Revelation, another useless FTB pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I'm not a polite person, I will demand the best from everyone I ever meet for the entirety of my life and nothing will ever change that.

And I can see it’s working quite well for you here, especially considering one of the primary forum rules is to be polite.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a polite person, I will demand the best from everyone I ever meet for the entirety of my life and nothing will ever change that.
If this is true, you're very much setting yourself up to earn the enmity of practically everyone you meet. You want your cooks to spit in your food, your mechanic to put sugar in your gas tank, your barber to "accidentally" slip thereby mangling your hair, your boss to fire you, customers at your workplace to abandon your business for a competitor, or you to get banned from places? Being not just "not polite" but directly demanding and confrontational will nigh always create outcomes like those.

Notice a theme with those examples? You're upsetting those with power that they can exercise at their discretion, and a negative impression will incline them to exercise that power in unfavorable (to you) ways. And all because you choose a course of action that is deliberately abrasive? Seems like a waste when you could just not piss people off and probably get what you wanted anyway, or learn how to exercise positive influence and likely get what you want by making other people want what you do.

But to each his own!

I did have a good go at using COG, but I found it overwhelming and couldn't get the hang of it. Someone more skilled then myself could do some brilliant things with it. CoFH worldgen can't quite do all of the above, but I found it comparatively easier to use, and I can get most the features I want. (still struggled a lot to start with- wasn't easy to get the hang of).
Its also in 95% of packs, so if people want to try mixing it up- give it a go!

From what I understand from the COG docs, the biggest performance hit comes from COG replacing all the ore-gen with stone- then starting from scratch with its own files. You could negate most the issues with a few config pokes.

Yep, the less replacing it has to do, the better. But semi-complex rules and multiple-passes aren't very good either. Analyzing a chunk is not a particularly cheap operation. And I agree on the steep learning curve, though it's not insurmountable if you've got a good example to work from and a willingness to test a lot; I'd probably use COFH or Condensed Ores for my worldgen in most packs (because oregen isn't really worth tinkering with much beyond vein size, vein scarcity, and height/biome restriction unless you're making it a fully fledged feature of the pack), it's not worth it to use a shotgun to swat a fly. :)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I had a 1.7 pack with custom COFH controlled world gen, and I had a blast setting it up as well as playing it with some friends. Veins were set to be quite large and very spread out, with the intention of trivializing most large scale quarries without at least a few exploratory digs to locate the ores. That said, I left small (3-4) clumps spread out so people could get started with the basics before they located a vein, which ended up being a life saver. I put most of the world's diamonds inside of obsidian geodes, making sure we had a few ways to break into them without said diamonds.

The pack ended up being a total bust from a pack development and progression point of view, from which I learned a few good lessons, but the ore gen made the pack special and memorable to all (probably moreso to me, since I spent more time configuring and testing the ore gen than we did playing the pack as a whole). At some point, I'll go back to changing the way the world generates for a new pack, but it's not in the cards right now.

I do like the idea of some ores being biome dependant, but then I remember all those times I had to walk 3k just to find a particular biome, and suddenly that doesn't sound so appealing. The idea of surrounding veins in a loose cloud of poor ores seems interesting, but not every ore in a pack will have a poor variation, which is a bit of an immersion breaker. I still ponder the best way to distribute to make it challenging and scarce but still accessable enough for progression. Similar things should be done using Nether Ores as well, since I rarely have a need to go back to the Nether once I've acquired a bunch of quartz and a Blaze spawner, and having profitable mining in an otherwise scarce Overworld would be a good driving force. Still something to think about.

I would enjoy it if FTB was to do the work for me, but I'm fully aware that it's a niche market and a ton of work, which isn't usually a recipe for success. Once I get a decent script for world gen written for a particular version, it's something that can be copy/pasted into whatever pack I want, so it won't matter if FTB, Reddit, or anyone willing to share does the work in the end.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I had a 1.7 pack with custom COFH controlled world gen, and I had a blast setting it up as well as playing it with some friends. Veins were set to be quite large and very spread out, with the intention of trivializing most large scale quarries without at least a few exploratory digs to locate the ores. That said, I left small (3-4) clumps spread out so people could get started with the basics before they located a vein, which ended up being a life saver. I put most of the world's diamonds inside of obsidian geodes, making sure we had a few ways to break into them without said diamonds.

The pack ended up being a total bust from a pack development and progression point of view, from which I learned a few good lessons, but the ore gen made the pack special and memorable to all (probably moreso to me, since I spent more time configuring and testing the ore gen than we did playing the pack as a whole). At some point, I'll go back to changing the way the world generates for a new pack, but it's not in the cards right now.

I do like the idea of some ores being biome dependant, but then I remember all those times I had to walk 3k just to find a particular biome, and suddenly that doesn't sound so appealing. The idea of surrounding veins in a loose cloud of poor ores seems interesting, but not every ore in a pack will have a poor variation, which is a bit of an immersion breaker. I still ponder the best way to distribute to make it challenging and scarce but still accessable enough for progression. Similar things should be done using Nether Ores as well, since I rarely have a need to go back to the Nether once I've acquired a bunch of quartz and a Blaze spawner, and having profitable mining in an otherwise scarce Overworld would be a good driving force. Still something to think about.

