Rotarycraft - the mindblower and builds

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Heres a question, can you produce lubricant by grinding canola seeds in any other mods machines, like say TE3's machines?

No, you cannot. Other grinding machines do not have tanks anyway, so it would be very difficult (and also rather pointless) to add one just for that purpose.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Are you trying to pump up (in height)? I'm not sure how realistic Reika went with pressure (gauge vs. absolute, head loss, etc), but if you are generating 109 kPa absolute, that's just barely above atmospheric pressure of 101.3 kPa, so you would be generating almost no flow and certainly very little head, so you wouldn't be able to move the fluid up in height or very far down a horizontal pipeline.

This all goes out the window if pressure read at the pumps is gauge.

How long is your pipeline? How high above the pump does it go?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vasa

HejaHammerfall

Jul 29, 2019
I used an aqueous accumulator for the water. If you use burning netherrack beneath the steam engine instead of lava you don't need the cooling fin.[DOUBLEPOST=1387406998][/DOUBLEPOST]

Bevel gears to make 90 degree turns with your shaft line. Regardless of what engines you use you can put an industrial coil in between the extractor and the engines and use it to set the speed/torque you need. Or you can use CVTs. I'm really short on leather so I can't afford the belts.
Then i Recommend you to build a Cow farm ;) A small tip :)

siege

Jul 29, 2019
Are you trying to pump up (in height)? I'm not sure how realistic Reika went with pressure (gauge vs. absolute, head loss, etc), but if you are generating 109 kPa absolute, that's just barely above atmospheric pressure of 101.3 kPa, so you would be generating almost no flow and certainly very little head, so you wouldn't be able to move the fluid up in height or very far down a horizontal pipeline.

This all goes out the window if pressure read at the pumps is gauge.

How long is your pipeline? How high above the pump does it go?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Actually, I had figured this might be the wrong thread for the question, so I reposted it somewhere that seemed more appropriate. There's a full breakdown of my setup - including picss - here, with a reply from Reika indicating my problem may be due to using a month-old RC version.

For reference, I have probably 30 to 40 pieces of piping carrying the water, which dips 1 or 2 blocks below the pumps for much of the path, then perhaps 3 blocks above the level of the pumps at where I want the sprinklers to be. I have also had the pumps several blocks above, with no help. In all cases, when reading the pressure in the pipes at the point they connect to the pumps, there is no pressure.

OCP

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet thread indeed. Started on Monster recently and wanted to give rotary a try. bit of a learning curve but its got some major potential.
I currently have 6 steam engines through a 4:1 gearbox to a grinder supplying 4 hydros which are powering a boring machine via some more gearboxes. works fine but a bit slow at ~21s/action.

I also have a 2nd grinder powered by a gearbox and 2 hydros supplying lube to 6 hydros for charging and other uses. All canola is being fed by a 4x6 (4 fan) farm powered by 3 steam engines. Keeps up without issue (constant, slow surplus of seeds but still a surplus). got a crazy ethanol setup going, at 11k ethanol and counting (MFR treefarm/sugarfarm is key there, lol) The only issues I'm having atm are the extractor, I don't have a good way to keep it fully powered yet. Currently its powered off 2 magnetos sourced by 4 hardened cells, enough energy to process 32-48 ore in a go before draining. So that's still a bit manual but the ore return is crazy worth it.

**Point of warning**, industrial coils do indeed explode if overcharged. Had one I forgot about early on and it blew a nice ~15-20x15-20 crater in my base lol. So charging area is now isolated and encased in obsidian, did some blast testing in SP and found that 3 layers of basalt cobblestone or 1-2 layers of obsidian is enough to contain the possible explosion.

Base after explosion
BaseCoil.png

Blast testing
CoilTest.png

In regards to the boring machine, I did some testing in SP and hooked it up to a turbine, it was going at 3.9s/action! So this thing can get seriously cranked up with high amounts of speed and the torque requirement is pretty low comparatively. I don't have mine enchanted yet though.

