Revelation, another useless FTB pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Continuum is just FTB Infinity Expert without enderio or thaumcraft. Maybe they did something unique but I doubt it.
Regardless of the quality of the mods, the fact that the mods are new and different is what I like.
I think I may make a 1.12 challenge pack with the mods I mentioned.
The rules I set for myself are.
A. No Thermal
B. No Botania
C. No Blood Magic
D. No Extreme Reactors
My project fails: I have Botania :p

That said, I plan on doing some heavy modifications via CT. I like this mod when its restricted to clever use: its has very techy approaches to its obstacles.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I apologize, I've been in and out of meetings today so I haven't read the entire thread, but isn't the biggest issue here that the mods themselves haven't had time to stabilize in a good while? All you can really do at this point is throw together what's out there as an experimental or explorative pack, but you're not going to get that kind of well-established, perfectly polished version of Infinity-like Hard mode until there's been enough time for:

A) All the necessary mods to be included in the first place
B) The FTB developers to have enough time to try and test out new mods to make sure they can make them fit in a cohesive, public package

I would think that honestly, the best thing someone could do right now is play other people's packs and use other less used mods now while the rest of the mods keep cooking, and if you find any gems, start talking about them so they get more attention.

I'm all for what people are looking for, BTW, despite my comments at the top of the thread about the methods. Most of what I've been doing is buying time for when a fully polished kitchen sink hard mode comes out. But I'd rather wait for it to be right.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I apologize, I've been in and out of meetings today so I haven't read the entire thread, but isn't the biggest issue here that the mods themselves haven't had time to stabilize in a good while? All you can really do at this point is throw together what's out there as an experimental or explorative pack, but you're not going to get that kind of well-established, perfectly polished version of Infinity-like Hard mode until there's been enough time for:

A) All the necessary mods to be included in the first place
B) The FTB developers to have enough time to try and test out new mods to make sure they can make them fit in a cohesive, public package

I would think that honestly, the best thing someone could do right now is play other people's packs and use other less used mods now while the rest of the mods keep cooking, and if you find any gems, start talking about them so they get more attention.

I'm all for what people are looking for, BTW, despite my comments at the top of the thread about the methods. Most of what I've been doing is buying time for when a fully polished kitchen sink hard mode comes out. But I'd rather wait for it to be right.
No this is a perfectly valid point.

These conversations tend to get really messed up sometimes because people will suggest, perfectly innocently, that a new mod like NuclearCraft should be in an FTB pack, without understanding that it hasn't really had enough time to get itself solidly together.

*I* like using NuclearCraft in packs, but its because I follow its development. It changes frequently and in breaking ways because its still trying to finish some central mechanics.

This is similarly true of stuff like, say, Mekanism, which is notorious (deservingly or otherwise) of having stability/performance problems. Its a very popular mod, but how do the people who have to maintain the pack, including the considerable tech support requests, justify adding it in when they know its going to be a source of problems?

All of this is why I dread the emergence of 1.13+. I hate new MC releases. The best thing for modded minecraft right now would be giant meteor taking out all mojang infrastructure for a year or two
(mostly not serious)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I really wish the modding community would just take that into their own hands and stop following Mojang anyway. The post 1.8 performance changes were enough. 1.10.2, IMO, pretty stable and we should have just stopped there. Adventure maps? I mean, sure, it's neat, but if 1.11 and 1.12 weren't moddable, someone in the community would just take that adventure map concept and make it better, or at least just port over 99% of the functionality. We don't *need* mojang for anything.

I was very happy to hear that 1.13+ will break things again. GOOD. Is 1.12.2 pretty much stable? Let's just all use that for like a year.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Personally I think they got the idea right with Infinity Evolved, which is make the kitchen sink pack and then build the expert mode off of that. Nothing even says you need to use all the mods in the pack as part of expert mode. I mean, expert mode could be disabling things like Thermal Expansion, or Botania. Not just tweaking the recipes but making the stuff uncraftable.

I tend to look at 3rd party packs for alternative pack implementations of mods. Minecraft AEONs on the Twitch Launcher has biome dependant ore spawns, if anyone's looking for something different to normal CoFH generation. Looked like a fun pack, but I got side-tracked by Modular Mayhem Reloaded instead.

Reactions: MikW and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Personally I think they got the idea right with Infinity Evolved, which is make the kitchen sink pack and then build the expert mode off of that. Nothing even says you need to use all the mods in the pack as part of expert mode. I mean, expert mode could be disabling things like Thermal Expansion, or Botania. Not just tweaking the recipes but making the stuff uncraftable.

I tend to look at 3rd party packs for alternative pack implementations of mods. Minecraft AEONs on the Twitch Launcher has biome dependant ore spawns, if anyone's looking for something different to normal CoFH generation. Looked like a fun pack, but I got side-tracked by Modular Mayhem Reloaded instead.
+1.

