Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
This is one of those things where unless you are either a lawyer or actively program it's best to not comment on because you will have no idea what you're talking about.

Hence me avoiding these discussions.
I'm quite disappointed that there isn't at least one lawyer in the minecraft community. Are all lawyers losers? :p

Reactions: 1SDAN

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Um so? Is it wrong to copy code? It's not like they are copying content. And all that code you wrote is based on vanilla minecraft code.
I mean copying, restructuring, changing things around and eventually improving and making new versions is how you learn things.
I'm one of those people who learn best by example. If I can see a case of something that actually works that I can look at and see exactly how it works, I can do it on my own no problem. You should only use other peoples' mods as an example, a working case of the thing you want to implement, not just outright copying. I know when I was trying to mod I looked at the source for extra utilities, gany's nether, openblocks. Did I outright copy any of the code? Absolutely not. I just saw how they did what I wanted to do so I could make my own version of it. That said, I want to make a dimension in the future. Seeing how @XolovA does his dimensions and his worldgen would undoubtedly be a massive help when I start tinkering with that. Reading his code and understanding how it works would make adding my own dimension infinitesimally easier.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That I know, but its placement in the post confuses me.
Basically the outpouring of support is positive, and they could give a dick if it hurts your feelings because it's trampling over your personal idea of The Way Things Should Be.

Honestly? I know why this stuff is happening and your mod has TANKED in popularity and public pack inclusion (for the community definition of public, not your, frankly odd, definitions used for modpack permissions). You're trying to both tell people how to play/not to play and then attempting to FORCE them to do so. The minetweaker restriction, the constant nerfs, your attitude towards opinions different from your own... I could keep listing things off, but Reika you're basically saying "My way is best" and then giving anyone that doesn't agree the middle finger. It's not a stretch to assume that a lot of the hate is because you're pissing people off for a reason, and not letting people play the way they want to play is a pretty good reason, ya know?

Reactions: RedBoss

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Basically the outpouring of support is positive, and they could give a dick if it hurts your feelings because it's trampling over your personal idea of The Way Things Should Be.

Honestly? I know why this stuff is happening and your mod has TANKED in popularity and public pack inclusion (for the community definition of public, not your, frankly odd, definitions used for modpack permissions). You're trying to both tell people how to play/not to play and then attempting to FORCE them to do so. The minetweaker restriction, the constant nerfs, your attitude towards opinions different from your own... I could keep listing things off, but Reika you're basically saying "My way is best" and then giving anyone that doesn't agree the middle finger. It's not a stretch to assume that a lot of the hate is because you're pissing people off for a reason, and not letting people play the way they want to play is a pretty good reason, ya know?
While I don't hate Reika, and actually greatly respect him, I do wish that modpack authors who fulfill certain requirements could at least better utilize his mods with given permission. Currently, it seems like the only way to really use them in a themed pack is to theme the pack around them. As for the reasoning why not, it's because there's going to be some entitled brat who goes and makes a modpack, without Reika's permission, that is just 10-20 mods and MineTweakering of them all to be as simple as possible. Then he goes and ad.flys the pack, runs a server with $1000 donator perks and claims he owns everything in the pack

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
While I don't hate Reika, and actually greatly respect him, I do wish that modpack authors who fulfill certain requirements could at least better utilize his mods with given permission. Currently, it seems like the only way to really use them in a themed pack is to theme the pack around them. As for the reasoning why not, it's because there's going to be some entitled brat who goes and makes a modpack, without Reika's permission, that is just 10-20 mods and MineTweakering of them all to be as simple as possible. Then he goes and ad.flys the pack, runs a server with $1000 donator perks and claims he owns everything in the pack
This is the reason for enforcement.

But a new rule set might be coming soon for packs, assuming I can figure out how to implement it. Stay tuned.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
An idea for modpack permissions.

Basically, the problem seems to be, "The blocks in rotarycraft that do things are nice. But to use them, I not only need whatever I already have that produces RF, but I also need to play rotarycraft in order to develop the tiering materials needed to power them internally, in order to be able to use the RF-to-shaft machines. And at that point, it's not adding rotarycraft's blocks and tools to my pack, it's starting over with rotarycraft to use those thingies."

Reika's counter: Rotarycraft is heavily gated/tiered by infrastructure development, not by resource acquisition. To use those blocks, get the infrastructure.

With that as the basic point, my 2 cents worth of idea is to say, "You can do other things to get the tiering. You don't have to have pure RoC progression. But you must make sure that each tier is in order". Additionally, some tiers should be restricted as unaltered -- for example, as I understand it, bedrock is tiered by needing to get a drop from the extractor, and a very high heat level from the friction heater. So, that's a large amount of power, gearing to match speed and torque, using an extractor in large quanitities, which in turn probably means automated mining, etc.

Right now, all of that has to be done in RoC. Some people would like to be able to do some of that with other systems. That, in a nutshell, seems to be the big issue.

If I have the issue understood properly, then it seems to me that the first thing to do is determine a list of all of tiering / gating that goes on in RoC, and then decide which can be done by outside tasks.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
cereal_guy_colress_by_jakerylander-d5kexg8.png
Yes. Yes it does, cereal Colress. Keep your shirts on people. (Not sure if a comma would make this sound better or worse. Ehh.)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm quite disappointed that there isn't at least one lawyer in the minecraft community. Are all lawyers losers? :p
There are quite a few lawyers that play MC, but they're all on the vanilla side. They did a fantastic job explaining the EULA fiasco.

Reactions: 1SDAN

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I know several people, including me, who learnt to code simply by looking at the Minecraft code. It's not that hard.
It's how I'm planning on it once I get a working knowledge of c/java so all the jargon doesn't have me completely bewildered. I don't want to learn Java for anything but modding minecraft. That's what things like C are for. Not a big java fan, though bigger fan of Java than Flash. Both can be used to make amazing things, but they way they're set up seems to be designed to make crappy programs unless you already know a lower-level language and understand the concepts of what flash/java are shortcutting to give you that "ease".

Want to learn how to program minecraft mods? Program a minecraft mod! Get stuck? Look at other mods with open source if you're stuck for implementation ideas (don't copy/paste), and then if you're really extra stuck ask mod authors. As long as you actually make an effort to learn, you'd be amazed at how helpful the community can be.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
It's how I'm planning on it once I get a working knowledge of c/java so all the jargon doesn't have me completely bewildered. I don't want to learn Java for anything but modding minecraft. That's what things like C are for. Not a big java fan, though bigger fan of Java than Flash. Both can be used to make amazing things, but they way they're set up seems to be designed to make crappy programs unless you already know a lower-level language and understand the concepts of what flash/java are shortcutting to give you that "ease".

Want to learn how to program minecraft mods? Program a minecraft mod! Get stuck? Look at other mods with open source if you're stuck for implementation ideas (don't copy/paste), and then if you're really extra stuck ask mod authors. As long as you actually make an effort to learn, you'd be amazed at how helpful the community can be.
/me kills Tome because C :p

I would learn a higher level language first, like Ruby or Python, or better yet something like F# or Scala. Or if you want to anger @CoolSquid Clojure :p

But yeah, most programs aren't written in C anymore, most people prefer to write in higher-level languages

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need to know a low level language to code high level, you just need some sort of understanding of the concepts, and most of the time, you don't even need that - you just need a working knowledge of how to search and ask StackOverflow when necessary.

Reactions: Strikingwolf