I would enjoy it if FTB was to do the work for me, but I'm fully aware that it's a niche market and a ton of work, which isn't usually a recipe for success. Once I get a decent script for world gen written for a particular version, it's something that can be copy/pasted into whatever pack I want, so it won't matter if FTB, Reddit, or anyone willing to share does the work in the end.
That actually sounds very similar to how we had ours! In our case, it was diamonds and, to a lesser degree, emeralds and lapis that were to be found - but in Railcraft abyssal stone nodules on the seabed. That provided its own challenge!

We also had Glenn's Gases, which again sounded interesting from a concept standpoint, and it certainly made mining... "interesting"! :D It had elements of fun, but my gosh it was dangerous. Iocalfaeus Gas was a bit of a nightmare, as was coal if you just had normal torches instead of the special Glenn's lantern thingies. Boom.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like the idea of Glenn's Gases, but I ended up spending more time staring at the respawn screen than anything else. Though it turns out you can use Advanced Generators Syngas to achieve the same effect with torches. :D

I wasn't thinking of clouds of poor ore surrounding regular ones, as much as leaving poor ore both very close to the surface, as well as biome independant. So even if you're stick in the middle of 'Copper Plains', when you dig under the dirt layer, you can find deposits of poor iron and poor tin, enough to get you a bronze or iron pick, so you don't end up stuck with stone tools. Poor Ores are something that was created with Trains in mind, because they take up a lot of space, so you end up actually using the space on a train. (Railcraft's ones anyway, I know there's a couple of mods that do them.)

Seafloor Resources? Count me in. Though I know a few tricks to getting at them, which mean it's less of a challenge for me. I built my entire Space Astronomy base on the seafloor. (Including an underwater launching platform.)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
S

Suranis

Can I make a case for Abyssalcraft? It has the various Darklands Biomes, now Mobs, 4 explorable dimentions, and you have to explore around a fair bit to find the stuff you need to start the rituals that the Mod requires. I've started playing with it in the last few days and I'm finding it really fun. Probably would be more difficult on a server I guess, but I guess you all could co-operate.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Can I make a case for Abyssalcraft? It has the various Darklands Biomes, now Mobs, 4 explorable dimentions, and you have to explore around a fair bit to find the stuff you need to start the rituals that the Mod requires. I've started playing with it in the last few days and I'm finding it really fun. Probably would be more difficult on a server I guess, but I guess you all could co-operate.
Are you playing with it in a modpack or on your own custom instance? My friends and I had it on a server previously and I never played with it, but then I saw Krakaen using it in All The Mods: Expert, and boy does that look fun! Going back to the ore generation thing we discussed earlier in the thread, if you could have certain types of ores, say more magical or "evil" ones only occurring in the AbyssalCraft dimensions (not just the AC ones) that could be interesting! Though you'd probably want a mod that could dynamically generate the ores to fit in with the ground around them...

S

Suranis

Are you playing with it in a modpack or on your own custom instance? My friends and I had it on a server previously and I never played with it, but then I saw Krakaen using it in All The Mods: Expert, and boy does that look fun!

I added it to Direwolf 10.2 on my own computer and it worked fine with it.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Are you playing with it in a modpack or on your own custom instance? My friends and I had it on a server previously and I never played with it, but then I saw Krakaen using it in All The Mods: Expert, and boy does that look fun! Going back to the ore generation thing we discussed earlier in the thread, if you could have certain types of ores, say more magical or "evil" ones only occurring in the AbyssalCraft dimensions (not just the AC ones) that could be interesting! Though you'd probably want a mod that could dynamically generate the ores to fit in with the ground around them...

I'm in the middle of re-doing the ore-gen in my 1.10 instance; Inaeo hit the nail on the head with what I've got so far (overworld/nether), although my diamonds are in granite rather than obsidian.
Then you specifically mentioned Abyssalcraft, and precisely summed up what I was planning to start on this weekend.
So I was wondering if yourself and @Inaeo could please stop reading my mind- I'm starting to get a little creeped out back here.

O

omega40k

What would make FTB Revelation perfect for me is:

- Mekanism
- Better Combat Mod (if available for 1.12)
- Refined Storage
and, (oh god please!)

- Veinminer!!!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Mekanism has weird licensing I think so it's never in FTB packs. Also, they seem to have been bought wholesale by Curse so if it's not there, it'll never happen.

But all of those you can add yourself. Mekanism has to be downloaded and plugged into the folder, but the others can be acquired just by unlocking the pack and adding it in. (Or just adding it in if you're on Legacy.)

O

omega40k

Mekanism has weird licensing I think so it's never in FTB packs. Also, they seem to have been bought wholesale by Curse so if it's not there, it'll never happen.

But all of those you can add yourself. Mekanism has to be downloaded and plugged into the folder, but the others can be acquired just by unlocking the pack and adding it in. (Or just adding it in if you're on Legacy.)

Can I do that with twitch?

Edit:
I can.....why have thought you couldn't add mods on your own........