Some other threads I read said that an extractor can run off just 2 gasoline engines, I can strongly confirm this is NOT the case after testing in SP. Took 5 engines and several gearboxes to make it function 24x7 Performance engines fared a bit better but also require a catalyst (redstone, blaze powder or one other i forgot). I think doing steam>magneto is going to be the simplest way of getting an extractor constantly running but id like to run it off rotary to see what it takes. As long as you have the raw material supply a single pair of fermenters can easily keep up the ethanol production and can be run off DC engines and just need a water supply.

I also want to add that despite the bit of learning curve this is a really fun mod and I wish other mods would include such an informative book in game! lol
Jet fuel is going to be a serious endeavor though.

*edit: also if you have them aqueous accumulators are much better at providing water for these machines (less machines) so I run accumulators into RC liquid pipes for just about everything. It also supplies enough water pressure for sprinklers quite easily though I haven't set any up yet on the server.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet thread indeed. Started on Monster recently and wanted to give rotary a try. bit of a learning curve but its got some major potential.
I currently have 6 steam engines through a 4:1 gearbox to a grinder supplying 4 hydros which are powering a boring machine via some more gearboxes. works fine but a bit slow at ~21s/action.

I also have a 2nd grinder powered by a gearbox and 2 hydros supplying lube to 6 hydros for charging and other uses. All canola is being fed by a 4x6 (4 fan) farm powered by 3 steam engines. Keeps up without issue (constant, slow surplus of seeds but still a surplus). got a crazy ethanol setup going, at 11k ethanol and counting (MFR treefarm/sugarfarm is key there, lol) The only issues I'm having atm are the extractor, I don't have a good way to keep it fully powered yet. Currently its powered off 2 magnetos sourced by 4 hardened cells, enough energy to process 32-48 ore in a go before draining. So that's still a bit manual but the ore return is crazy worth it.

**Point of warning**, industrial coils do indeed explode if overcharged. Had one I forgot about early on and it blew a nice ~15-20x15-20 crater in my base lol. So charging area is now isolated and encased in obsidian, did some blast testing in SP and found that 3 layers of basalt cobblestone or 1-2 layers of obsidian is enough to contain the possible explosion.

Base after explosion
View attachment 12559

Blast testing
View attachment 12560

In regards to the boring machine, I did some testing in SP and hooked it up to a turbine, it was going at 3.9s/action! So this thing can get seriously cranked up with high amounts of speed and the torque requirement is pretty low comparatively. I don't have mine enchanted yet though.

Some other threads I read said that an extractor can run off just 2 gasoline engines, I can strongly confirm this is NOT the case after testing in SP. Took 5 engines and several gearboxes to make it function 24x7 Performance engines fared a bit better but also require a catalyst (redstone, blaze powder or one other i forgot). I think doing steam>magneto is going to be the simplest way of getting an extractor constantly running but id like to run it off rotary to see what it takes. As long as you have the raw material supply a single pair of fermenters can easily keep up the ethanol production and can be run off DC engines and just need a water supply.

I also want to add that despite the bit of learning curve this is a really fun mod and I wish other mods would include such an informative book in game! lol
Jet fuel is going to be a serious endeavor though.

*edit: also if you have them aqueous accumulators are much better at providing water for these machines (less machines) so I run accumulators into RC liquid pipes for just about everything. It also supplies enough water pressure for sprinklers quite easily though I haven't set any up yet on the server.
Gasoline engines would indeed be enough actually. Remember you don't need to run all 4 stages at once. Many people switch between torque and speed using a CVT unit or doing it manually with a screwdriver and gearbox(not saying it's fast however...).
That said, I stuck with a grinder until late game since I was getting plenty of materials out of it(A grinder is ridiculously easy to overclock and gives 3x ore processing.) The only reason why I got an extractor running was that I needed tungsten for reactorcraft.

