Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
That's a subforum not a premade thread. Which is precisely the opposite of what I'm talking about. What's the point in cluttering up a subforum with threads that only get 3 replies? That's basically what PM's are for.

What I'm talking about is... basically an endless thread. Where you can go to do off-topic short little bursts of conversation that you want to be public. Basically what REDThread and Idiotic Things do from time to time, except sanctioned and even encouraged (as long as it doesn't break the rules or get heated). Somewhere to take all this off-topic-ness to let it live its natural conversational course instead of being killed off abruptly; while simultaneously allowing people that really like commenting on a zillion disparate topics the kind of thread they like. Forums are uniquely suited to holding multiple conversational threads going at once, and the forums (in the "place of discourse" definition) that I have seen implement a system like this always seem to work out better. Something like the warframe discussion that was recently cleaned up in Really Idiotic Things. It's not likely to need its own thread, but if interest looks like it's picking up it could be moved to one just as easily (much like the Project E and Reikas Mods thread did).

I personally NEVER create a thread if it's intentionally going to only last a page or two unless it's to ask a specific question. Something like "take this off topic stuff to X" is not the realm of "start a new thread" in my opinion, it's "take it to the specially sanctioned thread we created an maintain for this reason". Threads are for conversational topics that are supposed to stand on their own, not asides that have grown out of hand.

The point is it HAS to be sanctioned by the moderators, AND used by the community. For the thread to do its job, it has to be used.

Taking this to private is not something I'm willing to do, this is a conversation that should not be handled in private, because it is a conversation that has educational impact. Sorry that's not what Conversations are for. The point of a public forum thread is public discourse. The point of a group PM is to have a private discourse. This topic needs the former not the latter.
Sorry but no.

I am going to have to call in agent @Flipz at this point to come and outline why you are wrong, because it seems you don't understand that this thread is for the discussion of recent things in modded minecraft i.e. the mods. Not the people who play them. Maybe who make them, depending on whether we are talking about a person stopping updating their mod. But that's about it

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Reactions: xbony2

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019

psp

Jul 29, 2019
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
This is star citizen.
They have yet to release anything that looks good imo.
With 78 million dollars and multiple years worth of time...
(10 bucks says the game will crash and burn)

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, compared to that it's really not much. But Minecraft mods apparently don't need as much resources to create as full-blown games. Some people even do it for free.

Reactions: jordsta95

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
This is star citizen.
They have yet to release anything that looks good imo.
With 78 million dollars and multiple years worth of time...
(10 bucks says the game will crash and burn)

I've seen a couple videos of it so far and I'm extremely impressed with the design of the ships they're going with, but we'll see how the combat ends up working. I have my doubts about that.
Hm, compared to that it's really not much. But Minecraft mods apparently don't need as much resources to create as full-blown games. Some people even do it for free.

Which I think is why the kickstarter isn't really going anywhere currently. People don't want to support something they feel people should do for free.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a couple videos of it so far and I'm extremely impressed with the design of the ships they're going with, but we'll see how the combat ends up working. I have my doubts about that.

Which I think is why the kickstarter isn't really going anywhere currently. People don't want to support something they feel people should do for free.
Eh, I just feel like the game as a whole is over hyped. Some of the features that are supposed to be implemented just seem too far fetched.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Eh, I just feel like the game as whole is over hyped. Some of the features that are supposed to be implemented just seem too far fetched.

Yep, I agree. I do hope they pull it off as that's my kind of game and it'll set the new standard, but I'm not jumping on the hypetrain just yet. :p

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

I really don't understand the kickback he's getting for daring to have a Kickstarter. It's like people have decided that all modders should do it for free in their spare time, nevermind the fact that it can take a significant amount of one's free time, if not all of it, if one is also employed full-time.

To anyone who thinks $10k is too much money to live on ... all I will say is you have no idea how little that really is and how much it truly costs to live. Rent, food, power, water, internet, phone, insurance, gas, ... it adds up far quicker than you think. Just ask any self-supporting adult here.

Yep, I agree. I do hope they pull it off as that's my kind of game and it'll set the new standard, but I'm not jumping on the hypetrain just yet. :p

I've a couple friends that have 'pledged' and beta tested it. Reception of the gameplay among them so far is pretty good.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I really don't understand the kickback he's getting for daring to have a Kickstarter. It's like people have decided that all modders should do it for free in their spare time, nevermind the fact that it can take a significant amount of one's free time, if not all of it, if one is also employed full-time.

I haven't heard about this. Is he really getting that much hate for it?
I've a couple friends that have 'pledged' and beta tested it. Reception of the gameplay among them so far is pretty good.

Awesome. Hopefully it stays that way.