanced Guide" on that mod.
  • Spoilers are okay. Users reading wikis should assume there will be spoilers.

A good guide would include the following (basically the same as the other thread)
  • Why would a player want to use the mod?
  • Resources, recommended farms, and such required to get started with the mod.
  • Tips/tricks that a n00b wouldn't know.
  • A list of some blocks at the end that they should work toward, and why.
  • What other mods have compatibility, or just work well with <mod>

List of needed Getting Started guides (that I have found) in order of general priority:
  • Steve's Carts
  • Ars Magica 2
  • Botania See Advanced Genetics
  • Advanced Genetics I think Real is doing it or something.
  • Tinkers' Construct @madnewmy is writing it, I will be cleaning up mistakes and grammar. It is now being replaced by @ShneekeyTheLost 's guid.
  • Applied Energistics We will be using @ShneekeyTheLost 's guide.
  • ComputerCraft (it's currently WiP, but discontinued) -here-
  • Thaumcraft 4 @Feniks is writing it.
  • Magic Farm 2 modpack @madnewmy has written it, it is in need of cleanup and grammatical/spelling corrections. If someone could check the accuracy that would be awesome. You can view it -here-
  • Logistics Pipes
  • GregTech It is being transferred from the old GT wiki.
  • MineFactory Reloaded
  • RotaryCraft @madnewmy has written it, it is in need of cleanup and grammatical/spelling corrections. If someone could check the accuracy that would be awesome. You can view it -here-
  • ReactorCraft
  • Ender IO @trajing is doing it.
  • Big Reactors
  • MFFS Calclavia
  • Modular Power Suits
  • qCraft
  • Engineers Toolbox
  • Tropicraft
  • Natura
  • Metallurgy 3
  • DartCraft
  • Roguelike Dungeons
  • Project Red

List of needed other guides:
  • Advanced Applied Energistics
  • Mystcraft Age Creation
  • Track Controls for Beginners (Railcraft)
  • Switching Examples (Railcraft)
  • Witchery Ritual Guide
  • Magic Farm/Magic Farm 2 Guide (changes to vanilla, etc)
  • Blood n Bones Guide (changes to vanilla, etc)

If you do see any guides that are not here, and are also not on the wiki, please create them (if needed). I simply went through the Mods and Minor Mods dropdowns and checked each mod that is slightly complex, to see if they had guides. I'll gladly create a mod page for any mod, and will link your guide there.

You will be given credit for your work, but the Wiki Team and normal users have the right to change it if needed. Note that I check just about every new change in the Recent Changes log every 8 hours or so, so I will make sure your guides do not get vandalized.

If you are interested in contributing to the wiki, but not in the form of guides, you are welcome to do so. If you do not know what to do, check the Current Issues Page (http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Feed_The_Beast_wiki:Current_Issues - I'm having problems with hyperlinking). You can also check Project:Mod Maintainers to see what mods are partially done, not done, and in progress. For any questions, post a message here, send me a private message, or leave a message on my talk page. If you don't feel like doing either of these, but still want to contribute, check this forum section to see how you can help out (hint: we still need translators).

Edit: Here are some examples of quality guides:

Thanks!

Last edited:

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I give you full rights to plagiarize whatever you would like from "BnB Tips from Eyamaz" under the guides spoiler from the main BnB thread as I add to it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Quick question for you @SatanicSanta: Are the mods you have listed in the OP ones that have priority over others, or is this just a general list?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question for you @SatanicSanta: Are the mods you have listed in the OP ones that have priority over others, or is this just a general list?
It's just a general list, but maybe I should make it in order of priority...

/me totally doesn't do that >.>

Edit: They are in order of priority now.

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It's just a general list, but maybe I should make it in order of priority...

/me totally doesn't do that >.>

Okay, cause I noticed Ender IO wasn't on there, and since I can't figure out the progression in that mod I was hoping to see a guide pop up for it. :p

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, cause I noticed Ender IO wasn't on there, and since I can't figure out the progression in that mod I was hoping to see a guide pop up for it. :p
added

also, i went ahead and put it in order of priority, based on if the mod has a decent page, relative templates, a tilesheet, and how complex it is.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
added

also, i went ahead and put it in order of priority, based on if the mod has a decent page, relative templates, a tilesheet, and how complex it is.

Oh nice. Want me to take on a different one after Blood Magic based on the current priority list, or just go ahead with MFFS?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Oh nice. Want me to take on a different one after Blood Magic based on the current priority list, or just go ahead with MFFS?
I really don't mind whichever you choose to do, but I think this conversation belongs in a "different forum", ts, or irc or something :p

Reactions: Padfoote

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
OK, I don't really feel like making an FTB wiki account because the "confirmation code" questions are WAY to specific and case sensitive, like it asked what mod adds engines and I said "Build Craft" and it said no i was wrong, WTF!!!!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a serious need for AM2 help? I'm hardly a novice with it, though I am often stuck near early game.
I mean, it's not like I occasionally get pissed off at people for failing to keep up to date with AM2 changes or anything, you huge baka! /tsundre

Anyway, off to go get some primo survival food. Mmm MMM. Boy I do so love those McDoubles.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why that one is there. It's YouTuber I believe.
I can't spell Buildcraft correctly, apparently, and despite my best efforts, no, it won't accept Elloram as the person who made RedPower 2. I did get it to agree with me when I said that Notch was the first dev on Minecraft, even though that's not his name.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I can't spell Buildcraft correctly, apparently, and despite my best efforts, no, it won't accept Elloram as the person who made RedPower 2. I did get it to agree with me when I said that Notch was the first dev on Minecraft, even though that's not his name.
BC, BuildCraft, and Eloraam