RedPower Replacements?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm looking for alternatives to RP, as I was addicted to them in 147. From what I've discovered thus far, microblocks is pretty much a standard now, and we have a flavors of RP logic, lighting, ore, world gen, tools and backpacks. And even frames.

What I have not found are the actual machines. To me, these were the meat of RP and I used them all over. I loved those laggy fucks. Not to mention Redpower Control, but we have ComputerCraft.

So my question is, what alternatives do we have now concerning the machines? AE is a great mod, but I often find some of it is too internally automated. I havent looked at it for a while though so I dont know yet. Also gregtech seems to have a shitload of machines..

Halp me fill this out.

Redpower Machine Information
Code:
    THING NAME     |       ALTERNATIVES?
-----------------------------------------------
Pneumatic Tube     | TUBES!, TE3Itemducts, Mekanism
Redstone Tube      | EnderIO Item Conduits + Redstone Conduits, Mekanism Diversion Transporter
Restriction Tube   | TUBES!, TE3Itemducts, Mekanism
Transposer         | Some form of Hopper
Ejector            |
Relay              | Some form of Hopper
Accelerator        | TE3Itemducts etc
Magtube            | TE3Itemducts etc
Filter             | Precision/Fuzzy Import/Export Bus from AE, Translocaters
Item Detector      |
Deployer           | Thaumic Tinkerer Tool Dynamism, TE3 Autonomous Activator
Regulator          | Chickenbones Translocator, ME Interface
Thermopile         | Mekanism
Battery Box        | Mekanism, EnderIO Capacitor Banks
Sorting Machine    | TUBES! Routing, Mekanism Logistical Sorter
Retriever          | TUBES! Requesting Tube

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Pnematic, and restriction tubes are both fulfilled and improved upon by Thermal expansion 3 itemducts. I guess also the accelerator and magtubes are fulfilled by the glowstone version of the itemducts.

They also have an inbuilt filtering function, but I personally haven't quite figured out the entire nooks and crannies of how to utilise it fully

EDIT: With that function as it's a per side filter basis, a sorting machine/filter isn't really needed at all[DOUBLEPOST=1385866222][/DOUBLEPOST]Deployer is also fulfilled and improved upon by a Thermal expansion 3 machine, but I will have to look up which one

Reactions: Bigglesworth

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
For a deployer try the Thaumic Tinkerer Tool Dynamism.
But hard to mention alternatives for all the machines, since most of them are related to the Pneumatic Tubes. But there are plenty of new/old automation alternatives out there. Almost all of them with better functionality than the RP stuff.
As for all the power stuff, there are tons of other power resources for every type of power type in all the other mods. Trying to give a specific replacement is rather pointless.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I guess Railcraft loaders/unloaders are somewhat similar to the Sorting Machines

Edit: Also, I'm fairly certain you can use BC pipes instead of a cart, but I haven't tested that.

Last edited:

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I could be wrong, but I think the TE3 deployer type machine is called the Autonomous Activator. Transposers are also mostly the same as a vanilla hopper/a combination of wood or obsidian BC pipes. The redstone tube is also very similar to pipe wire + gates from BC. As for all the other item manipulation machines (basically all the ones left), AE, BC and now TE3 can pretty much replace all of them.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Pneumatic Tube: add Mekanism Logistical Transport Pipes and Insertion Pipes (various mods)
Redstone Tube: add EnderIO Item Conduits + EnderIO Redstone Conduits
Restriction Tube: add Mekanism Restriction Transport Pipes
Filter: add Translocaters
Battery Box: REMOVE Mekanism, add EnderIO Capacitor Banks

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say all of those things are not needed anymore and can be replaced by a few different things.

The itemducts/Liquiduct in TE3 handle pretty much everything you could imagine by themselves, they are very intelligent, never need a redstone signal, will never drop/lose stuff, have advanced filters built in, and connect to virtually everything. Some will probably argue they are OP compared to other pipes, but at the same time I feel it is a step forward and that piping back in 1.4.7 was a bit complex and annoying at times.

