Reika's Update Checker

Status
Not open for further replies.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Been thinking about this for a bit now..

Why don't we have a mod where the sole purpose is to alert users to update mods? It could be something like a splash screen as the user logs in, I've seen similar screens done already. There could be an API for the mod dev to send the version update number, how critical it is, and provide a link or download method with or without instructions on how to install it. You know, have a standardized method of alerting people.

As an average user, I'd love to know when other mods need updating instead of waiting for a new pack or keeping track of 100+ mods.
There is. However, the community hates redundancy, so a new, improved one might not be well received.
(although I wouldn't be against trying. Hey, if I can get someone else to work on the actual Minecraft portion, I'll help with the backend)

Reactions: SynfulChaot

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
*looks out window to see if the world is ending*

*Looks outside*. Hmm. There is some sun out there. I think that means that it is? I dunno. I prefer the night! :p

I can try, but this may or may not be technically possible. I do hope so.

Me too! ^.^

Hmm .... I had an idea on how you could have the option but make it reset per new version ...

As in a "do not ever tell me again" config that many others explicitly asked for, and said that even as a pack dev they would use.

Well then I greatly misunderstood as I was missing that crucial piece of unstated information.

There is something like this in the KSP modding community and it's rather nice. The problem with it now is convincing devs to switch from their own systems to this if it were to be created.

The problem with standards. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for one, though. Especially if it's done well.

There is. However, the community hates redundancy, so a new, improved one might not be well received.
(although I wouldn't be against trying. Hey, if I can get someone else to work on the actual Minecraft portion, I'll help with the backend)

Perhaps work with the dev of the current one to help improve it to where more devs want to use it?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There is something like this in the KSP modding community and it's rather nice. The problem with it now is convincing devs to switch from their own systems to this if it were to be created.
That and concerns over the real problem packs not using it and concerns over "is the checker actually doing its job or is it just a console message/out-of-the-way-GUI that noone reads". I am not against the idea, but there are some real pitfalls that need to be filled.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If this update checker were to actually be made, it would require some big name devs such as KingLemming, Reika, Aidan, etc. to get behind using it otherwise it would probably not go anywhere.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
If this update checker were to actually be made, it would require some big name devs such as KingLemming, Reika, Aidan, etc. to get behind using it otherwise it would probably not go anywhere.

Is it bad that just having KingLemming on board is likely to get a majority of people interested?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Is it bad that just having KingLemming on board is likely to get a majority of people interested?

I'm actually not going to comment on things like this due to the PT working with the FTB team. Best not to show any favoritism / dislike. ;)

I will say though that it would be cool to see him use it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well, he is the rightful monarch of cliff-seeking rodents known (incorrectly) for their suicidal tendencies...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

While I knew the literal meaning of his name before I have never heard it phrased quite this way. Thanks for the laugh, have a cookie.
Note that I don't have cookies to give.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well, he is the rightful monarch of cliff-seeking rodents known (incorrectly) for their suicidal tendencies...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

While I don't have anything against KingLemming, it's certainly bad that some "popular" devs can do anything and it will be accepted.
I have nothing against him either - indeed, me and him get along quite well :D - and I can tell you he seems as exasperated as everyone else by the people who mindlessly follow him and trample everyone else. :p (Exhibit A: "RF should be everything" people).

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

If you can produce an efficient functional system, which is intuitive for the devs to use- then devs would use it if they so desire, and thus it'll gain momentum over time.
No inherent need to rely on 'big name devs' promoting it. (though the right kind of hype and publicity is always a good thing, and theres a high probability of said devs switching).

Worth noting- if FTB is going to curse integration, then the curse launcher [already integrated with curseforge] could provide a fairly solid platform for an updatechecker system that can automatically feed through to pack devs, and then users.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
If you can produce an efficient functional system, which is intuitive for the devs to use- then devs would use it if they so desire, and thus it'll gain momentum over time.
No inherent need to rely on 'big name devs' promoting it. (though the right kind of hype and publicity is always a good thing, and theres a high probability of said devs switching).

