RedPower2 request

Do you want tooltips for Redpower colors and modes?

• Yes

Votes: 31 93.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
This is a cry out to Eloraam
Please help!

Hello everybody!

I'm guessing this would be the best place to ask for this and I hope you could all agree and make the topic popular so it reaches the right ears.

I want tooltips for Redpower colors and modes(on the sorting machine / retriever / filter / etc).
I'm not going to say this should be easy to implement or something like that because I would be a presumptuous bastard. I'm just saying I need it.

I want this because I am a guy... 90% of the Minecraft Community is male, and guys don't know squat about color. Every time I have to set a certain color for a machine I count or I guess based on the next and last color.

As I am typing this I am looking into NEI so I write it down correctly. If I want let's say lime color i look into NEI and see it's between yellow and pink and I know that's the right kind of green.

If I want purple I start from black backwards and I know purple is after blue. If i want cyan I go up the walls because it's not really light blue but not really blue... and it's next to a pink-ish color that is not pink and the best way to do it for me is to start from white and look out for gray.... when i see color I know it's the one i'm looking for.

Passing on to the tooltips for modes. This is more of a "I don't want to make a fool of myself" request. When I play on multiplayer and ask or get asked what mode should be used, the general conversation goes like this:
"it looks like a colored cross" or "the one after the one with the color under it". When asked what does it do the conversation goes like this: "which one was it? the third one? let me look on the unofficial wiki ..... the 3rd one there is Random allstack...."

That being said...
Please Eloraam,
HELP !
yF6D1.png

blek

Jul 29, 2019
Oh god, yes. That's actually a fantastic idea. She could even go further and do like Forestry and have these little pop-ups at the right side of the machine GUI that explain stuff about the machine (in this specific case, about the current sorting mode), that would be awesome.

D

Deleted member 188

Ummm, what the heck guys don't know squat about colour? I admit that could be handy but I've never had trouble telling the different colours apart.

If anything I'd suggest letting us use the paintbrushes on the boxes to auto-set them to that colour but that's just a convenience thing.

ZeruelB

Jul 29, 2019
Ummm, what the heck guys don't know squat about colour? I admit that could be handy but I've never had trouble telling the different colours apart.

If anything I'd suggest letting us use the paintbrushes on the boxes to auto-set them to that colour but that's just a convenience thing.

This actually makes sense in the fact that you have to put your items into the boxes too. (as you "waste" a bit of paint for setting it, same goes with the material, you "waste" it for setting it). Also, still add the Color Tooltips ;-)

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
guys don't know squat about color
This was the only major problem I had with this post.

But other than that, I agree totally. I think the whole tooltip thing would actually be really helpful, especially for the derpier users.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019

Well there are a lot of players who do have issues!

Even on or server there are 4 players colorblind ! lucky they are on teamspeak and we can help them out. So yes color tooltips +10

D

Deleted member 188

Well a person who is colour blind is one thing, a whole gender being stereotyped to not have any understanding of the differences in various colours is something completely different.

A tool tip would be a useful thing. The fact that there are colour blind people about is a good reason for wanting it.

Reactions: logomaster256

Gewitters

Jul 29, 2019
I think tool tips in general are a good thing, regardless of what mod it is associated with. The tool tips in Forestry are very nice and would be a good model to go off of for MC mods.

However, the color issue is probably one of the worst in my (and i'm sure many others) case. I am color deficient with Red and Green (extremely common and commonly misunderstood as colorblind). This makes me go through the same process as the OP in regards to setting up systems with Redpower. Its probably why I am more comfortable with logistics pipes sorting systems.

Elo is awesome at all she does with this mod, so I'm sure anything she adds or chooses not to add, will not effect the amount of awesomeness associated with the mod. The idea of the paintbrushes to be used to assign the color is a great idea i think. Just hope the paintbrushes have a tool tip. :)

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
I love XKCD
[insert original men vs women color chart here]

Actually alexanderpas I see it more like this:

Color-Men-vs-Women.jpg

I am glad to see such support for this topic. For those of you that seem offended I apologize! There are indeed men that have a more developed artistic side and can actually tell which is which, I'm thinking the majority though is more like the picture above.
[...] Just hope the paintbrushes have a tool tip. :)

I can tell you for sure that they have tooltips if you have NEI installed.

[...] If anything I'd suggest letting us use the paintbrushes on the boxes to auto-set them to that colour but that's just a convenience thing.

+1 This actually makes a lot of sense from a player point of view! I paint a specific tube then go in the sorting machine GUI with the same brush and click that thing! If this would be easier to code than the tooltips then I'm all for it.... on the other hand I still want tooltips for the modes of the machine.

Reactions: Cakejoke

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019

Color-Men-vs-Women.jpg

I am glad to see such support for this topic. For those of you that seem offended I apologize! There are indeed men that have a more developed artistic side and can actually tell which is which, I'm thinking the majority though is more like the picture above.

Exactly :p I see myself in this xD

+1 This actually makes a lot of sense from a player point of view! I paint a specific tube then go in the sorting machine GUI with the same brush and click that thing! If this would be easier to code than the tooltips then I'm all for it.... on the other hand I still want tooltips for the modes of the machine.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I am a guy but i am not colorblind:/
We are not talking about not being able to distinguish the colors, but more of a problem like:

"Ok, this is green, this is lighter green, and this is even lighter green, so which is the lime one now?"
And Minecraft only comes with 16 colors, so if it came with 256 or more, there would be a lot of confusions.

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019

<Picture Snipped>

I'm almost like this, except magenta is magenta to me, sea foam is NOT green, it's blue, and cantaloupe is "white people skin color". :D

But yeah, I have troubles distinguishing the various colours in RedPower sometimes. Especially the light blue and cyan. And the like, 4 different greys, because I use those.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
We are not talking about not being able to distinguish the colors, but more of a problem like:

"Ok, this is green, this is lighter green, and this is even lighter green, so which is the lime one now?"
And Minecraft only comes with 16 colors, so if it came with 256 or more, there would be a lot of confusions.

I can easy see the difference, if not, TEST IT*. Eloraam develops her mod as she likes it.

*Who don't like testing? You know you want to.