OCP

Jul 29, 2019
Gasoline engines would indeed be enough actually. Remember you don't need to run all 4 stages at once. Many people switch between torque and speed using a CVT unit or doing it manually with a screwdriver and gearbox(not saying it's fast however...).
That said, I stuck with a grinder until late game since I was getting plenty of materials out of it(A grinder is ridiculously easy to overclock and gives 3x ore processing.) The only reason why I got an extractor running was that I needed tungsten for reactorcraft.

Ah that makes a bit more sense, there was no mention of not running all stages at once. Trying to automated ore processing with one at the moment so really need them all to run together. Takes a lot more power to do that it seems. Ethanol production I think is plenty fine but need to do some tinkering in my test world to see how many I actually need.

looks like I would need 16 steam, 8 gas engines or 4 performance, can run either through a 2:1 gearbox for faster processing on the later two. now that I have steam boilers running might still be more effecting to run it off 2 magneto's like im doing now. consumes just under 40MJ/t to do it that way, lol. but one boiler outputs much more than that so....

*edit* also earlier in the thread there was mention on the boring machine only pulling cobble eventually, I discovered this last night. I have no idea how far its bored but its a looong ways. shut it down for now until I move it since i dont need just cobble lol

Last edited:

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Ah that makes a bit more sense, there was no mention of not running all stages at once. Trying to automated ore processing with one at the moment so really need them all to run together. Takes a lot more power to do that it seems. Ethanol production I think is plenty fine but need to do some tinkering in my test world to see how many I actually need.

looks like I would need 16 steam, 8 gas engines or 4 performance, can run either through a 2:1 gearbox for faster processing on the later two. now that I have steam boilers running might still be more effecting to run it off 2 magneto's like im doing now. consumes just under 40MJ/t to do it that way, lol. but one boiler outputs much more than that so...

A heads up, all 3 of those methods of power are giving you different amounts. 16 steam engines is 262.144KW. 8 Gas engines is 524.280 KW, and 4 Performance engines is 1.048576 MW. ( In fact, 1 Performance is the same as your 16 steam. )

Make sure to always look at the different ways to run your extractor btw as you can feed it more power. Due to the complexity of the multiple stages, each having different requirements and speed curves, there are several different ways to do it. Here's some of the numbers to help:

Stage 1 and 4 max out at 32,768 r/s, giving a processing time of 1 tick. ( IE: 20 per second. ) This will require 16,777,216 W due to the 512NM of torque required.
Stage 2 and 3 max out at 1,048,576 r/s. At 8NM of torque, that's 8MW to max these 2 stages out.

Until you hit the 16MW mark, you will probably want multiple extractors due to having capped out the speed already if you toggle back and forth. ( Several different ways to automate that btw. For example, a timer to a toggle latch into a CVT or a Multi-directional clutch if you're pre-bedrock. )

Specifically, each stage has a starting duration, that is then subtracted from by a number every time you double the speed. ( or some fraction thereof for intermediate speeds. )

Stage 1: 900 ticks ( 45 seconds ) and - 60 ( 3 seconds )
Stage 2: 400 ticks ( 20 seconds ) and - 20 ( 1 second )
Stage 3: 600 ticks ( 30 seconds ) and -30 ( 1.5 seconds )
Stage 4: 1200 tick ( 60 seconds ) and -80 ( 4 seconds )

The formula btw is: "Base duration" - ["subtraction time" x log2 ( speed + 1 )]

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
A heads up, all 3 of those methods of power are giving you different amounts. 16 steam engines is 262.144KW. 8 Gas engines is 524.280 KW, and 4 Performance engines is 1.048576 MW. ( In fact, 1 Performance is the same as your 16 steam. )

Make sure to always look at the different ways to run your extractor btw as you can feed it more power. Due to the complexity of the multiple stages, each having different requirements and speed curves, there are several different ways to do it. Here's some of the numbers to help:

Stage 1 and 4 max out at 32,768 r/s, giving a processing time of 1 tick. ( IE: 20 per second. ) This will require 16,777,216 W due to the 512NM of torque required.
Stage 2 and 3 max out at 1,048,576 r/s. At 8NM of torque, that's 8MW to max these 2 stages out.

