Red Power 2 status?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an alternative to RP tubes that doesn't drop items and is as fun to watch? BuildCraft pipes are my nemesis, and AE cables are ugly and boring.

Edit: IN MY OPINION, of course. :)

Reactions: SteveTech

ECrownofFire

Jul 29, 2019
MineFactory Reloaded has conveyor belts. They're really fun to ride, too!

And honestly the RP2 method of jamming up machines instead of dropping items is actually worse in my opinion.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
MineFactory Reloaded has conveyor belts. They're really fun to ride, too!

And honestly the RP2 method of jamming up machines instead of dropping items is actually worse in my opinion.

This only happens if you dont know what you're doing and items have nowhere to go. Thats a feature so stupidity doesn't result in despawning items. So you're actually saying you rather lose your items. Mmk then.

Reactions: Infallible83

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
This only happens if you dont know what you're doing and items have nowhere to go. Thats a feature so stupidity doesn't result in despawning items. So you're actually saying you rather lose your items. Mmk then.

I think losing the items would be preferable, personally.

It isn't about being stupid. You make a tiny solution, it works. You add onto it, it works. You keep adding onto it, eventually something ends up somewhere it shouldn't. When this happens with RP2 it tends to result in the entire system seizing up and requiring manual intervention at many of the parts. And often times it can be very difficult to actually locate a problem (especially involving tier2 and tier3 devices) unless you can watch the failure.

MFR just holds up at the first failure and despawns the stuff that can't fit. That sucks, but at least the bulk of your system keeps working. And of course, just like RP2, it won't happen "if you know what you're doing." That said, MFR conveyors have not been worth their cost for a very long time. It's only recently that they've become competitive with BC pipes useful. The Item Router, in particular, can be part of some very cool and compact builds.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
This only happens if you dont know what you're doing and items have nowhere to go.

Wow. Did you ever actually use redpower for anything other than point to point short tubes? An inventory frees up a spot for one item, then a sender will send several items. The first fills up the inventory, and the rest in the tube will start blocking up output blocks on the same tube starting with ones closest to the destination.

This means you have A feeding Z, and B feeding X, but B gets full of A's crap. You've now blocked an entire process line unrelated to A-Z, and it will remain blocked forever, as every time Z empties one inventory, both A and B will send items on the tube and they will all backfill B again.

With buildcraft, you can loop items back to the same inventory, no problem. With AE or infinitubes you never even get in that situation to begin with.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. Did you ever actually use redpower for anything other than point to point short tubes? An inventory frees up a spot for one item, then a sender will send several items. The first fills up the inventory, and the rest in the tube will start blocking up output blocks on the same tube starting with ones closest to the destination.

This means you have A feeding Z, and B feeding X, but B gets full of A's crap. You've now blocked an entire process line unrelated to A-Z, and it will remain blocked forever, as every time Z empties one inventory, both A and B will send items on the tube and they will all backfill B again.

Which is why in any large tube network wtih RP2 I would have a return path into my sorting system via a resrection tube. And use color coded tubes nothing should go into my network uncolored.

No backfill issues then and any over flow or misrouted things go right back into the sorting. Everythings all happy.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why in any large tube network wtih RP2 I would have a return path into my sorting system via a resrection tube. And use color coded tubes nothing should go into my network uncolored.

No backfill issues then and any over flow or misrouted things go right back into the sorting. Everythings all happy.

You presume the only use of an item movement network is for sorting. This is bizarre and wrong.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You presume the only use of an item movement network is for sorting. This is bizarre and wrong.

No I don't believe or suggest that at all. I just state that any of my large tube networks are made with ways to deal with the blockage issue and most with link back into my sorting network since that is where all my stuff normally lives.

Reactions: Infallible83

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
No I don't believe or suggest that at all. I just state that any of my large tube networks are made with ways to deal with the blockage issue and most with link back into my sorting network since that is where all my stuff normally lives.

The point, I think, is that every item movement system has its quirks. Even Applied Energistics can do some pretty dumb things if you set it up wrong. As such, qualifying something with "if you know what you're doing" is sort of meaningless. You need to be familiar with the tools.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The point, I think, is that every item movement system has its quirks. Even Applied Energistics can do some pretty dumb things if you set it up wrong. As such, qualifying something with "if you know what you're doing" is sort of meaningless. You need to be familiar with the tools.

That I would agree with.

Sadly many folks don't take much time to learn a system before claiming it is flawed. Its a sort of bias people have people know how to use one thing do not want to learn something new need to confirm to themselves that they way is the 'right' way.

To be honest yes all systems have there issues. I like RP2 but it is not the only system I use. I find BC pipes have there uses in places as well as TC golems. It really depends on what you want to do which system ends up being better.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an alternative to RP tubes that doesn't drop items and is as fun to watch

LP. Built upon BP, can drop items, but it is harder to do so than with vanilla BP. I've only been able to do it once in several worlds. Oddly enough it had to do with a BP->RP interface. >.>

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I only ever used RP tubes for pulling redmatter out of condensers. I never figured out this beast called 'sorting' until I was able to get AE to do it all for me :p

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I will miss getting diamond dust from nikolite, but I guess I could live without it.

What worries me is that I may be currently using something from RP2 without realising.

cupcakesama

Jul 29, 2019
So put the troll on ignore and let's talk math.

Pop quiz. You need to work this equation in your head. Spoiler your solution.

You have 7 friends over visiting and they want a slice of delicious taeberry pie. You want one too. Your friends are a litigious and jealous bunch (probably forumites) and all demand exactly equal pieces. "Not a problem!" you shout. But as you pull out your only knife, you realize it only has 3 cuts left before its durability runs out and it breaks. There's no time to mine more iron for a new knife.

How can you cut the pie with radius S such that 8 people can have equally sized pieces using only 3 cuts?

I find folding the pizza helps with this, I will not give any more hints though.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I find folding the pizza helps with this, I will not give any more hints though.

Sweet Necro'd Threads, Batman! Oh well.. anyways!

Taeberry pie is a sweet dessert dish in the vein of apple pie. :D

But actually, I selected Pie on purpose becuase this stops people from cutting things in half down the middle; you can't say it's equal unless people are equal in top and bottom crust!

It's actually a pretty hard math problem. The result looks whacky.

Reactions: cupcakesama
Status
Not open for further replies.