Let me know how MMR is. It has nuclearcraft in it! And pneumaticcraft reloaded!!

Curiously, no "Modular Machinery" :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Modular Machinery? Never heard of that one. Seems kind of interesting. I'll have to make the suggestion.

As is, it's got Magneticraft (which is admittedly WIP), Immersive Engineering and Petroleum, so...

Actually so far it's pretty fantastic. Silent's Gems instead of Tinkers, which is making life a little difficult for me. (And not helping that I recorded a second episode and OBS only captured voice and a Black Screen. :p)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Modular Machinery? Never heard of that one. Seems kind of interesting. I'll have to make the suggestion.

As is, it's got Magneticraft (which is admittedly WIP), Immersive Engineering and Petroleum, so...

Actually so far it's pretty fantastic. Silent's Gems instead of Tinkers, which is making life a little difficult for me. (And not helping that I recorded a second episode and OBS only captured voice and a Black Screen. :p)
I was mostly teasing about MM since the name of the pack reminded me of the mod.

Its purely for pack devs with no canned content. Its only useful if the modpack as it stands is missing a multiblock structure.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Has nobody heard of CustomOreGen? I'll grant you it makes worldgen a notable bit laggier, but if you want GT oregen (or basically anything else you can think of) without GT's greg-ness? COG is your mod! Biome-specific ores? No problem. Flat sheet-like veins? Yep. Giant motherlode deposits with thin branches? Can-do! Veins coated in other materials (kimberlite-esque diamond ore tubes filled with lava!)? No problem! Ores embedded in other materials or even other ores? You betcha! Mixed ore veins? I actually can't remember right now, but I'm pretty sure that's an affirmative too.

And with Ore Flowers from Draco18s? You don't usually need prospecting, just look for the flowers!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Has nobody heard of CustomOreGen? I'll grant you it makes worldgen a notable bit laggier, but if you want GT oregen (or basically anything else you can think of) without GT's greg-ness? COG is your mod! Biome-specific ores? No problem. Flat sheet-like veins? Yep. Giant motherlode deposits with thin branches? Can-do! Veins coated in other materials (kimberlite-esque diamond ore tubes filled with lava!)? No problem! Ores embedded in other materials or even other ores? You betcha! Mixed ore veins? I actually can't remember right now, but I'm pretty sure that's an affirmative too.

And with Ore Flowers from Draco18s? You don't usually need prospecting, just look for the flowers!
That’s actually what we used for the custom pack we had :D never could get the hang of those flowers though ;)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you'd want a better prospecting tool later game, but it's nice knowing you've got an iron/nickel/copper/tin/whatever vein in the area if you're willing to put in a bit of directed effort to find it. At least when the alternative is aimlessly mining :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah, you'd want a better prospecting tool later game, but it's nice knowing you've got an iron/nickel/copper/tin/whatever vein in the area if you're willing to put in a bit of directed effort to find it. At least when the alternative is aimlessly mining :)
This is very true! :D

Can I just say, I think the thread has ended up turning from a somewhat negative start into a really positive discussion? That's one of the things I love about this Forum

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've often wanted to try and lay out a mod pack that has semi-biome dependant ores to promote train use. Start with big clouds of poor ores, then as you burrow deeper you run into normal sized ore pockets, and as you reach the bottom you start seeing them in very small pockets of dense ores.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
There was a mod pack that did that in the 1.7 days. Don't remember the name, was mining related, but had a fat Steve looking character on the launcher mad of ores.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
That was it. Thought it was a 1.7 pack.
Anyway, it had the layered ore like @KingTriaxx mentioned. Was a cool pack except that there were so many different ores that just getting the iron to make a better pick became a huge pain. Ended up giving up after a while because I couldn't get enough coal to smelt the poor ore and make anything more automated.

Was cool though.

J

Jreid27

I think my point is that you'd probably get a better reception if you weren't, like, demanding the people who give you free entertainment give you better free entertainment. Like, maybe politely request some things or something.
I'm not a polite person, I will demand the best from everyone I ever meet for the entirety of my life and nothing will ever change that.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not a polite person, I will demand the best from everyone I ever meet for the entirety of my life and nothing will ever change that.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Please allow me to "expect" the best from you. That's a shitty attitude that won't get you anywhere in life.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

I did have a good go at using COG, but I found it overwhelming and couldn't get the hang of it. Someone more skilled then myself could do some brilliant things with it. CoFH worldgen can't quite do all of the above, but I found it comparatively easier to use, and I can get most the features I want. (still struggled a lot to start with- wasn't easy to get the hang of).
Its also in 95% of packs, so if people want to try mixing it up- give it a go!

From what I understand from the COG docs, the biggest performance hit comes from COG replacing all the ore-gen with stone- then starting from scratch with its own files. You could negate most the issues with a few config pokes.