Worth noting- if FTB is going to curse integration, then the curse launcher [already integrated with curseforge] could provide a fairly solid platform for an updatechecker system that can automatically feed through to pack devs, and then users.
I would think that there are two ways of doing it
  1. Exposing an API
  2. Making a database that people add to

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I would think that there are two ways of doing it
  1. Exposing an API
  2. Making a database that people add to
There are pros and cons with each. If we expose an API, we require developers to have their own hosting (if we set up the format the correct way, they could just use github pages, but that shouldn't be counted on) to place the data for versions on, and therefore make it harder to get started. If we make a database, we'll have to worry about spam and it'll probably be on an approval basis. Idea: set up a site for free hosting of the version files. This would slow down the mod as a result of requiring them (the accounts) to be approved manually, but keep the entry requirement for using this low. Then keep it an option to use your own hosting, similar to some package managers. (rubygems comes to mind)

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
There are pros and cons with each. If we expose an API, we require developers to have their own hosting (if we set up the format the correct way, they could just use github pages, but that shouldn't be counted on) to place the data for versions on, and therefore make it harder to get started. If we make a database, we'll have to worry about spam and it'll probably be on an approval basis. Idea: set up a site for free hosting of the version files. This would slow down the mod as a result of requiring them (the accounts) to be approved manually, but keep the entry requirement for using this low. Then keep it an option to use your own hosting, similar to some package managers. (rubygems comes to mind)
That would be a good idea, but I think that an API is better, just have the version data be in the mod itself and there is no hosting required

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That would be a good idea, but I think that an API is better, just have the version data be in the mod itself and there is no hosting required
Except the mod needs to check that there's a new version out, and it needs to check the severity of that version (possibly an optional feature). The mod can't tell that a new version is out without comparing against an external server with that data.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Only if I lose my mind and start doing crazy things. Despite the "King" moniker, I have no desire to be a thought leader or whatever you want to call it. Even so, I'd like to think I don't steer people wrong.
While I don't have anything against KingLemming, it's certainly bad that some "popular" devs can do anything and it will be accepted.
I agree. It's a huge problem with FastCraft at the moment.

As far as an API, I'm all for a unified system. That's why CoFH uses one:
https://github.com/CoFH/CoFHCore/tree/master/src/main/java/cofh/mod/updater

It's not quite API-ified yet but we could probably layer an interface on top of it. It also does exactly what you're saying there. The thing contained in the mod is the URL for the update checker. In our case, we use GitHub: https://github.com/CoFH/Version

The near-term goal is to implement a /cofh menu command which will allow for mods to plug into it with update notices and things of that nature. I'm not averse to other mods making use of it.

The hope is that people can easily disable update notifications (CoFHCore has a single flag to enable/disable ALL text notices), but if there's something truly critical, we're going to pester you no matter what for the sake of your world. Thankfully, we haven't had to issue a Critical update yet.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Except the mod needs to check that there's a new version out, and it needs to check the severity of that version (possibly an optional feature). The mod can't tell that a new version is out without comparing against an external server with that data.
Yes it can, if the data is inside the mod being used.
As far as an API, I'm all for a unified system. That's why CoFH uses one:
https://github.com/CoFH/CoFHCore/tree/master/src/main/java/cofh/mod/updater

It's not quite API-ified yet but we could probably layer an interface on top of it. It also does exactly what you're saying there. The thing contained in the mod is the URL for the update checker. In our case, we use GitHub: https://github.com/CoFH/Version

The near-term goal is to implement a /cofh menu command which will allow for mods to plug into it with update notices and things of that nature. I'm not averse to other mods making use of it.

The hope is that people can easily disable update notifications (CoFHCore has a single flag to enable/disable ALL text notices), but if there's something truly critical, we're going to pester you no matter what for the sake of your world. Thankfully, we haven't had to issue a Critical update yet.
That sounds good, like that is a very good start. I would say to allow two options, a url or storing the data in the mod. Then the interface should be as simple as possible, just the few options that are needed and just a simple call to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.