Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Expand so that it covers all the hostile mob drops. Thus peaceful players can have options.

What about a "not-so-peaceful" difficulty setting?
Player stats are the same as peaceful
Mobs spawn and "attack" as normal
But monsters can't physically damage the player.
Mob griefing still controlled by the /domobgriefing cheat code.
Basically it allows peaceful players to interact with monsters, play around with mob farms, exp ect and learn how to fight/survive without putting themselves in any significant danger.

Reactions: 1SDAN

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
So for multiple mob drop support, I'm thinking of a system where you can "enrich" special soil with a mob drop and then plant a seed on it that sprouts similarly to the mechanism behind a pumpkin. When the stalk gets mature and ready to sprout a blossom, it will vary on the type of drop the soil underneath is enriched with and this can be used to farm any type of drop. The soil has a chance to lose its richness when the bloom grows and will need to be enriched again down the road if you wish to keep using the plant.
Another means would be surrounding a "node" that follows the same concept in a medium such as obsidian or stone and the node will slowly turn the surrounding blocks into something that can be harvested for the mob drop. (this plan has been percolating for a while).
It would be easy to make this configurable as well as potentially have mod support.
And for a less long-term method that encourages mining, there could be a "life-vulnerable ore" that when you can enrich with a drop, then harvest with fortune to get more of that drop... any other ideas people have?

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
What about a "not-so-peaceful" difficulty setting?
Player stats are the same as peaceful
Mobs spawn and "attack" as normal
But monsters can't physically damage the player.
Mob griefing still controlled by the /domobgriefing cheat code.
Basically it allows peaceful players to interact with monsters, play around with mob farms, exp ect and learn how to fight/survive without putting themselves in any significant danger.

This kind of misses the point. People playing peaceful don't particularly want to interact with mobs and there would still be issues with your suggestion (I can't think of a single player that hasn't been knocked into lava for example) that would make it unappealing for the peaceful players. The problem that peaceful modded players have is that a substantial number of recipes require mob drop items with no way to obtain them apart from cheating them in. For people that don't want to deal with mobs but still want to play in survival it's frustrating and if someone absolutely refuses to go creative will find their progress capped very early on.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I struggle with what to do for a player playing in peaceful mode, most of what I have in mind depends on at least some mob drops to begin with. If you stray from this route, you look at a dozen specific seeds that you need to get into the hand of the player somehow... crafting recipes or dungeon loot... maybe a random drop block of some sorts? I don't know. Any ideas?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I sometimes like to play in peaceful, and I had a script that would allow me to get mob drops from farming sugarcane and wheat. I could remake it of you'd like.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This kind of misses the point. People playing peaceful don't particularly want to interact with mobs and there would still be issues with your suggestion (I can't think of a single player that hasn't been knocked into lava for example) that would make it unappealing for the peaceful players. The problem that peaceful modded players have is that a substantial number of recipes require mob drop items with no way to obtain them apart from cheating them in. For people that don't want to deal with mobs but still want to play in survival it's frustrating and if someone absolutely refuses to go creative will find their progress capped very early on.
More difficult but probably better would be a mod that makes mobs non-hostile until attacked.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

There's a peacefull table that can get mob items in peacefull mode.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Depends on the kind of gameplay mechanics you're after.

My limited experience of peaceful was mostly due to being a total noob, so it almost served as a tutorial mode so I could at least grasp the basic game mechanics before I re-added them.
This would just expand on that a little more- allowing a gentler introduction to combat, and the experience of fighting the boss mobs ect...​
You can get knocked into lava on peaceful mode anyway (overly friendly wolves)- but if monsters aren't causing physical damage one would assume theres no knockback from the attack- so no risk of being pushed in.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I only ever played peaceful so I could not have all the hostiles running around slowing my computer down

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Skeletons have always been far worse than creepers ever could be.
This. At least you can run up and try to bludgeon a creeper to death before it blows. Skeletons are more:
Try to run up>arrow to face>get knocked back>repeat steps 1-3 a few times>die

....or the lovely "hmm, that diamond ore is near a lava lake, I should be fine if I crouch..." next thing you know you get sniped into the lava (after mining the ore, of course.)