Running server and client on same computer... issues.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure where to put tech questions so will post here and someone let me know if it should be moved...

Ok this is the problem. When I started a Regrowth server (happens for any server though) for myself and a friend for some reason the Java for the client starts climbing until it pretty much maxes out the usage (about 4.6gigs). Even though I have set the launcher to only use 4gigs of ram.

When the launcher it's self is running without starting any pack the task manager shows the following,
java.exe
javaw.exe

The java.exe is the server and it stabilizes when people are on at about 2.4gigs and other people playing have no issues. The javaw.exe is the launcher which looks fine at about .15gig.

When I start the Regrowth pack it shows,

javaw.exe
javaw.exe
java.exe

Once the mod pack starts running there is no way to tell the difference between the 2 javaw.exe 's. But 1 stabilizes at about 2.3gigs. The other just keeps climbing until it gets over 4gigs. That's when the lag starts and after it gets to about 4.6gigs Minecraft crashes entirely. (The server its self seems unaffected)

Once it gets past 4gigs used for the one javaw the lag gets progressively worse until the game freezes for 10 or more seconds at a time then unfreezes for about 5 seconds then refreezes, etc.

I've deleted and fully updated my java to the newest version. I deleted all FTB files, including the server and launcher files. Everything is newly downloaded and installed and still the issue continues.

Oh and when I set the launcher to reopen to try to keep the console up to check what happened in the console both console and launcher are totally frozen after a crash and have to be force closed through the task manager.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You're probably pushing your system a little too hard trying to run both a server and client on it. The first thing that stands out to me is that you're giving your client 4GB of RAM. Don't do this for any reason as Java will continue past the allocated amount and cause issues. Dedicate at most 3GB, preferably 2-2.5GB.

Reactions: rhn

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Well I found a workaround for now. It isn't a solution but it's working for now. When I log into the game as soon as I click the modpack I want to start the game I can immediately stop the javaw.exe that was being used by the launcher. I can tell which it is because it is the larger of the 2 for the first 10 seconds or so. The one that's left over continues to load the game and settles at about 2.5 gigs.

In case anyone else is having the same problem this should help. It is not a solution but it will stop the lag if you're having the same issues I was having.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is some packs (inc Regrowth) cause the console which loads up with the FTB launcher to get spammed to hell and back with error messages. This causes java which is running the console to spike heavily on RAM usage and eventually ends up using more RAM than the actual game. You found your solution already and that's to kill the java thread running the console and yeah I've had this with Regrowth.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Up until Mc 1.6.4 I always ran a dedicated server even for my single player worlds as it decoupled the render FPS from the server tps and, if the client crashed, it wouldn't corrupt the game.

My 1.7.10 modpacks however have suffered from very bad tps and FPS issues that do not manifest if I run ssp

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I run my own server for the same reason Chris Becke mentioned, and I have not had this issue in either 1.6.4 or 1.7.10, and my computer is only decent. However I use MultiMC. Perhaps it may be more RAM efficient than the FTB launcher? I know nothing about java usage, but you might give that a try.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I run my own server for the same reason Chris Becke mentioned, and I have not had this issue in either 1.6.4 or 1.7.10, and my computer is only decent. However I use MultiMC. Perhaps it may be more RAM efficient than the FTB launcher? I know nothing about java usage, but you might give that a try.

I've been running the ftb server download for the modpack (so it runs using the ftb provided server jar) but I do use the vanilla launcher for the client. I specifically noticed that the tps bottomed out with the Direwolf20 pack, I added fastcraft and tick dynamic, both of which improved the situation a lot. But then, while attempting to deterimine the cause of the low client fps (and server fps) copied the offending save to my ssp saves folder to see if Opis could report anything significant, and the problem just went away.