Redpower Sorting System

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ArcticDreamz

Jul 29, 2019
So at the point where i am at , all my chests are getting messy , so i decided to make a sorting system.
My question is: can i get more than 16 different coloured chests ?

XkHoy.png

I know i can put a second sorting machine to put more stuff in it

LZSQT.png

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I think the standard practice here is to use 15 coloured chests, and have the 16th colour as the default route, passing to another sorting machine, and another set of colours, and so on until you have enough.

I'm quite liking the barrels for most things at the moment, though, it gives a storage area where you can select things at a glance, rather than sifting through chests.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The way I would do this is on your bottom screenshot, far left you have a chest icon with a down arrow on it, simply choose a different colour underneath that icon and this sends everything NOT in this sorting machine down that line. What I do then is attach a second sorting machine to that line and set up a new sorting system, so basically what you are doing is chaining sorting machines together. I had at one point a massive sorting system with 8 or 9 sorters all chained together like this which would sort all the items I had into chests.

ArcticDreamz

Jul 29, 2019
So if i make another sorting machine after routing the items it can't sort to it , i can choose all the colors again ?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
That kinda didn't make sense but I think I know what you're asking. On your second sorter you can re-use the same colours, but, if you connect the second sorter to the first sorters tube network the items will go to those chests/storage. If on your second sorter you isolate the tube network from your first sorters tube network it doesn't really matter if you use the same colours or different ones.

So yeah if sorter 2 has yellow option and connected to sorter 1's tubeing it will sort into sorter1s yellow marked chests.

ArcticDreamz

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE: So i tried the idea with routing the unidentified items to another sorting machine , but my first sorting machine backlogs when it gets something that should go to it :/

qP5Ps.png

NxDod.png

As you see , both colors match but it won't work :/

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If that red tubing is incoming to that sorter then your sorting machine is the wrong way around.

edit - Also sorting machines work best when they pick items up from a chest, so send that red tube to a chest and get the sorter to pick up from it.