Until you hit the 16MW mark, you will probably want multiple extractors due to having capped out the speed already if you toggle back and forth. ( Several different ways to automate that btw. For example, a timer to a toggle latch into a CVT or a Multi-directional clutch if you're pre-bedrock. )

Specifically, each stage has a starting duration, that is then subtracted from by a number every time you double the speed. ( or some fraction thereof for intermediate speeds. )

I'm assuming the numbers you quoted after the stages is are the "base duration" and "subtraction time"?

OCP

Jul 29, 2019

Hmm well I was going off the ratings on the wiki and just multiplying by total requirement. so the 16 steam engines would be 16 hooked up to junctions and then gearboxes. It should still get to the correct power requirements. still running extractor off two magnetostatics connected via junctions and then into a 4:1 gearbox and its powering all stages. though obviously not very quickly, lol. Going to rework the whole system soon once I get plant matter production stabilized and run it off a chain of gas or possibly performance engines. Need to get the mob spawner hooked up to my blaze spawner I grabbed from a fortress. Do you know much about optimal power requirements for the spawn controller?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm well I was going off the ratings on the wiki and just multiplying by total requirement. so the 16 steam engines would be 16 hooked up to junctions and then gearboxes. It should still get to the correct power requirements. still running extractor off two magnetostatics connected via junctions and then into a 4:1 gearbox and its powering all stages. though obviously not very quickly, lol. Going to rework the whole system soon once I get plant matter production stabilized and run it off a chain of gas or possibly performance engines. Need to get the mob spawner hooked up to my blaze spawner I grabbed from a fortress. Do you know much about optimal power requirements for the spawn controller?

I'm using Magical Crops for my needs, so no I don't, sorry.

Also, you should never use the 2 magnetostatics for an extractor, because it is about 100 times slower than 1 magnetostatic to a CVT that toggled back and forth. You wouldn't change that setup at all until you can do 512MW ( when you can finally run all 4 stages at max speed at the same time, which would take 8 Tier 5 Magnetostatics. )

OCP

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Magical Crops for my needs, so no I don't, sorry.

Also, you should never use the 2 magnetostatics for an extractor, because it is about 100 times slower than 1 magnetostatic to a CVT that toggled back and forth. You wouldn't change that setup at all until you can do 512MW ( when you can finally run all 4 stages at max speed at the same time, which would take 8 Tier 5 Magnetostatics. )
understood, how do you upgrade the magnetos? And Im not super concerned with speed at the moment because between boring, quarry and the extractor being able to run 24/7 i have thousands and thousands of ingots stored so next upgrade will just be to get faster processing and fully automatic with AE, which the automating is easy just havent done it yet.

I'm still absolutely loving the mod and there is still plenty of it that I haven't explored yet. Need to get started on bedrock breaker soon too, going to need those gearboxes and shafts to up the processing speed on a long of machines. And man magical crops is another mod I have done 0 work with but feel it would be super beneficial with what it can give you. I'll have to lookup a getting started on that one at some point soon, lol.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
understood, how do you upgrade the magnetos? And Im not super concerned with speed at the moment because between boring, quarry and the extractor being able to run 24/7 i have thousands and thousands of ingots stored so next upgrade will just be to get faster processing and fully automatic with AE, which the automating is easy just havent done it yet.

I'm still absolutely loving the mod and there is still plenty of it that I haven't explored yet. Need to get started on bedrock breaker soon too, going to need those gearboxes and shafts to up the processing speed on a long of machines. And man magical crops is another mod I have done 0 work with but feel it would be super beneficial with what it can give you. I'll have to lookup a getting started on that one at some point soon, lol.

