Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe try to report them to mojang again?

They're on the bug tracker, I don't really know what more you can do than that without seeming like a pest. Besides, if they run the game at all then they know that these are issues.

Meanwhile, I "melted" 1.9 (what I call renaming all the snowmen characters in the local variable tables that they started leaving mid-1.8), gave it generic class names, and tried to decompile it. The resulting source code is really broken. This is the same version of Fernflower that I modified for FMC with 1.8 (my MCP alternative) that worked remarkably well. I even tried the version that comes with MCP, which is older but with many of its own custom patches, and it made no difference. Don't get me wrong, it's not really Mojang's fault, but it's certainly disappointing. Might be time to find a different decompiler.

EDIT: Looks like a lot of it is related to inner classes being referred to as their parent class.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I was watching a snapshot overview from docm77. Seems like Botanias paths and Gany's beet root got lifted into vanilla. Seems like it'll be better to just add the interesting stuff to 1.7 via mods.

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
I was watching a snapshot overview from docm77. Seems like Botanias paths and Gany's beet root got lifted into vanilla. Seems like it'll be better to just add the interesting stuff to 1.7 via mods.
Actually Mojang revealed the path blocks around the same time as Vazkii showed off the ones in Botania. And the beetroot was originally from the Pocket Edition.

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I am wrong but I think Vazkii got the idea from the 1.9 sneak peaks

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure there was first a picture and they both took the idea from it.

Also what about the biggest change- Another hand?

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
From what I have seen the End seems to have had the biggest update. I haven't explored myself yet but from what I have seen from Etho's videos it looks pretty cool.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/2sqwu6/i_made_a_road_simple_yet_so_much_nicer_than/

Took me a minute to find it. Like most Mojang content, it's blatantly community originated/directed. Horses, Pistons, Path Blocks, Hoppers... *sigh*

It's why I'm happy that Fyber is making "bring all the mods to 1.7" mods, and Gany (and others) are making "bring all the features from 1.8+ to 1.7" mods. We might finally have a stable version, Forge just has to stop supporting 1.8 so we can quit explaining this to all the new modders that are like "But mods are updating to 1.8!"

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, just because it's simple and easy doesn't mean it's going to be likely. *sigh* I was really hoping that Minecraft Forkage was actually going to be a thing.

Barring the easy solution, we just need to keep the major mods off 1.8... so far we've only really lost TC5, so that front is relatively secure at least with the sheer number of coders that are giving 1.8 the giant middle finger.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The entire community could move to 1.8 and I wouldn't. The floating mob physics is dreadful and jarring. It completely breaks my immersion.

Reactions: Golrith

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I fixed that physics crap a while back because it drives me crazy. This is compatible with Forge. The caveat is that it exaggerates another bug that makes mobs sink into blocks in certain situations, now going half-way down into'em instead of just hiding their shadows. But I can live with that.

There's also a version for Meddle now that works on any version of 1.8 and all of the 1.9 snapshots so far.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What changed in MC to cause that floatiness, and why on earth would that change have been made in the first place?

SoraZodia

Forum Ghost
Third Party Pack Team
Mod Developer
Mar 11, 2014
What changed in MC to cause that floatiness, and why on earth would that change have been made in the first place?
If I remember correctly, they switch the physic calculation from client-side to server-side and the delay between them is what caused the floatiness. I'm guessing they felt that the server should be the one that does the number-crunching while the client just handle the renderings.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Mob physics have always been kinda bugged...I guess everyone has seen these client-side glitches: When you have lots of mobs in a tight space (e.g. at the bottom of a mob farm) they occasionally appear to escape the confinement. Or when a mob or item is close to a ledge it looks like it would fall down and you can't hit it or pick it up. Or climbing spiders that appear at the wrong vertical position.

I wonder if that was a hasty attempt to fix these

Last edited:

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Mob physics have always been kinda bugged...I guess everyone has seen these client-side glitches: When you have lots of mobs in a tight space (e.g. at the bottom of a mob farm) they occasionally appear to escape the confinement. Or when a mob or item is close to a ledge it looks like it would fall down and you can't hit it or pick it up. Or climbing spiders that appear at the wrong vertical position.

I wonder if that was a hasty attempt to fix these

1.8 still has some really bad collision detection despite their attempt to put movement server-side only. I saw a Youtube video before where someone hit a mob clear through the floor when they had strong-enough knockback on their weapon. Probably happened when the bug where they sink partially into the floor was occurring.

The networking code just isn't good enough for everything to be server-side. You get the delay of the packet being processed probably on the next tick, then you get literally 3+ more ticks of movement smoothing. If you remove the smoothing then it's just all herky-jerky. In 1.7 and earlier it wasn't perfect either, since network packets coming in still affected the motion and gave a subtle stutter sometimes (which you can also see with my 1.8 patch). But I'll take that any day. I'll even take the glitching out of items on edges and spiders (which is probably due to floating point inaccuracies between the client and server).