Revelation, another useless FTB pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
J

Jreid27

"Revelation, another useless FTB pack" That is what the real name of the pack should be. This pack is the exact same waste of time that FTB Beyond is.

I would love for the FTB people to explain themselves with the past few years of content developement, ok maybe it's just my nobody opinion but im just saying. FTB Revelation and Beyond are 100% pointless packs from a player standpoint. I can understand them from a developmental point but no other.

Here's to going back to 'Hurry up and wait' for the FTB people to stop messing around and put out the next version of their most successful pack. FTB Infinity expert. Thank God for the awesome people making packs like Age of Engineering, Space Astronomy 2, and Forever Stranded.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
"Revelation, another useless FTB pack" That is what the real name of the pack should be. This pack is the exact same waste of time that FTB Beyond is.

I would love for the FTB people to explain themselves with the past few years of content developement, ok maybe it's just my nobody opinion but im just saying. FTB Revelation and Beyond are 100% pointless packs from a player standpoint. I can understand them from a developmental point but no other.

Here's to going back to 'Hurry up and wait' for the FTB people to stop messing around and put out the next version of their most successful pack. FTB Infinity expert. Thank God for the awesome people making packs like Age of Engineering, Space Astronomy 2, and Forever Stranded.
You have pretty strong feelings about your personal favorite type of pack.

You and I share an opinion when it comes to personal favorite pack types. Expert packs are great (although I'm given to understand that Forever Stranded was a weak spiritual successor to Crash Landing). That said, historically, bunch-of-mod packs (aka "kitchen sink" packs) seem to be vastly more popular with the player base.

Try to bear in mind that FTB doesn't specifically cater to your preferences (or mine). And when they focus on sandbox-type packs it makes it a bit easier for third party groups to focus comfortably and freely on the niche packs some of us love so much.

Make any sense?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Also, the FTB kitchen sinks are a good point to start if you are planning a pack as they have lots of mods in them with the dependencies needed so you take try out all new newest mods and see what you might like to include in your latest extra-large Frankenstein pack.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Also, the FTB kitchen sinks are a good point to start if you are planning a pack as they have lots of mods in them with the dependencies needed so you take try out all new newest mods and see what you might like to include in your latest extra-large Frankenstein pack.
Also by far the most appropriate point to start as a new player, which you reminded me of.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
It's the oregen, that's the whole problem with all modpacks... it sucks and everybody uses the same method... except for GregTech.

In almost every modpack, you can find every ore in every chunk. Talk about a prescription for boredom... why leave your base and go anywhere in the world? There's no need!

But in GregTech, the ores are clumped together into big regions... except you will only find one group of ores in that region. To find all the other ores, you have to get out and explore for them, and there are many such different ore groups to find.

I wish modpack designers would understand that "vanilla" oregen makes for incredibly boring modpacks. But they don't seem to get it at all, they just keep doing the same things every iteration. BORING!!!!

Thank you Gregorious T for being the one mod developer who actually gets it right!!! GregTech is the best mod BY FAR and it isn't even close...

P.S. FTB and Greg had a major "falling out" back around the time of v1.4.7 FTB Ultimate modpack (probably about 4 years ago now) and to my knowledge that severed the relationship forever... very sad. FTB has never been the same without "Greg Packs", nowadays all we get are the stupid boring vanilla-oregen kitchen sink packs.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Helpful hint to anyone not satisfied with the current packs out there, there actually isn't any kind of certification required to make your own packs!

I think the point here is to urge the FTB team to be more creative with their modpacks. For me, the most important place to use their creativity is in the oregen, which I find to be incredibly boring. I wish they would realize it at some point in the next decade or so, and actually try out some newer ore generation methods. Surprise us!

But you're probably right - it will take some "new blood" to see changes. FTB seems to have their modpack formula down (as was noted above) and apparently have no intention of changing their modpack philosophy.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think the point here is to urge the FTB team to be more creative with their modpacks. For me, the most important place to use their creativity is in the oregen, which I find to be incredibly boring. I wish they would realize it at some point in the next decade or so, and actually try out some newer ore generation methods. Surprise us!
I agree that sometimes tweaked oregen is fun (particularly as an avid GT player). But the vanilla oregen makes sense for most packs. GT oregen is actually very problematic (for good or ill) for mods that depend in quarries and such.

(I'm working on a project right now that tries to find a compromise between GT and Vanilla oregen. I'm still not sure its going to work out)

But you're probably right - it will take some "new blood" to see changes. FTB seems to have their modpack formula down (as was noted above) and apparently have no intention of changing their modpack philosophy.
Who's right? Nobody's saying this except you and the original poster, dude.