EnderIO also has it's new item conduits, which I believe will work the same way and even have a "input/output" mode that allows it to pull and put into a device from 1 side. Next version I believe he is adding a redstone free version of the cable, as well as allowing them to have item filters. These cables also can go into the same blocks as redstone conduits/energy conduits/liquid conduits, and be covered by a single facade that can match any texture in the game. Piping has never been easier or more compact. It's almost too simple/easy to hide with this mod. :)

Then there's AE. This will also cover everything mentioned above, as well as autocrafting from a single GUI. Granted, AE won't be the best choice for things further away from house/AE network, but that's where the other mods can come in. Between these 3 mods you have everything tripled covered and have plenty of choices.

I'd say the age of needing Transposer/Ejectors/Relays/Deployers/20 different item pipes/Redstone Engines/Redstone Torches/Autarchic Gates/etc has reached an end. They had their time, but I think most agree these setups were annoying and overly complex for no reason. Sure we'll need certain gates for advanced things, but not for most setups, as it should be in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say all of those things are not needed anymore and can be replaced by a few different things.

The itemducts/Liquiduct in TE3 handle pretty much everything you could imagine by themselves, they are very intelligent, never need a redstone signal, will never drop/lose stuff, have advanced filters built in, and connect to virtually everything. Some will probably argue they are OP compared to other pipes, but at the same time I feel it is a step forward and that piping back in 1.4.7 was a bit complex and annoying at times.

I'd say the age of needing Transposer/Ejectors/Relays/Deployers/20 different item pipes/Redstone Engines/Redstone Torches/Autarchic Gates/etc has reached an end. They had their time, but I think most agree these setups were annoying and overly complex for no reason. Sure we'll need certain gates for advanced things, but not for most setups, as it should be in my opinion.

Too much integrated automation can take away from the fun of design for me. Its like the difference between buying a computer, or building one myself out of parts. You get more into the details and understand the logic and controls a bit more. I sometimes even build gates the old fashion way out of torches, redstone and blocks rather than use the supplied logic gates (not usually, but just as an example). One could theoretically build a ingame block that does EVERYTHING you need it to do and uses transport/wireless tech to put everything where you want it directly out of where you point a quarry, however then you wouldn't have the fun of creating a factory and the satisfaction that brings. But I cant really say yet as I havent used them extensively.

I'll certainly be checking out AE, Mekanism and TE3. How many mods does it take to replace RP2, sheesh.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Too much integrated automation can take away from the fun of design for me. Its like the difference between buying a computer, or building one myself out of parts. You get more into the details and understand the logic and controls a bit more. I sometimes even build gates the old fashion way out of torches, redstone and blocks rather than use the supplied logic gates (not usually, but just as an example). One could theoretically build a ingame block that does EVERYTHING you need it to do and uses transport/wireless tech to put everything where you want it directly out of where you point a quarry, however then you wouldn't have the fun of creating a factory and the satisfaction that brings. But I cant really say yet as I havent used them extensively.

I'll certainly be checking out AE, Mekanism and TE3. How many mods does it take to replace RP2, sheesh.
I felt the same about AE before trying it/the beginning. But for me AE hasn't made every automation eez mode. It sort of just shifted the complexity of the automations that you are capable of performing up.
And you cant do everything with AE alone. I'm frequently using Routers, Hoppers/chutes, pipes etc in conjunction with AE, allowing some really cool stuff that would otherwise be impossible/extremely cumbersome/flawed.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Last edited:

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Oooo requesting tube.[DOUBLEPOST=1385967190][/DOUBLEPOST]
Immibis is working on them in his RedLogic Mod. I am so excited! Of course, it'll probably take forever and a day, but still.

Im not sure he could really do much better than computercraft. Do you know what he is aiming for exactly?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, nothing I have seen so far replaces Blutricity as a power system.

I'm not talking about the fact how it transmits energy from A to B to drive machines. Or specific, individual blocks, which is not a good way to characterize feature replacement. Any power system offers that. Your list would be as long as there are mods that implement a form of power. But the specific implementation of Blutricity itself - the way it worked, the near-perfect split of "easy to use, difficult to master", and the way it made the workings of real electricity visible ingame does not exist anywhere else. Or even the nebulous and difficult to grasp "flavor" of it all.

I've had high hopes for UE, but it spectacularly failed at replicating any of the good points. It's hard to see what's going on, it teaches little to nothing to the user, it's somewhere between unintuitive and frustrating to try and get it working as a newcomer, and it offers little to no incentive for improvement when it finally works.

Everything else is well covered by many other mods. Blutricity will probably never return.

Reactions: MagusUnion