[Request][HELP] Ram for run a server

PHP36

Jul 29, 2019
Ok poeple my problem is the following:
I want to open a server for 5/10 people but i dont know how much ram do i need to have in the host...

The server will only have 1 age: the mining age soo i would like to know if 0,5gb would be enough for it or if i whould need more?

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
is that 0 to 5gb or half gb, 500mb?

I am pretty sure there is some maths about how much you need but I don't know it. I was running a normal server with about 5 people on it with 2gb of ram, I would up that to maybe 3 or 4 gb for a FTB server and just see how it runs.

Also those ram amounts are for the server alone meaning you will want more total ram. How much ram have you got?

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
0.5Gig would be fine to run the server. But not to play on it lag free with 2 players.

I sugest up to 2 to 3 Gigs if you do some good management will be fine for 10 players.

PHP36

Jul 29, 2019
0.5Gig would be fine to run the server. But not to play on it lag free with 2 players.

I sugest up to 2 to 3 Gigs if you do some good management will be fine for 10 players.

humm... that toomuch expensive xDD

for 2-5 poepel how much :D?

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
With 1-10 people 1-2gb should be fine. Limit the amount of chunk loaders (4 per person maybe) to prevent chunks from instantly eating up the server's ram after being turned on. What takes up the most ram is how many chunks need to be loaded into ram, hence why a high population server needs a shit ton of ram. I host a bukkit server with 45 players, but I don't have world borders and I end up using 15gb of ram.

If you choose 1gb, then you will need to restart the server semi frequently to prevent out of ram issues. Maybe every... 5-10 hours? It'll really vary depending on how often the said 10 players will play.

Oratory

Jul 29, 2019
A good way to determin the MB needed for a server is to take #players x 200mb, with a minimum of 1gb, so 1-5 players would be 1gb, and everything above that just add 200mb.
So for your question, if you want 10 people on the server, you should get atleast 2gb ram.

FlukeSDS

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say that 500mb is definitely not enough for even 1-2 players. I'm currently running a small 1gb server for my wife and I that's never seen more than 2 people on at a time, I haven't created a single Mystcraft age (yet), and I'm only using 1 world anchor right now. It's currently using about 70% of it's ram and no one is even connected.

If I reboot it it'll probably drop down to about 30% ram used but will quickly climb back up to about 70% once I connect and start messing with stuff.

My server is on the magic pack in case you were wondering.

logoster

Jul 29, 2019
With 1-10 people 1-2gb should be fine. Limit the amount of chunk loaders (4 per person maybe) to prevent chunks from instantly eating up the server's ram after being turned on. What takes up the most ram is how many chunks need to be loaded into ram, hence why a high population server needs a shit ton of ram. I host a bukkit server with 45 players, but I don't have world borders and I end up using 15gb of ram.

If you choose 1gb, then you will need to restart the server semi frequently to prevent out of ram issues. Maybe every... 5-10 hours? It'll really vary depending on how often the said 10 players will play.
yeah, i used to use this 1 mod pack, and my friend let me host the server on his vps, which had like 1gb, and people were usually on it, so i actually had to restart it a lot, as i got the out of ram server crash message, and the players could still chat for a little while of course, then they just read timed out

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say that 500mb is definitely not enough for even 1-2 players. I'm currently running a small 1gb server for my wife and I that's never seen more than 2 people on at a time, I haven't created a single Mystcraft age (yet), and I'm only using 1 world anchor right now. It's currently using about 70% of it's ram and no one is even connected.

If I reboot it it'll probably drop down to about 30% ram used but will quickly climb back up to about 70% once I connect and start messing with stuff.

My server is on the magic pack in case you were wondering.

Then you need to tweak your server. i haven now managed to run 5 players on 600MB.

defakto

Jul 29, 2019
If you set your java flags right you can run 5 people on 500meg.

With no one logged in my server uses 60mb or ram. Java uses 445. That's with approximately 100 chunks loaded with world anchors and quarry's across several dimensions.

With one logged in server jumps to 102mb, with 490 to java.

My tuning flags focus on the memory setup I use, 256min, 4gb max (18g) available so that may not translate to the same numbers for you. I've run 6 on 512 before without issues other than maxing out my outgoing pipe.

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how setting initial and maximum heap size are really "tweaking".

Is there anything other than -Xms and -Xmx that you modify? Server configs? Mod configs? Other command line arguments? Network parameters?

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
If you set your java flags right you can run 5 people on 500meg.

With no one logged in my server uses 60mb or ram. Java uses 445. That's with approximately 100 chunks loaded with world anchors and quarry's across several dimensions.

With one logged in server jumps to 102mb, with 490 to java.

My tuning flags focus on the memory setup I use, 256min, 4gb max (18g) available so that may not translate to the same numbers for you. I've run 6 on 512 before without issues other than maxing out my outgoing pipe.

So you're just setting xmx and xms? The server purely runs off of Java, so where are you seeing these different numbers: 102/490? If you run a server locally you'll care less about accurate numbers, but when you run on a paid for host, you are only allotted a static amount of ram. So even though you're dividing the ram usage up into two parts, you'd still use over 512mb.

defakto

Jul 29, 2019
490mb is what's actually in use for java running at that instantaneous moment of time. The 102 is what is reported within the server gui and as such is only a slight litmus on what is going on.

I set xmx and xms as well as several other settings I've tweaked specifically to my server, some of the flags I use increase memory usage.

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
The 490 is the more important number, as that's what you're going to actually need available.

Other than the min/max, the only other flags I'm aware of are garbage collection flags which really can do a lot of good or bad depending on your server. I have a small 45 player server, and it's caused more harm than good.