Scrap Vs Scrap Box for Matter Fabricator?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Spikerbond

Jul 29, 2019
I have an automatic scrap farm set up, and I was just wondering if it would be better to feed the scrap directly into the matter fabricator or to use an auto crafting bench and feed scrap boxes to it?

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I have an automatic scrap farm set up, and I was just wondering if it would be better to feed the scrap directly into the matter fabricator or to use an auto crafting bench and feed scrap boxes to it?

Wait... you can feed scrap boxes into a mass fab?

Spikerbond

Jul 29, 2019
Im using a matter fabricator not the mass fabricator, but I do believe you can use scrap boxes in the mass fabricator.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
You can use scrapbox in the matter fabricator (there was a bug where you couldn't use it, and it was fixed a long time ago).. Scrapbox should be better than scrap (storage wise).. Don't use the auto crafting table, I recommend using Factorization packer.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly certain the matter fabricator will only accept scrap, period.

The Mass fabricator is the vanilla IC2 one and only uses scrap.

Gregtech's Matter fabricator can use all kinds of amplifiers including scrap boxes, enderpearl dust, gem dusts, etc.

If you have an automated system to keep the scrap flowing, then you don't need to worry about compacting it into boxes. Either works fine, but scrap boxes last longer.

Reactions: Chocorate

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
The Mass fabricator is the vanilla IC2 one and only uses scrap.

Gregtech's Matter fabricator can use all kinds of amplifiers including scrap boxes, enderpearl dust, gem dusts, etc.

If you have an automated system to keep the scrap flowing, then you don't need to worry about compacting it into boxes. Either works fine, but scrap boxes last longer.
As long as GregTech is installed, the Mass Fabricator can also use the extra amplifier materials. Both work on Scrap or Scrapboxes.

Scrapboxes provide nine times the amplifier of a piece of Scrap, so they are functionally the same. It would be simpler to use just scrap, but if storage is more of a concern than simplicity, then Scrapboxes would be better.

Skout

Jul 29, 2019
And just in case anyone is wondering (like I was), this reasoning means there is zero reason to have more than one matterfab, no matter what amplifier you use. Given the same amount of energy, two matterfabs will produce an equal amount of uum as one and chew up just as much amplifying material in the process.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
And just in case anyone is wondering (like I was), this reasoning means there is zero reason to have more than one matterfab, no matter what amplifier you use. Given the same amount of energy, two matterfabs will produce an equal amount of uum as one and chew up just as much amplifying material in the process.
Actually in later versions of GregTech I believe Greg stated he's going to change the matterfab maximum limit from 8192 EU/p to 8192EU/t making it so that more than one matterfab is necessary for serious UU production, assuming he hasn't already.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've read in the changelogs, the 8192eu/tick has already been implemented. It looks like he implemented this to stop people from getting lots of uu matter from a single lightning strike as a single strike contains enough energy to fill multiple MFSUs. Lightning rods along with a stormy mystcraft age or certain bees could be used to get constant lightning strikes and generate way more uu mater in a short time than Greg intended.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
You can use scrapbox in the matter fabricator (there was a bug where you couldn't use it, and it was fixed a long time ago).. Scrapbox should be better than scrap (storage wise).. Don't use the auto crafting table, I recommend using Factorization packer.
I make my scrapboxes in a Xycraft fabricator. And then I open them manually and put the wooden tools in a generator to charge my jetpack. Yeah I'm not quite up to the matter fabricator stage. But when I am, I plan to use nikolite as an amplifier :D

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Ender Eye dust is a good mix of easy to acquire and amplification amount. Not only is the ender eye dust 150% the value of ender pearl dust (and slightly more than that against scrap boxes), but you get two dusts per eye.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Ender Eye dust is a good mix of easy to acquire and amplification amount. Not only is the ender eye dust 150% the value of ender pearl dust (and slightly more than that against scrap boxes), but you get two dusts per eye.
Thanks! And ender eyes are pretty readily available to me in large quantities :D

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Actually in later versions of GregTech I believe Greg stated he's going to change the matterfab maximum limit from 8192 EU/p to 8192EU/t making it so that more than one matterfab is necessary for serious UU production, assuming he hasn't already.

whats the difference? it means that if you have something generate 8192 eu/t (like a crapload of solar panels) if you place another 512 eu/t it will loose energy or what?

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Matter Fabricator cannot use scrap fast enough for your scrap production to ever be a problem (unless you have a ridiculous amount of energy being fed into the matter fab which wont be possible much longer because input is capped to 8k eu on latest version). If you're used to a mass fab and how quick they eat scrap you have to factor in that each uu created with the matter fab requires 16.7 million eu, as opposed to the 166k eu of a mass fab.

I am using a just in time approach to scrap production, my matter fab is currently receiving 6144eu/t being fed by 4 igneous extruders producing cobble that gets fed into 1 (6x OC'd) recycler. I have capacity to add more igneous extrduders if needed as the recycler isn't running at capacity (and could take 4 more overclockers too).

Creating scrap boxes is an unnecessary link in the chain.

With multiple matter fabs each receiving 8k eu/t you may want to expand the igneous/recycler feed, boxes maybe useful here.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
The advantage of scrap boxes is storage, if you start your scrap production before building the mass/matter fab they are quite nice to handle, and once you begin creating UU, they are also easy to move around in pipe/tubes since you'll have 9 times less items to move.
they can also be used if you dont run your matter/mass fab full time, like if it's solar powered an only run in the day, then you can use the night to build up on scrap boxes and have 9 times the amplifier ready inside the mass/matter fab ready for the first rays of dawn

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
The advantage of scrap boxes is storage, if you start your scrap production before building the mass/matter fab they are quite nice to handle, and once you begin creating UU, they are also easy to move around in pipe/tubes since you'll have 9 times less items to move.
they can also be used if you dont run your matter/mass fab full time, like if it's solar powered an only run in the day, then you can use the night to build up on scrap boxes and have 9 times the amplifier ready inside the mass/matter fab ready for the first rays of dawn

That was once my view, because before FTB I'd been used to tekkit and non gregtech uu fabrication requires 100x more scrap than with gregtech. With gregtech you don't need scrap storage, it's easier and makes more sense to create scrap on demand.

That said, if for some reason anyone wanted to store massive amounts of scrap for no reason, scrap boxes are the way to go, my setup on my pre-ultimate server (which recycled all my unwanted quarry resources) has left me with 3 interdimensional barrels full of scrap boxes.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that by the time I'm ready to produce serious amounts of scrap I'm also ready to start burning it in a mass fab. Early on I'd recycle cobble/dirt/gravel/flint/etc. from quarries, now I just have 80+ igneous extruder/recycler pairs that are emptied by router directly into the mass fab. I'm turning out an HV solar every 1-2 hours from the UU-matter. Seems to be going quicker as I add HV solars, lol.

But sure, if you do have more scrap than you can put in an upgraded barrel run it through a packager---or even better a xycraft fabricator(which is much, much faster than the packager)---to save space.