Rubber tree farming

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

joseff amador

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that using the regular arboretum/logger with rubber tree saplings was sufficient to get plenty of rubber (just put the rubber logs in an extractor)

My question is, is that true? Since rubber tree saplings are so rare, isn't it possible that you could feed your saplings into the arboretum, only to yield trees that drop no saplings themselves? I'm in a world where rubber trees are scarce, so I'm kind of nervous to feed my only saplings into an arboretum.

Has anyone actually done this that can offer advice? Thanks!

Xikulis

Jul 29, 2019
With the old version without the universal farming you netted positive saplings though not as much as regular trees. I started mine with 10 saplings on current server and I've got a couple spare stacks now.

Matthew83

Jul 29, 2019
On my latest Mindcrack SSP world I noticed rubber trees are not scarce at all. Granted they are not close my original spawn but all I had to do was find a swamp and gather several of them. I guess I've been trying to find more Silverwood trees lately and in comparison rubber trees seem like they are everywhere.

joseff amador

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for this answer:

With the old version without the universal farming you netted positive saplings though not as much as regular trees. I started mine with 10 saplings on current server and I've got a couple spare stacks now.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that using the regular arboretum/logger with rubber tree saplings was sufficient to get plenty of rubber (just put the rubber logs in an extractor)

My question is, is that true? Since rubber tree saplings are so rare, isn't it possible that you could feed your saplings into the arboretum, only to yield trees that drop no saplings themselves? I'm in a world where rubber trees are scarce, so I'm kind of nervous to feed my only saplings into an arboretum.

They aren't nearly as rare as silverwood, you will net a positive amount of saplings even if you manually plant and harvest them. You will get an occasional one that doesn't drop a sapling though.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019

I would recommend using the MultiFarms as the old farms will probobly be removed (depending on how long you plan to keep your world). Rubber trees aren't that rare, try a swamp biome.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The old forestry farms cannot be crafted now (unless you changed it in the config) but what I will say is the new rubber tree multi farms, well lets put it this way, you wont be short of sticky resin ..... EVER!!!

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
The old forestry farms cannot be crafted now (unless you changed it in the config) but what I will say is the new rubber tree multi farms, well lets put it this way, you wont be short of sticky resin ..... EVER!!!
Oh, I didn't notice they had changed the config. Yeah, so they are definitely not really meant to be used anymore.

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
Try using the Forestry Grafter, now sure if it is in the pack and version you are using, it almost garenties at least 1 sapling per leaf

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Try using the Forestry Grafter, now sure if it is in the pack and version you are using, it almost garenties at least 1 sapling per leaf
... Assuming that rubber trees have genetic saplings, since I'm pretty sure the grafter requires that.

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Another option to look at if you're looking for rubber is farming up a tier-5 slime soul shard. It takes a little more effort on your part initially, but it's MUCH cheaper, requires no power, and is a set-it-up-and-forget-it system. Slime soul shards also fill up very quickly, as one large slime can yield up to 21 kills, and with a soul stealer sword, well...you can do the math. I got mine filled up super quick by just flying down to the bottom of my quarry every once in a while. And you'll get slimeballs while you farm, so you won't be lacking rubber while you work on it.

Reactions: Matthew83

Matthew83

Jul 29, 2019
Another option to look at if you're looking for rubber is farming up a tier-5 slime soul shard. It takes a little more effort on your part initially, but it's MUCH cheaper, requires no power, and is a set-it-up-and-forget-it system. Slime soul shards also fill up very quickly, as one large slime can yield up to 21 kills, and with a soul stealer sword, well...you can do the math. I got mine filled up super quick by just flying down to the bottom of my quarry every once in a while. And you'll get slimeballs while you farm, so you won't be lacking rubber while you work on it.
I had no idea slimeballs can be used to make rubber! Thanks for the tip! Not sure if I will make a slime farm but it is awesome to have that option!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019

Ignore this, it seems that FTB took it upon themselves to re-enable the old farms and that disables the uncrafting recipe.....

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Why did they have to change the farms in the 1st place? The only real difference now is they're more complicated to set up (although this could be due to the lack of any decent guides). I know the new farms are more expensive, but its not hard to change the cost of a certain item.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
can you explain the slimes to rubber? is this one of those hidden ic2 recipes like the sticky resin torches?

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Why did they have to change the farms in the 1st place? The only real difference now is they're more complicated to set up (although this could be due to the lack of any decent guides). I know the new farms are more expensive, but its not hard to change the cost of a certain item.
the new farms are better overall just at the ease of changeing it to farm a differnt crop easly for rubber i have a small 1 setup gives me way more rubber then i will ever need but overall thay are more expensive on the copper/tin

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
can you explain the slimes to rubber? is this one of those hidden ic2 recipes like the sticky resin torches?

If I remember correctly, a slimeball in a furnace yields a sticky resin which can be extracted into 3 rubber (or more in an industrial centrifuge if you use the Mindcrack pack). You can also extract it straight away for two rubber.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
If I remember correctly, a slimeball in a furnace yields a sticky resin which can be extracted into 3 rubber (or more in an industrial centrifuge if you use the Mindcrack pack). You can also extract it straight away for two rubber.

Your memory serves true. The ind. centrifuge makes four rubber per sticky resin, but it requires four sticky resin (sixteen rubber, for those of you counting along) and takes a minute and five seconds. Whereas an extractor with twenty overclockers and four energy storage upgrades (assuming you properly power it to get enough packets, of course) will give you three full stacks of rubber before your ind. centrifuge has even started to pass the halfway point.