Reliable power gen and storage for mid-late game?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

MikW

They should make a huge difference! Two powered preheaters, one on each side, should be much faster than without...

Really? Maybe I derped up some things.... but I have problems with the fuel production, the coke furnace simply wasn't fast enough.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Really? Maybe I derped up some things.... but I have problems with the fuel production, the coke furnace simply wasn't fast enough.
Yeah, unfortunately with that one its just a matter of making more. I got on fine with 2 Coke ovens and an improved blast furnace working away, but then that was in Beyond. Alternatively, when you've teched up to this point, can overclockers improve the IC2 one, or does that not work as it's heat-based? Have you got the 10 coils in the heat-making part of that?

M

MikW

Yeah, unfortunately with that one its just a matter of making more. I got on fine with 2 Coke ovens and an improved blast furnace working away, but then that was in Beyond. Alternatively, when you've teched up to this point, can overclockers improve the IC2 one, or does that not work as it's heat-based? Have you got the 10 coils in the heat-making part of that?

The very very very unfortunate thing is, I've NEVER used IC2. I don't understand the things and most guides about it is pretty outdated since IC2 is an old mod.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The very very very unfortunate thing is, I've NEVER used IC2. I don't understand the things and most guides about it is pretty outdated since IC2 is an old mod.
Ahh I see. I must admit, videos tend to be my guide to these things at the moment. But give it a look!

To make steel with it, you need a heat source - the electric heater, ideally, from IC2 with between 1 and 10 coils inside - you want the most possible, as that makes it need more power but work faster. This will have a coppery square on one side, that's the heat output.

Sit your IC2 blast furnace on top of that and the same coppery square on the BF (the heat input in this case) should be facing towards the square on the heater - it can be wrenched if not (I think it's a shift left click to make the relevant side face away from the side you click on, double check that).

With 10 coils, it will take 100 EU/t I believe, so you want a decent power source going into your heater. If you've got ethanol, and the Forestry mod, I recommend bio-generators.

Lastly you'll need compressed air cells going into the blast furnace and empty cells being removed. To make the cell, put an empty IC2 cell into a compresser. EnderIO will work well for automated removal and replacement of cells into the blast furnace I imagine.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The IE Industrial Blast furnace seems to be very much slower even with powered preheaters. No idea what's changed. It used to be very good, but not so much any more.

Right-click to make the output face of a block face towards you, shift-right-click to face it away, using a wrench. Right-clicking on an output, or shift-right-clicking on an opposite face will pickup the blocks.

You can make steel with Thermal Expansion, using four coal and an iron. It's a bit expensive, but if you need just one or two ingots, it's a great way to get them quickly. (Just needs an Induction Smelter)

M

MikW

The IE Industrial Blast furnace seems to be very much slower even with powered preheaters. No idea what's changed. It used to be very good, but not so much any more.

Right-click to make the output face of a block face towards you, shift-right-click to face it away, using a wrench. Right-clicking on an output, or shift-right-clicking on an opposite face will pickup the blocks.

You can make steel with Thermal Expansion, using four coal and an iron. It's a bit expensive, but if you need just one or two ingots, it's a great way to get them quickly. (Just needs an Induction Smelter)

I didn't know that TE has a steel making method. Checking it out later. In my stage of the game, that's basically nothing. I have 1k+ iron, and all important resources other than nether stars and other small stuff.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hah, considering I'm post quarry, and I just ran out of redstone, I laugh at that plan. Honestly I've never failed to run out of something I thought I'd never need more of.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
if you need coke, than I would go with TE, there's an augment that allows it to produce coke and creosote. a resonant one with the augment and 2 speed upgrades should do the trick

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
oh, and RFTools power cells, they only store 1 million, but can be linked together for increased capacity and wireless transfer

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Higher tiers of RF Power cells hold more power. Railcraft Creosote and Immersive Engineering Creosote are OreDict, so you only need to pick one of them.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Mid-Tier power generation, biodiesel works very well. Two Cloches, one with Industrial Hemp one with Potatoes. Hemp seeds feed into Presser, Potatoes into a Squeezer, mix them in a Refinery, pump into one (or more) Diesel Generators

M

MikW

Mid-Tier power generation, biodiesel works very well. Two Cloches, one with Industrial Hemp one with Potatoes. Hemp seeds feed into Presser, Potatoes into a Squeezer, mix them in a Refinery, pump into one (or more) Diesel Generators

I'm in the point of just connecting up those stuff right now. I've had a hemp cloche and potato cloche for a long time, and the item storage for it is full. I have 99 stacks of potatoes and thousands of hemp seeds.

Also, I already made a draconic energy ball, so the power storage problem is solved.

The steel problem is also solved.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Watermelon works better for diesel.
Sent the whole melons front the cloche to a compacting drawer and you always get 9 slices. Sent 1/2 the slices to some form of auto crafter to make them seeds and you are set.

2 cloches with a good backlog for the initial power and fluid generation should keep up with one set of machines.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Watermelon works better for diesel.
Sent the whole melons front the cloche to a compacting drawer and you always get 9 slices. Sent 1/2 the slices to some form of auto crafter to make them seeds and you are set.

2 cloches with a good backlog for the initial power and fluid generation should keep up with one set of machines.

Didn't know you could use a Compacting Drawer to slice melons. That's a neat trick.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
it's nice because you always get 9 slices per melon. Take that RNG!!! Right in the bits

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You can also use a Thermal Expansion Sawmill to turn a melon into nine slices, and is slightly easier to automate, even if it costs some RF.

I now use a pair of cloches with Melons. One hooked up to a Compacting Drawer to make melons, one hooked up to a compacting drawer hooked up to an RFTools auto-crafter to make seeds.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm partial to the IE Assembler, over the RFTools one, while it's larger, I can both use it manually for things, as well as the fact that it can auto-output without external piping, and seems much faster when I need speed.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm partial to the IE Assembler, over the RFTools one, while it's larger, I can both use it manually for things, as well as the fact that it can auto-output without external piping, and seems much faster when I need speed.
I'm always tempted by the Assembler at least in part because it LOOKS so good, and fits in with the IE theme for all the other parts of a good biodiesel setup. The conveyor belts let it down though, I find I'm better going with EnderIO conduits for moving large amounts of seeds and melon slices around.