You craft the Converter Tier 1-5 Upgrades, and right click with them on the engine. You need to do all of them in order, and they will require pretty much the entire Rotarycraft tech tree. Tier 1 requires Ethanol Crystals. Tier 2 requires being charged in the Magnetizing Unit. Tier 3 requires the Pulse Jet Furnace ( which requires Jet Fuel.) Tier 4 requires Tungsten, which requires running Redstone Ore ( or in newer versions Iron Ore ) through the Extractor, as well as a Friction Heater attached to a vanilla Furnace at very high power ( for the tech level it's at. ) Tier 5 requires Bedrock dust.

Magical Crops is actually very simple.

First, you have the Infusion Stones. These are crafted from the different "tiers" of essences. The first one just takes a diamond ( or emerald ) and some of the basic essence dust you mine. From there, you need to grow crops to create the better stones. So, for example, Coal is a common first tier one to grow. You will need 8 coal essence to upgrade the stone.

These stones allow you to craft the more powerful raw Essences, used to actually make the crops. For example, 4 of the mined Essence Dust will make 1 Weak Essence. 4 Weak makes 1 Regular. 4 Regular makes 1 Strong. 4 Strong makes 1 Extreme.

The Seeds themselves are made from 4 of a given tier raw Essence ( so for Coal Seeds, it's Essence Dust. Just look up the seeds in NEI to see the recipes and figure out which tiers everything is. ), as well as 4 items that represent that crop ( such as 4 pieces of Coal for the Coal Seeds ), and finally a vanilla Seed.

Plant them, wait for them to finish growing, and harvest. They give you their specific Essence, with chances for Essence Dust and Weak Essence. Depending on the Config setting, there is also a chance to get a second seed to grow your crop. ( Note that Monster by default has this turned off. You will never get extra seeds. )

Automating and speeding them up is kind of difficult. They do not accept any variation of Bonemeal except a special ( and pricey ) Magical Fertilizer from Magical Crops itself. Some Sprinklers and other items work here if they are designed to increase the update frequency rather than applying bonemeal. Rotarycrafts "Fans" are pretty much the only way to automate them, but they do extremely well at it. They can be planted on Fertilized Dirt, but not entirely sure if it actually speeds them up.

Always make sure to light them up really well though, as they need slightly higher light than what prevents mob spawns. If you see a crop failing to grow, or even popping off, it needs more light.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycrafts "Fans" are pretty much the only way to automate them, but they do extremely well at it. They can be planted on Fertilized Dirt, but not entirely sure if it actually speeds them up.
MFR works as well, but I noticed that with the fans you occasionally get some essence dust.
Planting them on fertilized dirt does speed them up, I tested this.

LothyZA

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,

New to the forum, but an active follower especially since tackling RotaryCraft.

My big issue atm and im really hoping you guys/gals can help is the damn fermenter. I have for the most part setup an automated ethanol farm that is powering enough performance engines to run an extractor and grinder fulltime. The only hiccup im having atm is the "plant matter" required to turn yeast into sludge... Now from what I can see it only accepts leaves and saplings and basically nothing else. Before I went away this past weekend I read in the patch notes somewhere (could have been old notes) that potatoes and sludge (when pumped through a liquid distillery) could be used in the 2nd phase of the fermenter. But alas none of this works...

I have tried setting up an MFR farm to make enough leaves, but I always seem to run out of saplings. This im guessing is due to a poorly setup farm...

I was just looking for alternate ways to fuel this 2nd phase in the fermenter. could I get some advice on other means or just a proper setup for an MFR farm that could supply an infinite supply of leaves?

Thanks in advance!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I have tried setting up an MFR farm to make enough leaves, but I always seem to run out of saplings. This im guessing is due to a poorly setup farm...
That's because a harvester in shearing mode will never get any saplings.
My setup is one planter with two harvesters, the one shears leaves, the other doesn't. When a tree grows it's basically random which one gets to cut it. The setup works well for me.
Or you can always setup two separate tree farms.