Rotarycraft - the mindblower and builds

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
When I first looked at Rotarycraft, I was of course a little uncertain because of the unique power system of mechanical energy. I like that it follows real math as that is going to make it very consistent in operation with expectations. What gave the mind blow is a bedrock breaker, automated defense turrets, and a certain ore multiplier that surpasses all others. The rather visceral system is also rather appealing in a wholly different manner than previously experienced power transmission methods and I have plenty of ideas in mind for stuff I never thought I would have the right components for and that is finally fixed.

For all the glory that could be had, I keep feeling at a loss as where to start growing. Granted, it's 2 days in of reading some of the details and pondering options. It did lead me to think it might be nice to start a thread for people to show off their own Rotarycraft setups. Being new to the FTB scene, it might be invaluable for people to see the various approaches and uses being taken in this community. Will possibly share some images of my own if I get something worth sharing. :p

So what have people come up with so far?

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I've managed to blow up 3 steam engines today. I suppose that doesn't count. Struggling to automate some basic power after the dc engine.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I've managed to blow up 3 steam engines today. I suppose that doesn't count. Struggling to automate some basic power after the dc engine.

The steam engine is virtually the most difficult thing in the mod to automate.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
The steam engine is virtually the most difficult thing in the mod to automate.
Actually it's not that hard. Put lava underneath, attach a cooling fin at the top, supply water.
Oh, and one pump powered by a steam machine can supply a lot of steam machines with water.

Reactions: Tylor

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Since we're on the topic with regards to RotaryCraft, anyone can tell me what I need to use to run those machines like, the Extractor, that only accepts power input fromt he bottom?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it's not that hard. Put lava underneath, attach a cooling fin at the top, supply water.
Oh, and one pump powered by a steam machine can supply a lot of steam machines with water.

I used an aqueous accumulator for the water. If you use burning netherrack beneath the steam engine instead of lava you don't need the cooling fin.[DOUBLEPOST=1387406998][/DOUBLEPOST]
Since we're on the topic with regards to RotaryCraft, anyone can tell me what I need to use to run those machines like, the Extractor, that only accepts power input fromt he bottom?

Bevel gears to make 90 degree turns with your shaft line. Regardless of what engines you use you can put an industrial coil in between the extractor and the engines and use it to set the speed/torque you need. Or you can use CVTs. I'm really short on leather so I can't afford the belts.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
My point; you made no argument against it.

I never said it was difficult. I said it was the most difficult thing to automate in Rotary.

Reactions: abculatter_2

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Does the bevel gears make a 90 degree turn upwards? Maybe I'm too impatient but I can only get it to turn horizontally. :(

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
You have to play with the ui a bit to get it to turn upwards. Its color coded. The colors are hard for me to make out some times.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I thnik automated jet fuel would be quite difficult...
Depends on BC or not. As for dispersing it; PFFFT. Easiest thing ever.

The most difficult and intricate part of rotary has nothing to do with machines. Once you can understand the power system wholly-you win.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'm speaking about getting all the components automatically.
They're all fairly simple and straight forward. Either just whack a bunch of things; use another mod; or make a vanilla tower(For mobs). Nothing about those are difficult or have any greater depth.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Magma cream can be difficult. Of course if you use something like Soul Shards, that would be easier, but on the other hand not since spawners need a player to be in a certain range or they won't work.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
How to I pipe lubricant into the hydro engines now that they require it? I couldn't get lubricant pipe to attach on the non-power-transmission faces of the wheel

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
How to I pipe lubricant into the hydro engines now that they require it? I couldn't get lubricant pipe to attach on the non-power-transmission faces of the wheel
[guessing]
Perhaps you can attach the pipe to the end of the water wheel(line) that you're not pulling power out of. So that it sort of conducts the way the power does.

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
I've made a fairly simple machine using Rotarycraft, Soul Shards 2, and Thermal Expansion 3.. Though in theory you can do something like this with just rotarycraft, I have yet to play around with the spawner controller. Anyway, it is a simple mob grinder. I have a grinding portion in the front:

2013-12-18_18.21.48.png

Consists of 4 mob harvesters and an item vacuum. Uses several shaft junctions to split the power of the AC engine. This isn't maximum size, however, since the AC engine could easily power 8 mob harvesters, or 7 + item vacuum. I can't remember their exact power requirements at the moment. Anyway, each grinder hits mobs for about 5 to 8 damage over and over again, with the added benefit that it counts as a player attack, so while this grinder is active I'll continually get different hats. Also unfortunate is that, since Infernal Mobs is in my version of minecraft, I get all the negative effects from the mobs due to how the harvesters work.

In the back of the room are the fans:

2013-12-18_18.22.02.png

The area I am looking through here is normally blocked off, since fans push items much more than they push mobs, and this may push items outside the range of the item vacuum. For the amount of power I'm dumping into the fans, they give a slow push that moves mobs forward into the harvesters. The is magnified by the fact that the resist movement much more than they push something, so the mob's net wandering motion is guided toward the harvesters. Again, this isn't an optimal set up, which would have fans spaced every 3 blocks instead of right next to each other. Also, putting more power into the fans would make them more effective:

2013-12-18_18.22.12.png

This is just two steam engines. Water is pumped in from the acquies.... acquiase... the accumulator from Thermal Expansion 3, and netherrack below provides a safe source of heat. Though it is barely enough power for the fans to do the job I want them to, it is completely free power.

So, the harvesters kill the mob, the vacuum sucks up the items and experience, and then I can just come back whenever to grab all the items and experience I want. Since it counts as a player kill, you get all the rare items from mobs.

Now, I'm not exactly good with builds. My version of using tech mods usually involves picking up engines and putting them down where I need them, moreso than any elaborate network. I'm sure if you guys put your mind to it, you can come up with all sorts of more elegant and more useful devices.

Attachments

• 2013-12-18_18.21.57.png
    2013-12-18_18.21.57.png
    609 KB · Views: 756
Reactions: jokermatt999

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
[guessing]
Perhaps you can attach the pipe to the end of the water wheel(line) that you're not pulling power out of. So that it sort of conducts the way the power does.
Then there is a problem if you chain the wheels together, unless you can lube the first wheel and have it spread to the rest.

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah, I forgot to include this.

One of the harder parts about the extractor from rotarycraft is that all of the different parts (crushing, slurry, sifting, baking) have different power requirements. Although you can complete them all by inputting 512 NM at 8192 rad/second, that amount of power overall is kind of hard to get, requiring two micro-turbines plus multiple gear boxes.

Each individual stage of the process, however, has much lower requirements. Since there is no documentation on this (from what I've seen, at least), I did some experiments and came up with all of the exact amounts and kinds of power needed for each stage. I will leave this in spoiler for those who want to figure it out by themselves.

Stage 1: 512 NM, 65,536 watts, no hard speed requirement.

Stage 2: 2048 Rad/Sec, 16,384 watts, no hard torque requirement.

Stage 3: 8192 Rad/Sec, 32,768 watts, no hard torque requirement.

Stage 4: 256 NM, 65,536 watts, no hard speed requirement.

The intrepid observer will note that, for any stage, the highest power requirement is only 65 KW, which is what a gasoline engine outputs. So, through a CVT, the power conscious can adjust the power to suite whatever is needed.