Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I may be the first to summon/suggest summoning Reika with a ritual, so I take some blame there too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
In regards to the update and how easy it was... Azanor's tears were enough to fill rivers -allot of his stuff was based off what was removed with 1.7-

Still he managed to update so kudos to him, he brought allot of new features that were outstanding too.. Though it still seem like research wiping is hitting... Honestly it happened less with the original way he was doing research saves before... Might even be better possibly since achievements don't wipe every time you log in now right? Maybe... I don't know... Eitherway it looks like it hit taint pritty hard with that render bug... some people have reported that the new update helped fix the issue... i'm still kinda nervous..[DOUBLEPOST=1400590480][/DOUBLEPOST]
The idea of making a mod in Notepad gives me hives but this is technically true ;)
Also Forbidden magic was done with Notepad++ =D

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Also Forbidden magic was done with Notepad++ =D
For the very limited amount of coding I do/am capable of doing, I still mostly use just Notepad, because that's how I learned it... at least, the stuff I didn't learn to do on one of these:

pet4032-12.jpg

Black screen with green text, baby. The ONLY way to code. Oh, and you need to use an external tape drive to save your programs.

I always wanted to write a web browser for it. Confuse the everloving flip out of anyone trying to trace me.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
For the very limited amount of coding I do/am capable of doing, I still mostly use just Notepad, because that's how I learned it... at least, the stuff I didn't learn to do on one of these:

pet4032-12.jpg

Black screen with green text, baby. The ONLY way to code. Oh, and you need to use an external tape drive to save your programs.

I always wanted to write a web browser for it. Confuse the everloving flip out of anyone trying to trace me.

Kids are spoiled these days. Why don't you use punch cards like a real man. :D

Reactions: YX33A

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

pet4032-12.jpg

Oh man, you make me pine for my TRS-80. BASIC was nice, but I was a FORTRAN nerd. Cthulu is real... unless declared integer.

Reactions: YX33A

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed on the news thread that Routers and the bag of holding have been removed from Factorization in the 1.7 port. Its not all bad news of course. Neptune pink continues to work hard on servos which have always been said to inherit the role of routers (at least that's what I heard being said). In 1.4 and especially 1.5 I used routers all the time for all sorts of things but in 1.6 I have been using different mods to achieve my goals. Itemducts and Steve's Factory manager are two things that I can think of that have similar functionality to routers and are arguably more interesting than routers. Servos themselves are more interesting than routers (although they are tricky to learn).

I would like to hear other peoples response to this FZ update.

What do you use the Router for as your first choice in 1.6?
Are you disappointed that the Router has been removed in 1.7?
What about the golden bag of holding?
Does anyone have more information about the servos, and how are they going for you?
Someone has finally added a way of cycling through placed paintings, who else is as pleased as I?

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, he removed the router? That was the ONLY reason I would have used FZ for... I mean, I seen the servos, but they look extremely less useful.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, he removed the router? That was the ONLY reason I would have used FZ for... I mean, I seen the servos, but they look extremely less useful.
Go play with servos. They are more versatile than any other sorting system currently existing. They can do anything you can possibly imagine and then some.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Their uses are certainly less obvious. I have tried to give them a go and I have had great fun making a sugar cane farm with them. I have also seen someone demonstrating crystalliser automation with them which was very impressive. I haven't had a chance to learn it properly myself though. The documentation is not entirely straightforward, but maybe the new manual will help there.

Also, I am not sure that routers are as useful as they once were. Other mods have come along, especially in 1.6 that are just as capable as routers in every way except reducing cable clutter. More importantly, servos and socket parts are capable of doing the same as a router. So I am not too sad to see them go, although I hope Neptune pink won't mind if someone were to reimplement (without stealing code of course) a similar idea because I can see the appeal of the router. It was pretty cool for a placeholder.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I never use routers. The one time I did was only duplicating WayofTime's XP/bee setup. The only thing I've ever used from factorization on my own was wrath lamps. That's not to belittle the mod. I respect its out of the box approach. I'm just not a logistics guy. What ever method of putting stuff in chests is the quickest and simplest, is what I'm aiming for. I see the intrigue with complexity, but it's not my thing.

^_^

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Go play with servos. They are more versatile than any other sorting system currently existing. They can do anything you can possibly imagine and then some.

I'm curious on how many harvesting things I can achieve with servos and how compact I can get it. MFR farming is a *bit* too simple for my tastes

Reactions: VapourDrive