Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
If we can get 1.2.5 mods working in 1.7, surely we can get 1.7 mods working in 1.8?
Potentially this whole porting business could be avoided altogether. (tech support nightmare mind).​
Much as I'd like to not have to target 1.8 since I can hardly play it, this is a whole lot harder. FyberOptic's project relies on the fact that back then most mods did everything they needed by going either through Forge's API or directly to Minecraft. Everything that patched Minecraft was included in Forge, centralizing all replacement base classes and eliminating incompatibilities between things that need to modify the same class. Nowadays a significant and growing fraction of mods use coremods, which are much like base-class modding but requiring more work to maintain, introducing less incompatibilities and not violating Mojang's copyright as much.
I do actually enjoy jarmodding. It's fun. People seem to think it's okay to copy jarmods though.
Speaking from experience, jarmods are no fun for the end user when they break. A jarmod-to-coremod tool would give us the best of both worlds, but generating semantically compatible class patches seems like a nuisance, so I'm not holding my breath.

ceselegend

Jul 29, 2019
I would do anything to not use jarmods ever again. It is a real pain for end users and it would be like going back to Risugami's modloader all over again. Please don't do that.

ceselegend

Jul 29, 2019
No it's not really hard, it's just the number of user not being able to delete the META_INF folder and crying on forums because "teh mod is no workin". But you got a point with Cubic Chunks : that is REALLY awesome.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
And it's not immediatly obvious if two jarmods are compatible which each other. I guess few users would go ahead and check if they have a class file name in common.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the mod. And installing really isn't hard at all.
Stuff like Cubic Chunks is impossible to do with Forge [or anything really]; everyone who's ever wanted more/infinite vertical height raise your hoof.

I suspect that with the right pull request cubic chunks could work. But that would be like practically rewrighting forge. If only we knew people who would do that sort of thing.

Reactions: RedBoss

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's not worth the trouble to include a change like this into Forge. And that's also not what Forge was made for.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ftfy. Imo, the only thing stopping a Minecraft-clone is the name "Minecraft" and the people who would stick to the original because they already paid for it.

There are tonnes of Minecraft clones. The problem isn't the name or that people are sticking with the original, its that almost all the alternatives are complete shite that are blatantly ripping off Minecraft...which itself is a blatant ripoff of Infiniminer, but that's another story. If you want a good "Minecraft-like" game, you need to break out of the mold of what Mojang's done and create an actual, superior product. I'll just leave this here: it is possible to have Minecraft without the cubes. Its just a matter of putting in the effort.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
There are tonnes of Minecraft clones. The problem isn't the name or that people are sticking with the original, its that almost all the alternatives are complete shite that are blatantly ripping off Minecraft...which itself is a blatant ripoff of Infiniminer, but that's another story. If you want a good "Minecraft-like" game, you need to break out of the mold of what Mojang's done and create an actual, superior product. I'll just leave this here: it is possible to have Minecraft without the cubes. Its just a matter of putting in the effort.

Yah there already is a minecraft without the cubes. It's not that good.
Besides The simple foundation of MC is one of it's pluses.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a few good clones, or at least clones that have potential. The problem is, since they have little to no support and they're generally free, there's no community, few contributors, which causes little to no motivation amongst the developers.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's not worth the trouble to include a change like this into Forge. And that's also not what Forge was made for.

Cubic chunks is a mod. A complex mod but a mod non the less. And forge was created to let mods play nice with one another.