Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
Then one of the reasons I do like it is probably that I never attempted to build a complicated automated system with Botania :p
I never went beyond the pressure plate-hopper-open crate build for Endoflames.

You can maintain a S-level Terra Shatterer with a pretty simple Gourmaryllies based setup. Imo its quite easy to hide automation setups, you can have everything in a hidden basement so I haven't encountered the problem with Botania getting in the way of aesthetically pleasing builds.

Then again my world is nowhere near as pretty as @epidemia78 's, so maybe I'm just not being fancy enough :p

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well said, that was worded far better than I could have hoped to do. Your reasons for not liking it are pretty much identical to mine. :p

I have a knack for negativity. :p Upon hearing that Botania was once again nerfed, and the config option removed that made the relatively decent looking mana generation design I came up with possible, I just couldnt hold back anymore. Nobody can say I did not give Botania a fair try.

f6jcBnJ.png

RIP mana water tower thingy

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
True, however easy designs like that are what made the nerfs happen. But that's human nature; one of our best traits and worst flaws, is that even the most industrious person is lazy af. A human will never do more work then what the think is needed to achive their goals. They will take a myriad of options and pick the most efficient streamlined effortless path. Nobody does things the harder/ hardest way. Even if it's their goal to make over complicated systems they are still going to go about it in the easiest most efficient way possible.

However I dislike the config removal, clearly folks find the wither mechanic displeasing if they constantly turn it off. Anything less then an ingame week of flower lifespan is way too stingy. To be frank Vas may want to just remove the passive gen all together and just make everyone start off with a black lotus or two so they can get enough mana for an endoflame.
The only thing passives do now is act as a timewaste progression gate to getting endoflames.
A better nerf would be to remove the withering and make it so passives can't output to anything more advanced than a regular mana spreader and put in mesures that prevent spaming of spreaders.

I know Vas did this to prompt people to use other mana gen, but it might just drive folks away or turn them off at the onset. Vas could have just buffed the other flowers and tweaked the mana cost of the big ticket items. Because the complexity cost just doesn't justify the gain you get from other gens. I don't even use passives and even I stick to just endoflames, are they going to wither now too? /knockwood.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I fully support the config removal. Just not yet.
I feel that the withering mechanic has a lot more potential than 'just a nerf', right now it feels unpolished and lacking that distinct flair the rest of the mod has.
Hopefully Vaz can find the time to really flesh out this concept and turn it into a fully fledged mechanic.
Then thats a good time to drop the config ;)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Very short flower lifetimes?

Minecraft is normally in a "state of temporal grace", you might say. Water flows downhill, and doesn't go away. Trees and animals have no life cycle. There is no rain/evaporation cycle. Things just sit there; there's no erosion, no change of mountains, etc.

The idea of "Lets make things age, die, grow, etc." is a significant change just on its own.
Rainfall/evaporation is a major change.
Heck, water actually flowing downhill, instead of staying there, is a major change.

Flowers sit there.
Grass sits there.

The semi-omnipotent, demi-god actor is the player.
Changing this, such that the player is now a minor figure in an active world?

Less of a game, and more of a simulation.

For some people, that's a good thing.
For others, it's not.

A mod designed around the idea that natural resources will be time limited and go away?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
True, however easy designs like that are what made the nerfs happen. But that's human nature; one of our best traits and worst flaws, is that even the most industrious person is lazy af. A human will never do more work then what the think is needed to achive their goals. They will take a myriad of options and pick the most efficient streamlined effortless path. Nobody does things the harder/ hardest way. Even if it's their goal to make over complicated systems they are still going to go about it in the easiest most efficient way possible.

However I dislike the config removal, clearly folks find the wither mechanic displeasing if they constantly turn it off. Anything less then an ingame week of flower lifespan is way too stingy. To be frank Vas may want to just remove the passive gen all together and just make everyone start off with a black lotus or two so they can get enough mana for an endoflame.
The only thing passives do now is act as a timewaste progression gate to getting endoflames.
A better nerf would be to remove the withering and make it so passives can't output to anything more advanced than a regular mana spreader and put in mesures that prevent spaming of spreaders.

I know Vas did this to prompt people to use other mana gen, but it might just drive folks away or turn them off at the onset. Vas could have just buffed the other flowers and tweaked the mana cost of the big ticket items. Because the complexity cost just doesn't justify the gain you get from other gens. I don't even use passives and even I stick to just endoflames, are they going to wither now too? /knockwood.

I tried out many different generating flowers til I settled on the water-consuming ones. Not out of laziness but because I liked the way the design looked. I could have easily switched over to a similar design using the lava-consuming flowers but that is beside the point. I liked the blue color, and having something useful to do with water seemed a nice change of pace. Also I think you underestimate humans a bit. this particular human, anyway. When it comes to building power generating setups, I tend to go for what looks awesome, not what is most efficient. My Magneticraft steam turbine setup used Railcraft steam boilers and pipes even though tesseracts and a big reactor would have been much easier. Sometimes I feel like the lazy good for nothings who play on servers are ruining the game for me. :p

kolatra

Jul 29, 2019
thumb.png

Say hello to the advanced rocketry Alpha release!

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/236542-advanced-rocketry

Currently getting things setup but its finally here!

{
Requires LibVulpes to run!

Advanced Rocketry is a mod about exploration and exploitation of other worlds and celestial bodies.

Research and discover planets and moons within solar systems. And travel to them via rocket propulsion.

