Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

tausrus222

Jul 29, 2019
I will admit, I was a bit of an ass about the situation and I am sorry about that. While I am sorry about that "Dick Move Award" Comment, I still don't agree with the fork and still think it shouldn't be a thing, but I digress. I wasn't really in a good mood to begin with, and seeing that pissed me off more. I wasn't really helping with your situation, and only really contributing to the problem.
I don't really mind what you said, it is understandable, I released this fully expecting to get backlash.

On a side note, curse has contacted vazkii who has permitted that my fork be relallowed on their site.

tausrus222

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't make sense...the license explicitly says that it covers the assets as well, in particular the textures and language files.
The Curse people shouldn't be biased about that...also, they did allow the Chisel fork didn't they?

Vazkii actually changed the license to cover assets after curse took it down and contacted her about it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I never intended for this to become so popular, and due to the massive amounts of hate flooding into my inboxes on various sites, I am seriously considering removing the download until further notice. But the main thing that is stopping me is that besides myself they're people who legitimately want to use this, and I am reluctant to close up shop just because most people hate what I am doing.

Two things I wanted to mention, and this specific post was perfect for it. The first being that I like the sound of what you've done thus far. So long as you want to keep going and the license and all that permits it, I'd say go for it. I know I'll be using this version if I ever figure out why people like Botania in the first place. Secondly, if you're getting hate-mail here, report it / get a hold of a mod, we'll handle any rule violations going on. That stuff isn't acceptable regardless of how strongly people feel about something.
FTB (Botania is this community's golden child. Less trolls, more virulent hatred)

If someone could explain this to me, I'd appreciate it. I've been completely unable to understand the fascination with Botania since release, and with how much this community seems to love it, I'd like to know why that is.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
If someone could explain this to me, I'd appreciate it. I've been completely unable to understand the fascination with Botania since release, and with how much this community seems to love it, I'd like to know why that is.

Its one of the best magically themed mods in my opinion. Almost on equal footing as Thaumcraft, but the latter wins out due to the amount of addons that exist to extend its features and functionality. Though to be fair Thaumcraft has had far more time in order to attain all of that, while Botania by comparison is younger.

The aesthetic of the mod is beautiful, whether you're looking at textures, models or particle effects. The guide book is easily the best form of in-game documentation I've ever seen. Every other mod should try to replicate this in some shape or form in my opinion. Nothing annoys me more than having to stop my gameplay because I have to lookup the function of some obscure block.

The wide range of Baubles, equipment and items it offers pretty much fills almost any kind of function that you think you will need during a playthrough.

This is also established upon a very solid design philosophy when it comes to automation and infrastructure setup in order to obtain said items. You can automate pretty much anything involved in Botania with only vanilla items and Botania's own tools for automation. I personally enjoy building and automation and having to think about how I want to go about it, limiting myself mostly to Botania items [with some help from JABBA, Projred, Thaumcraft] is very enjoyable.

I am relatively new to the modded minecraft scene, having started with 1.7.10 and one of the first mods I jumped deeply into was Botania. The level of effort and absolute polish it has is something that I've struggled to find in any other mod or suite of mods [except Thaumcraft like I mentioned and I have yet to try Blood Magic]. I have yet to find a tech mod that gave me the same experience, though I do have high hopes for Immersive Engineering. I hope it will strive to be something more than just a fancy tech mod with pretty textures and models.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'll add on to @Adagiovibe's comment. Not only is it extremely well thought out and tightly integrated, with some of the best documentation around for ANY mod (Which is duplicated on the website... hint hint Thaumcraft addons); the tools it gives you are nearly always unique, powerful, capable, or all of the above. Red String allows for a frankly absurd number of functional AND aesthetic builds. The automation potential with Botania is absolutely absurd, it does many kinds of farms better than nearly any other mod. The Ring of Magnetization is one of the more effective and easily obtained item magnets around (which is a function that honestly should be in the game. You can break blocks 4 meters away, why can't you pick them up from that far?). The Corporea System... wireless short-range item transport via sparks; a lot like LP and AE, except more limited in nature, and the ability to request items via chat. Elementium bucket is a void bucket. The Flügel Tiara used to be a very nice "fuel cost" flight (not personally a fan of the recent change to the tiara). Luminizers. The mana burst system can be used for a whole host of wireless tasks thanks to the detectors and lenses. Mob "Shedding"; dropping items from living mobs via config. Default is villagers drop emeralds every MC day or so, and chickens shed feathers. One-block adjustable, toggleable, redstone timer. Open Crate: one of the most effective item droppers in all of Modded MC. Portable Vanilla Ender Chest. The pure daisy can transform netherrack and soul sand into cobblestone and sand (among a few other transformations). Reasonably balanced autocrafting, and a portable crafting table that can remember recipes for quick-crafting. References (hey, they make me chuckle :p). The six relics are very interesting as well. A portable slime chunk/height detector (one of the generating flowers eats natural slime spawns for mana: as in, prevents the spawn and generates mana). Soujourner/Globetrotter's Sash. Honestly basically everything in the baubles section. Terra Shatterer: makes the TiCo hammer look like a child's toy, while still requiring an impressive investment of time and effort to get there; also has a lot of control over the functionality with a few auxiliary items. Timeless Ivy lets you add the mana-material consume-mana-to-repair functionality to at least vanilla items (I'm pretty sure it supports mod items too, but haven't tried)

