RF and AppliedEn.

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
So I am attempting to power my ME system, and I got a very ghetto setup right now. I'm powering it with an industrial steam engine, which is getting steam from a low pressure boiler. I already know I will have to keep refilling it with coal. My question is, can I power the ME system with RF from Thermal Expansion? I attempted with some power conduits but with no success. I guess I could just throw an energy cell on there powered by some magmatic dynamos. Thoughts? What's the easiest way to go about powering a ME system?

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Afaik it has RF support, but if it doesn't use a conduit to connect it up and it will convert to mj if needed.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
So could I just power like a Hardened Energy Cell, put it right below the ME controller, and have it be powered like that?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So could I just power like a Hardened Energy Cell, put it right below the ME controller, and have it be powered like that?

That'll work. Just configure the sides of the cell correctly.

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
That'll work. Just configure the sides of the cell correctly.
Awesome.

So if I remember correctly, the controller can use up to like 8MJ/tick. Or 160 MJ per second. Would it also be 160 RF per second or 8RF/tick? Just making sure I am being energy efficient.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Awesome.

So if I remember correctly, the controller can use up to like 8MJ/tick. Or 160 MJ per second. Would it also be 160 RF per second or 8RF/tick? Just making sure I am being energy efficient.

1,600 RF a second, or 80 RF/t. 10 RF = 1 MJ. And the controller can take far more than that when the system is large enough.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
1,600 RF a second, or 80 RF/t. 10 RF = 1 MJ. And the controller can take far more than that when the system is large enough.
Okay, thanks so much. I have a 150 Magmatic Dynamo setup right now, so this wont hurt at all ;-). Thanks!

So, one dynamo should do for a basic setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
Also note, I believe theres a bug with AE. I've noticed on several instances where if you use Leadstone or Hardened conduits as the converter to the controller, it bugs out and takes all the power it can get. You can tell this by watching the AE controller energy go above its max amount before resetting back to its max amount and repeating. So will take the max amount the conduit can give (up to 80/400) and drain your reserves. Had to set my cell to whatever the energy output was.

Seems fine with Redstone conduits as the overcharge bug doesn't happen in the controller (energy stays at max in the controller and only uses what it requires).

Reactions: Narc

lief

Jul 29, 2019
Hello I am playing on ftb horizons and the leadstone energy cell and the controller do not interact can someonetell me what to do?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Hello I am playing on ftb horizons and the leadstone energy cell and the controller do not interact can someonetell me what to do?

The Leadstone Energy Cell (LEC) has configurable sides (faces). You want to go into the LEC's gui, click on the gear-looking icon/tab on the right, and click on the faces until the one facing the ME Controller turns orange. Blue is RF into (into the LEC), orange is RF out of the LEC, and yellow is no RF in or out.

You may also need to adjust the power output. For the LEC, the default is the same as the maximum, I believe. The maximum is 80RF/t, which should be enough for a small (starter) ME setup.

If you're not familiar with Thermal Expansion's faces, it is somewhat of a learning curve. There's some good videos on YouTube which explain the face configuration.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I wonder: does the ME crafting terminal (or MAC block or anything else) output a redstone signal while its working?

Once upon a time I set up my ME controller to only power itself up when I was actually nearby. But this was useless when I wanted to craft something and walk away, since it would quickly lose power and stop crafting. An OR gate would solve my issue...if I can generate a "Hi I'm working on something" signal.

Anyone know?

Edit: Ps, quasi-related hijack, sorry.

lief

Jul 29, 2019
The Leadstone Energy Cell (LEC) has configurable sides (faces). You want to go into titems in there though
e LEC's gui, click on the gear-looking icon/tab on the right, and click on the faces until the one facing the ME Controller turns orange. Blue is RF into (into the LEC), orange is RF out of the LEC, and yellow is no RF in or out.

You may also need to adjust the power output. For the LEC, the default is the same as the maximum, I believe. The maximum is 80RF/t, which should be enough for a small (starter) ME setup.

If you're not familiar with Thermal Expansion's faces, it is somewhat of a learning curve. There's some good videos on YouTube which explain the face configuration.
I know this however I did that and set the me controller too mj becausentherenis no rf option so what do I do because I can still put I[DOUBLEPOST=1405997527][/DOUBLEPOST]Items in*

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I know this however I did that and set the me controller too mj becausentherenis no rf option so what do I do because I can still put I[DOUBLEPOST=1405997527][/DOUBLEPOST]Items in*

If you can put items in, the system is working. The display does not have RF in 1.6, but it still works off of RF.

Reactions: Pyure

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
The thing where you set it to something like mj is just display, not the actual input. And also rf is just mjx10

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
This has eluded me. Can you actually power the thing with shaft power :eek:?

It's been a while since I've tried, but I think I was able to power a basic system with a micro turbine in a test world.

E_DM_B

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt it accepts shaft power, but one rotary dynamo produces something like 11k rf/tick when maxed out, so it shouldn't take too much extra space.

Reactions: Pyure