I'm not convinced FTB is doing anything wrong. We get a few total-sandbox packs and then the occassional focused/niche-y pack. Seems like the right ratio to me.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I do agree with @asb3pe, that FTB challenge packs aren't spectacularly unique.
The issue has nothing ore gen or gregtech or anything like that. (I hate you gregtech)
The problem is that they don't use new mods.
For example, FTB Continuum will probably consist of the Thermal Suite, Botania, Blood Magic, and Draconic as the core progression mods in the pack.
But why? They could have Mekanism, Embers, Roots 2 and Astral Sorcery as the core progression in the pack. That would be a real challenge since I've never used those mods in a true challenge pack.
I've done Botania several times, it's not really hard. It's mainly just leaving your game running to produce excessive amounts of mana to make Terrasteel.
Switch things up.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
(I'm working on a project right now that tries to find a compromise between GT and Vanilla oregen. I'm still not sure its going to work out)
For that, a good idea would be that specific ores only spawn in specific biomes such as Nickel only spawns in swamps but things like Iron and Diamonds spawn normally.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The issue has nothing ore gen or gregtech or anything like that. (I hate you gregtech)
For example, FTB Continuum will probably consist of the Thermal Suite, Botania, Blood Magic, and Draconic as the core progression mods in the pack.
But why? They could Mekanism, Embers, Roots 2 and Astral Sorcery as the core progression in the pack. That would be a real challenge since I've never used those mods in a true challenge pack.
I've done Botania several times, it's not really hard. It's mainly just leaving your game running to produce excessive amounts of mana to make Terrasteel.
Switch things up.
You know, I think you have some good points here. I wouldn't take for granted which ones they will use, but you're spot on in that there is a range of mods which haven't had much attention, but which are primo challenge pack material! If you haven't already, check out someone's playthrough of All The Mods: Expert - that does some interesting stuff with less used mods. But, coming back to what you were saying: Mekanism sure, but also especially Astral Sorcery could be really good for that, because its well-supported in Minetweaker/modtweaker! I'm pretty sure recipes can be added to almost all, if not all, of its variant crafting table/altar/doohickeys! I think that's a nice positive suggestion there :)

Likewise, your comment about spawning of ores in certain places is a good shout too; Advanced Rocketry has done a bit of that, but I'm sure there's more scope. Perhaps things like the Twilight Forest (though I hear that has issues), or a whole Lost Cities dimension, or the Deep Dark/Beneath could have exclusive things to find. Now, that's dimensions I'm referring to, but having biomes as being almost... markers, for the ores below? I could see that working!

Having played a custom mod pack, where ores were set to spawn in lodes and large veins, much less frequently, the idea turned out more interesting than actually having to play it. In the end, having a Pickaxe of the Core from Thaumcraft became an essential thanks to its "prospecting" ability, because otherwise you really could spend hours digging around and find nothing!

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But why? They could Mekanism, Embers, Roots 2 and Astral Sorcery as the core progression in the pack. That would be a real challenge since I've never used those mods in a true challenge pack.
Switch things up.
You're not satisfied with the Horizons pack line? That's how I got into a bunch of new and strange mods (like rotarycraft, incidentally)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Its not a challenge pack though. And it still has thermal....
I know this is a bit of a tangent, but having had so many new things added since I last really played with it (aside from a tiny bit in Beyond), when playing Horizons III I'm honestly enjoying discovering all the new things it has and - to mangle an oft-repeated phrase - its like a whole new mod for me!

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I know this is a bit of a tangent, but having had so many new things added since I last really played with it (aside from a tiny bit in Beyond), when playing Horizons III I'm honestly enjoying discovering all the new things it has and - to mangle an oft-repeated phrase - its like a whole new mod for me!
At the end of the day, it's still thermal. You make some Alloys to upgrade your machines. And yeah a few new machines like the Phytogenic Isolator but that's about it and a bunch of new power generation options such as refined fuel.
Why couldn't nuclear craft be the tech mod in the pack?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
At the end of the day, it's still thermal. You make some Alloys to upgrade your machines. And yeah a few new machines like the Phytogenic Isolator but that's about it and a bunch of new power generation options such as refined fuel.
Why couldn't nuclear craft be the tech mod in the pack?
Thing with Horizons III is that it was back in October, and NuclearCraft wasn't in the same place it is now. But its a fair point - its another mod that's got a lot to it but hasn't had much attention!

And I have a soft spot for Thermal, but that's personal ;)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Its not a challenge pack though. And it still has thermal....
But that's not fair, you're changing your argument mid-stream: you said you'd like to see new mods, not specifically "new mods in an expert pack." (edit: you sorta mention expert packs later) And btw, I've yet to see new mods implemented well in an expert pack. See stuff like Embers, which is probably a great mod, but I hate it because it always gets implemented so poorly in new expert-type packs.

Everyone agrees with the TE stuff in Horizons btw, but I believe I pointed out that it *was* kinda new for that MC version, and it filled some logistical voids.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
But that's not fair, you're changing your argument mid-stream: you said you'd like to see new mods, not specifically "new mods in an expert pack." (edit: you sorta mention expert packs later) And btw, I've yet to see new mods implemented well in an expert pack. See stuff like Embers, which is probably a great mod, but I hate it because it always gets implemented so poorly in new expert-type packs.

Everyone agrees with the TE stuff in Horizons btw, but I believe I pointed out that it *was* kinda new for that MC version, and it filled some logistical voids.
Its funny, but I've really come round to your way of thinking about it - we discussed it on the post back in late October, and I think you were bang on: it well fills the logistics niche, as well has having a bunch of new stuff.

Again, you've got to take my point of view with a pinch (or a cellar) of salt, because I really didn't play with TE4 very much at all, so it has far more novelty for me than I suspect it does for most.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Continuum is just FTB Infinity Expert without enderio or thaumcraft. Maybe they did something unique but I doubt it.
Regardless of the quality of the mods, the fact that the mods are new and different is what I like.
I think I may make a 1.12 challenge pack with the mods I mentioned.
The rules I set for myself are.
A. No Thermal
B. No Botania
C. No Blood Magic
D. No Extreme Reactors