Red Power 2 status?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Well, would you mind linking to a mod that replaces Redpower Frames (that is compatible with FTB)? An alternative to the various Redpower machines (i.e. Deployers) that are in block form, and don't require coding knowledge?

Also, I know that AE is an alternative RP sorting, but there is something about watching color-coded items flow through tubes that I find immensely satisfying.
Complex Machines is taking up that torch.
Where would folks find further info about this? Replacing frames didn't seem to be mentioned in the (ugh) MCForum thread about it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
...people keep saying there's all these things that provide redpower's functionality, but I never see them actually link any of them.

Everything but frames. In most cases mods have gone past what RP2 could do. RP2 is the old model.

y'all got a replacement for the microblocks

Yes, we do. And it works on tile entities from other mods, too. You can cover up factorization wire, buildcraft pipes, Applied Energistics wire, and more.

redstone I can put on whichever side of a block I want,

Yes. Minefactory Reloaded has better wire than RP2 ever had. Sorry. Also works with aforementioned microblocks.

The wire is so powerful and cool I felt compelled to record a 10m video explaining its features.

compacted logic gates so I can continue not bloating my builds (and not in a form where I need to know how to code to use it, please),

Yes. Minefactory Reloaded has RedNet PLC controllers which offer more sophisticated and powerful redstone logic with compactness that far exceeds anything redpower could ever do. RP2 logic is child's play next to what MFR's rednet can do.

and a source of MJ that's as comparitively inexpensive as a semi-decent blutricity rigging...

No one cares about Blutricity if RP2 isn't around. But many mods offer good, inexpensive sources of MJ. Minefactory Reloaded offers a very powerful but less efficient bio-reaction engine that uses plants. Forestry also as many other options, as does Thermal Expansion.

and maybe another thing like flax so I can continue having a low-hassle source of string...

Yes. We are using Natura's cotton for string. It's wonderful and unlike RP2, actually plays well with other mod's farms.

then please pass it along so I can tinker with modpacks and get it all going. otherwise I'm fine on waiting, as much as I'd like to get updated.

The sad thing is I'm hardly the most mod-knowledgable person the forum.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The RedNet thing is seriously impressive. My hat's off to PowerCrystals, because that is pretty awesome. Yet another reason I can't wait for an official 1.5 pack!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I may be a bit odd (...) but I'd miss the Nikolite. Quite like seeing that while out mining, brightens up the underground and my inventory (especially with my texture pack) - oh well, will have to find some other ore to put the textures on instead :D

Now, I've never used frames, so won't miss those, and never advanced to the "highest" tier machines. I would miss the sorting machines and tubes. We would be left with diamond pipes or AE networks. Sorting machines fit nicely in the middle. Perhaps if BC had an advanced diamond pipe that has a similar interface to the sorting machine, that would be handy.
I'd also miss the look of red alloy wire. Being able to run them up/along blocks was a nice touch, different from a cable that just floats in the air.

Is there such a thing as a mod spotlight on Minefactory Reloaded? There appears to be a lot of toys in there.

Mobott

Jul 29, 2019

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Does Ugocraft even work with FTB? And by "similar things", well, all the Redpower machines that aren't related to pipe networks.
read my first sentence. I don't know. "Aparently" indicates I'm just passing on what I've heard, and that I haven't seen it for myself.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with ugocraft is that it is very resource intensive.
On the plus side, it can rotate blocks.

It also used to not work well with other mod blocks, and making some of the frame contraptions like the quarry is a real challenge, but things like doors and elevators are so much cleaner.

That being said, the servers would probably not like to have it, because of the computing it demands to work, but if you don't abuse it, it can be a fun mod to play around with.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
If people are looking for a Project Table replacement I suggest looking at the Project Bench mod. Very simple on the surface and even has a craftable upgrade to turn a regular workbench into the Project Bench. It has the Fabricator's ability from Xycraft to show on top what recipe is in the bench. Sounds like he has other features in mind as well.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1550010-152sspsmp-project-bench-v175forge5000-downloads/

We had a lot of bugs with that. Tons of item dupes and losses when we tried. Also, compared to the awesomeness of NEI + AE's ME Crafting Interface, it's hard to justify wanting a project table. I suppose as a low-tier object it makes sense...

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
We had a lot of bugs with that. Tons of item dupes and losses when we tried. Also, compared to the awesomeness of NEI + AE's ME Crafting Interface, it's hard to justify wanting a project table. I suppose as a low-tier object it makes sense...

I see that he has been working a lot of those bugs out in the posted changelog. I tend to go with a more lowtech style of pack so this is good for people wanting something like this in say the Magic Pack or a Steampunk style pack.

Reactions: KirinDave

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I see that he has been working a lot of those bugs out in the posted changelog. I tend to go with a more lowtech style of pack so this is good for people wanting something like this in say the Magic Pack or a Steampunk style pack.

Fair. I show off how the ME Crafting Interface + New-NEI shift-?-clicking works in my latest Let's Play. It's amazing. Like a project table where the inventory is everything in your ME system.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
Fair. I show off how the ME Crafting Interface + New-NEI shift-?-clicking works in my latest Let's Play. It's amazing. Like a project table where the inventory is everything in your ME system.

Yeah anyone with AE or a tech pack will likely go that route and I can't blame them either. I do wish Minefactory Reloaded was more modular I wouldn't mind moving RedNet into the pack I'm using but the rest seems a bit too out of theme or high tech for even a Steampunk feel.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah anyone with AE or a tech pack will likely go that route and I can't blame them either. I do wish Minefactory Reloaded was more modular I wouldn't mind moving RedNet into the pack I'm using but the rest seems a bit too out of theme or high tech for even a Steampunk feel.

Yeah of course no mods actually give you that feel. THe only one I know of offhand that doesn't break theme is RotaryCraft. Oh and before you say "RailCraft" let me cut you off by saying, "Lasers from Buildcraft."

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah of course no mods actually give you that feel. THe only one I know of offhand that doesn't break theme is RotaryCraft. Oh and before you say "RailCraft" let me cut you off by saying, "Lasers from Buildcraft."

Yeah I've been looking at RotaryCraft it certainly seems interesting. I'm using RailCraft at the moment and dealing with the lasers aspect. It's not too far out though compared to some other tech mods. I just know I have to swap out RedPower as it is holding me back at this point. Love the mod but I also love all of the other stuff added to the other mods I use. I should give Minefactory another look perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.