Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
ikr.

vMC will use multithreading to optimize dimensions.
Ah. Excellent. One of my biggest gripes about MineCraft (and Dwarf Fortress) is the sorry state of multithreading support.

Question to devs, although I'm probably answering it by asking it, is multithreading that complicated that nobody wants to deal with adding it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. Excellent. One of my biggest gripes about MineCraft (and Dwarf Fortress) is the sorry state of multithreading support.

Question to devs, although I'm probably answering it by asking it, is multithreading that complicated that nobody wants to deal with adding it?

I would think that some of the main issues fall under keeping things in sync, which is why the separate dimensions being threaded is where they are starting. This is a cool link though for some insight:
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/JavaConcurrency/article.html
I think the aether people put lighting in its own thread to solve the floating island light == lag problems they had.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019

In Lua, multithreading was worth it, but you had to use a poop ton of functions.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
In Lua, multithreading was worth it, but you had to use a poop ton of functions.
Hooray for the steady march and progression of technology, which is almost impossible for people to take advantage of =P

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I want an Ender mod so I can use ansibles to create Jane to transport stuff remotely. How's that for expensive transportation?
You know, ansibles or the like might be just right for the interdimensional mechanics of Ultratech. I'll keep that idea in mind, thanks! :D

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
I completely get you points and agree with them Dorque, I just wish that there was something out there that was really cool actual game content instead of being something simply born out of convenience.
One of the things that possibly follows this is the request pipe/remote requester/ender chest that logistics pipes and ender storage can put together. This in my mind is really cool gameplay, it takes some effort to set up, and isn't just 6 bags in your inventory.
I do try to force myself to be "on my game" in terms of keeping my inventory from getting cluttered.
Unfortunately at the end of the day, most people still want the convenience of a simple bag to open in their hotbar (which is reasonable), and anything that would be more realistic would need to override important player inventory things to be worthwhile/cool or still remain really powerful/convenient to compete with magic bags.
One of the key things for me when putting a pack together and when first starting the the world is a bag. I like having multiple bags to seperate all my stuff out, and hate having anything in my actual inventory. That may have a lot to due with me recording my gameplay though, and not wanting to derp around looking for stuff on camera (what is more annoying to viewers than that?!) It is always nice to know where everything is/goes and that I can just open this bag here for my tools or that bag there for the mats I prepared for the build we are doing this episode.

One of the things I am most looking fwd to in 1.7 is AE2 and the new view filtering Algo put in. The View Cells are epic. :)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
One of the key things for me when putting a pack together and when first starting the the world is a bag. I like having multiple bags to seperate all my stuff out, and hate having anything in my actual inventory. That may have a lot to due with me recording my gameplay though, and not wanting to derp around looking for stuff on camera (what is more annoying to viewers than that?!) It is always nice to know where everything is/goes and that I can just open this bag here for my tools or that bag there for the mats I prepared for the build we are doing this episode.

One of the things I am most looking fwd to in 1.7 is AE2 and the new view filtering Algo put in. The View Cells are epic. :)

I always hoped someone would make a starting bag mod. the server owner or modpack developer can set it so a new player would receive this bag upon loading the world.
in the bag there are items that can be configured through configs, this way a server owner or a modpack developer can give starting items to players without overflowing their inventory.
but the bag is similar to a dartcraft spoils bag, you can take items out, but can't put them back in, this way you can take out the items you need, and leave the rest in the bag for later.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I always hoped someone would make a starting bag mod. the server owner or modpack developer can set it so a new player would receive this bag upon loading the world.
in the bag there are items that can be configured through configs, this way a server owner or a modpack developer can give starting items to players without overflowing their inventory.
but the bag is similar to a dartcraft spoils bag, you can take items out, but can't put them back in, this way you can take out the items you need, and leave the rest in the bag for later.
If I were a server owner in there, I would be tempted to put in a real backpack!

Good idea though.