Also it does load with mekanism. So even if FTB can't put it in we can.

Last edited:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Disclaimer: This is strictly my opinion and that doesn't mean any more than anyone else's opinion.

I love kitchen sink packs and always switch to a new "flagship pack" as it is released because it introduces me to new mods I might not have seen before. When Beyond released, I looked at the dependencies and remember thinking "wtf is astral sorcery? I have to learn that!" Not being a magic based player, I would have NEVER seen astral sorcery in the curse list of mods.

I understand the op is looking for scripted hardcore quest type packs (and those are rare) but a person can build whatever pack they want. Add or remove any mod you want, use minetweaker or iguanatweaks to change just about any recipe you want. One of my favorite things to do is create a custom map with super tiny biomes and make lava lakes/oceans extremely common and water extremely sparse. I certainly learned very quickly to not make your starter home out of wood on that map!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the middle of re-doing the ore-gen in my 1.10 instance; Inaeo hit the nail on the head with what I've got so far (overworld/nether), although my diamonds are in granite rather than obsidian.
Then you specifically mentioned Abyssalcraft, and precisely summed up what I was planning to start on this weekend.
So I was wondering if yourself and @Inaeo could please stop reading my mind- I'm starting to get a little creeped out back here.
I'd say great minds think alike, but I feel like that gives me too much credit. If you're interested in publishing your work, it would save me the effort of doing it myself.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'd say great minds think alike, but I feel like that gives me too much credit. If you're interested in publishing your work, it would save me the effort of doing it myself.

I'm planning to publish everyting, either in a 'behind the scenes' thread after I finish my project, or if I run out of time you'll see a 'I just totally flunked at making a modpack- but heres everything I learned' thread.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I don't normally post in rage threads, but tbh i'm using Revelation as a starting point in 1.12 as it's got some new stuff i've not touched before.

Yeah i've had to add my staple oldschool mods like Buildcraft but it's not like that's too onerous for anyone with opposable thumbs.

Ther is however no EnderIO available in 1.12 apparently, which is a cause of sadness. Maybe I can blame this on the FTB team and fling some poo, would that help?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I don't normally post in rage threads, but tbh i'm using Revelation as a starting point in 1.12 as it's got some new stuff i've not touched before.

Yeah i've had to add my staple oldschool mods like Buildcraft but it's not like that's too onerous for anyone with opposable thumbs.

Ther is however no EnderIO available in 1.12 apparently, which is a cause of sadness. Maybe I can blame this on the FTB team and fling some poo, would that help?
Thing is, this started off as a ranty thread, but we’ve somehow turned it into quite a positive one :) Speaking of EnderIO, does anyone use the Ender IO block? I had a thought while watching some Age of Engineering LPs that it might be handy to use one for remotely accessing a matter replicator so from your crafting area you could grab out your replicated capacitors or whatever while keeping the replicator near your UU setup. That’s a bit of a tangent though.

Revelation seems like a good base from which to build up your 1.12 knowledge - you could even further customise it and spin out an expert pack from there.

Here’s another thought I was having: does anyone else make lists of alternative crafting methods, that could be used for gating and customising things in the way they are often done in expert packs? So just as things like thaumcraft infusion and buildcraft assembly tables were used in IE:E, so could Astral Sorcery celestial crafting or Actually Additions empowerment be used in a new pack. I know the latter has been done before, but there is also full CraftTweaker support for Astral Sorcery as far as I can tell! But yeah - I keep adding to my list of things you can do, differently from regular crafting to shake things up and make them more “Experty”

EDIT: I wonder if you can do custom recipes with Advanced Rocketry’s Precision Assembler? That’s an interesting one because its speed and stuff can be upgraded as you tech up and replace inferior motors and/or coils with better ones. Hmm *ponders*

EDIT 2: You can! It’s not done through CraftTweaker, machines have xml files that you can edit by the looks of the documentation. SWEET.

Last edited:
S

Shudragon

Although I have been enjoying FTB revelation, theres one sorely lacking spot of the pack imo, which is magic. Botania is great but it is a tech mod with a magic skin, there is no thaumcraft, witchery (may it rip, so unique). Astral sorcery seems like some kind of thaumcraft lite with very little utility and no power curve. Ars magica 2 isn't included and I loved the old versions that I played back in the day.

The progression of revelation also seems in a weird spot - you can access most machines and resources very early but power generation is difficult in the pack (extreme reactors/nuclearcraft being the only exceptions, with extreme reactors still being super easy). I'm currently in this spot where I have DE armor and a NC reactor but don't know where to go from here. The only late game options seem to be advanced rocketry (very cool mod, first time playing with it) and DE, unless someone has some ideas for me? Automation and scaling up are my next obvious steps but I'd like to see well, more mods to actually use in that lategame.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
At the end of the day all the magic mods are basically tech with a magic skin, under the hood, but I understand what you mean.

If you're looking for an expert pack, Age of Progression is 1.10, and it's pretty hard, but I just got tired of being unable to stop Special AI from causing Creepers to blow up stuff while I wasn't there to stop it. And I didn't want to remove it in an active world, so...