Oh, and it adds skyblock mode: Garden of Glass. Replaces the need for Ex Nihilo and addons to run (nearly) all of the skyblock packs out there. I haven't tried to replace it, and haven't dug in deeply. But from a moderately in-depth look? Very capable.

I mean, just read the lexica online and note the sheer amount of functionality that's explicitly documented... and then double or triple it. There are some hidden functions and the community builds for Botania accomplish some mightily impressive things via clever interactions. One of the best parts is that it accomplishes all of this with no GUI's other than the lexica, and very simple overlays, a tiny handful (two?) of particle effects, while making a concerted effort at staying light on resources.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it has a whole bunch of contens and random items/blocks. Sometimes I think it's a bit too much bloat ^^
Anyway, Vazkii is doing a really good job designing all this, and the lexicon is impressively detailed indeed.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Honestly, I find the Lexicon to be an absolute pain. I like that the mod is documented, but the keybindings for the Lexicon need work IMO. As I haven't booted MC in weeks, I can't provide examples, but I remember it behaving the exact opposite way I would have expected, which is not a good thing design wise. Thanks for the input though, makes it easier to understand why people like it so much.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I find the Lexicon to be an absolute pain. I like that the mod is documented, but the keybindings for the Lexicon need work IMO. As I haven't booted MC in weeks, I can't provide examples, but I remember it behaving the exact opposite way I would have expected, which is not a good thing design wise. Thanks for the input though, makes it easier to understand why people like it so much.

What keybindings were you expecting? I thought mousewheel would have been the most straightforward but I guess I am wrong. Its a good suggestion idea though, to make the lexicon commands keybindable.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What keybindings were you expecting? I thought mousewheel would have been the most straightforward but I guess I am wrong. Its a good suggestion idea though, to make the lexicon commands keybindable.

I can't quite remember, it's been a while. For some reason I want to say it has something to do with hitting the escape key and it not matching with expected behaviour as per standard MC and computer behaviour, but I'm not sure.
@kotasc3636 any update? The curse page still says "Not found"

It was up after Vazkii had changed the copywrite, and it disappeared along with the github for it.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
I can't quite remember, it's been a while. For some reason I want to say it has something to do with hitting the escape key and it not matching with expected behaviour as per standard MC and computer behaviour, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, pretty sure that's implemented now. :p

Oh, hey Simon of YogCast is back. Not that it would matter with most of you, but at least he seems to be doing well since his surgery 5 months ago.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Matters to me! I have been watching them since their Survival Island series. Truly felt great seeing him back. This Derpulies miniseries has really been one of the best they've put out lately. Cornerstone was fun but a bit too chaotic I think, especially with all of the multiple pov videos.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I see. Definitely worth suggesting it as a new feature then. I think right now Escape lets you exit the book GUI.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Matters to me! I have been watching them since their Survival Island series. Truly felt great seeing him back. This Derpulies miniseries has really been one of the best they've put out lately. Cornerstone was fun but a bit too chaotic I think, especially with all of the multiple pov videos.
Let's just say that the madness that Hat Films brings to the party makes it worthwhile. Smith is very much a more active-minded Sips, IMO.

Anyways, let's not expect any Jaffa Cakes for a long, long while--it was heart surgery, I believe.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So what is the big deal about this new Botania?

The original post about it did not discuss what was changed. And there's not even a changelog on curse right now.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Vazkii removed the config and made all passive flowers decay after two in game days. kotasc3636 copied the mod with the change, and several others, reverted and put it up on curse. Curse eventually took it down due to violating Botania's license. Vazkii clarified the license and curse said they were going to put it back up. It's not up, though that could be curse or kotasc3636 or something else.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if kotasc3636 didn't bother to put it up again. It's like the whole world is against them. Except for Vazkii, amazingly.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
Though to be further honest, I think this might not be the time to be making suggestions, or am I reading it wrong?

I'm pretty sure any time is good for suggestions. The Enchanted Soil feature was a suggestion that someone posted on Reddit and Vazkii liked it. So definitely worth a try, IMO.

Reactions: ICountFrom0