Build custom rockets on a Weight to Thrust Ratio. (most decorative block mods supported. Multipart is currently not supported)

Currently in Alpha. Please report any bugs.

Currently rockets use liquid water as propulsion fuel processing chain will come in a upcoming release!

Tutorial/Informational video:

Current features implemented

1. Modular rockets
  2. Planetary research
  3. Multiblock machines to create parts.
  4. Supports RF
  5. Satellites (Data Sats.)
  6. First solar system explorable.
Potential features in road map.

• Starships
  • Vanity rocket parts.
  • Higher Tier engines, Fuel storage and rocket components.
  • New solar systems.
  • More satellites Eg. Redstone up-link for wireless redstone, mining satellites,defensive satellites.
  • Remote controlled Rovers.
  • Space probes for deep space data collection.
  • Gas Giant/Asteroid belt mining via drones.
Have any suggestions? leave us a comment down below!
}
Hype!

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ok then why didn't you make the tower 12x taller (probably because of height restrictions)? You took the easiest path to your goal and only continued to build to a practical limit.
Key term "your goal".

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Ok then why didn't you make the tower 12x taller (probably because of height restrictions)? You took the easiest path to your goal and only continued to build to a practical limit.
Key term "your goal".
Well I guess towers that high aren't very aesthetic either. I guess it really isn't possible to make an appealing mana generation system that produces a good amount of mana without hiding the most parts of it.

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Key term "your goal".

I think having it any higher wouldnt have looked as good. Would have built more towers but couldnt find any practical use for the mana I already had nor could I think of a good design for a "Botania house" before the world started being laggy. Also it had something to do with having enough room for an full stack of 64 flowers and being distracted by mods I actually enjoy.

Well I guess towers that high aren't very aesthetic either. I guess it really isn't possible to make an appealing mana generation system that produces a good amount of mana without hiding the most parts of it.

Yeah, I dont want to hide anything if I can help it. I even leave all (most) of my pipes and wires visible:
kLLtKoe.png

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Well said, that was worded far better than I could have hoped to do. Your reasons for not liking it are pretty much identical to mine. :p

I have a knack for negativity. :p Upon hearing that Botania was once again nerfed, and the config option removed that made the relatively decent looking mana generation design I came up with possible, I just couldnt hold back anymore. Nobody can say I did not give Botania a fair try.
RIP mana water tower thingy

First: New Dawn.

Second: Botania doesn't do well as a "core/major" mod. It adds "glue". And yes, the new nerfs are obnoxious. I personally use a large number of "exploit" cross-mod interactions to make botania cry uncle under the strain of stupid levels of mana generation, and I'm going to be making my personal mod have an item that one-shots the Gaia Guardian simply because the fight is HORRIBLY tedious, not difficult, just tedious. But the little things it allows you to do are generally absurdly hard or involve using a general purpose EXTREMELY powerful tool. Like the clayconia. Making renewable clay is a horribly obnoxious process if you don't have MFR, or use an Equivalency mod like Project E. I use it for accents, for components, for capabilities. Nobody thinks of making a house centered around Warp Book, or Gravitation Suite, or Nuclear Control. They're all "addons" not "content mods". Botania is in the gap between, and if you aren't doing a specially themed pack, it probably won't fit well enough to stand on its own... and honestly? I'm fine with that. I'm going to sit there with my Ring of the Aesir and SS rank Terra Shatterer still having fun manually mining... except this time in 9x9x9 cubes :p

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
First: New Dawn.

Second: Botania doesn't do well as a "core/major" mod. It adds "glue". And yes, the new nerfs are obnoxious. I personally use a large number of "exploit" cross-mod interactions to make botania cry uncle under the strain of stupid levels of mana generation, and I'm going to be making my personal mod have an item that one-shots the Gaia Guardian simply because the fight is HORRIBLY tedious, not difficult, just tedious. But the little things it allows you to do are generally absurdly hard or involve using a general purpose EXTREMELY powerful tool. Like the clayconia. Making renewable clay is a horribly obnoxious process if you don't have MFR, or use an Equivalency mod like Project E. I use it for accents, for components, for capabilities. Nobody thinks of making a house centered around Warp Book, or Gravitation Suite, or Nuclear Control. They're all "addons" not "content mods". Botania is in the gap between, and if you aren't doing a specially themed pack, it probably won't fit well enough to stand on its own... and honestly? I'm fine with that. I'm going to sit there with my Ring of the Aesir and SS rank Terra Shatterer still having fun manually mining... except this time in 9x9x9 cubes :p

Well, thats a convoluted bit of thinking. If making clay and manually mining ridiculously over-sized holes is your bag then more power to you, who am I to judge? (weirdo) I will be over there in the corner not mining if I can help it and using Mekanism if I need mass quanties of clay.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Well, thats a convoluted bit of thinking. If making clay and manually mining ridiculously over-sized holes is your bag then more power to you, who am I to judge? (weirdo) I will be over there in the corner not mining if I can help it and using Mekanism if I need mass quanties of clay.
More like the first examples I thought of. There are tools that are best in class and capabilities not usually found in other mods (mek isn't common in packs I've seen). But it doesn't have the level of content of something like… heck, forestry. Think more like Extra Utilities, not Thaumcraft. It gets its power from giving you a good toolbox and letting you at your own problems (like redpower); sure it's suffered from the option-narrowing nerfs, but it's still a good general purpose/utility/automation mod for filling in gaps in capability or providing alternative solutions. And if the nerfs are a problem? New Dawn :)