Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
You're wrong. 1.6.4 -> 1.7 is NOTHING like 1.2.5 -> 1.3. Most of the changes are related to mapping name changes, the ID removal (which only affects more complex mods) and the network system rewrite.

1.7 -> 1.8 will get a lot more complex, from what I've tried to analyze via the snapshots. I don't think 1.9 will be any bad at that point, though.

C

chbachman

Dream on. Or better yet, no; C++ would be devastating for modders. Like, really.

If that happened, I think we would push as a community to reverse the changes, or even just decide that that is the last version for forge, which means that the game would be entity stable, and modders would be able to not have to change existing code.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Dream on. Or better yet, no; C++ would be devastating for modders. Like, really.

It'd be devastating to the modding scene as we know it, yes. Modding would survive, but not in any sort of capacity that we're used to. Might be a handfuls of modders, or maybe a couple teams. Someone would fill the niche.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
It'd be devastating to the modding scene as we know it, yes. Modding would survive, but not in any sort of capacity that we're used to. Might be a handfuls of modders, or maybe a couple teams. Someone would fill the niche.

No, without a proper API modding C++ games goes from transforming classes to patching ASSEMBLY CODE.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Assembly forget that. Here's some punch cards start coding in binary.
Hey now, I used to do FORTRAN coding on punch cards. It wasn't THAT bad. Just as long as you kept the cards in order. Oh, and you didn't use rubber bands to keep them together, because that would cause the cards to bend, which would make them get stuck in the mainframe and you'd crash the whole university mainframe until they can dig it out...

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Hey now, I used to do FORTRAN coding on punch cards. It wasn't THAT bad. Just as long as you kept the cards in order. Oh, and you didn't use rubber bands to keep them together, because that would cause the cards to bend, which would make them get stuck in the mainframe and you'd crash the whole university mainframe until they can dig it out...

Ah I bet you had to deal with some real de-buggin huh. I know the origin of that term. :D

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
No, without a proper API modding C++ games goes from transforming classes to patching ASSEMBLY CODE.
No big deal. In the old days everyone coded in ones and zeros, I'm sure we could all do that now. It's really nice, all the code looks the same, so I don't have to look at people's code who have terrible indent styles (seriously, an else statement shouldn't take up three lines :p).

If Mojang was to switch to c++ for realz, I'd be busy making a MineClone.

Reactions: PierceSG and 1SDAN

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
No big deal. In the old days everyone coded in ones and zeros, I'm sure we could all do that now. It's really nice, all the code looks the same, so I don't have to look at people's code who have terrible indent styles (seriously, an else statement shouldn't take up three lines :p).

If Mojang was to switch to c++ for realz, I'd be busy making a MineClone.
Could you write it in Python, please? At least I'd have a chance of understanding the class and module structure, as well as reflection. Plus all the documentation is in an easily downloadable HTML-based manual instead of "get this thing and stare at it in confusion before breaking down and getting this other thing you don't understand in order to fix the first problem, only to realize you need a manual you don't have".

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Could you write it in Python, please? At least I'd have a chance of understanding the class and module structure, as well as reflection. Plus all the documentation is in an easily downloadable HTML-based manual instead of "get this thing and stare at it in confusion before breaking down and getting this other thing you don't understand in order to fix the first problem, only to realize you need a manual you don't have".
Python? I've never used python though... I'd probably code it in java... or maybe try scala...

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Today, I saw two things that were interesting. The first is that the XU Ender-crafting thing no longer needs any power and is generally cheaper. I think it might also be faster. I like this.

The second is that BC is adding TC3-style research (read: resource drain). Just.....WHYYYYYYYYY. There's a config option to disable it, but.....well, read immibis' sig. In other BC-related news, robots can now do something more useful than pick up items and have a pretty respectable range, but they're still slow as hell and until that's fixed I don't see them being used in any serious modpack outside of VERY niche cases.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Today, I saw two things that were interesting. The first is that the XU Ender-crafting thing no longer needs any power and is generally cheaper. I think it might also be faster. I like this.

The second is that BC is adding TC3-style research (read: resource drain). Just.....WHYYYYYYYYY. There's a config option to disable it, but.....well, read immibis' sig. In other BC-related news, robots can now do something more useful than pick up items and have a pretty respectable range, but they're still slow as hell and until that's fixed I don't see them being used in any serious modpack outside of VERY niche cases.
I think the whole "spam item to research tech" is interesting the first time. After that, auto-crafting is the only clear solution, and the rest is a sink for time and resources. I honestly like the idea of mini-games to avoid repetition and add something interesting to the session -- but in Thaumcraft, you still have to scan the freaking planet in order to discover aspects and gain research points, and that got tedious to me about ten scans in (and hasn't gotten any better).

I can't blame SpaceToad for this. Research is an excellent controlling mechanic for tiered mods. It's just rarely done in a fun and exciting way. If you hadn't known, the game Factorio was actually inspired by Buildcraft, but literally half the game is grinding out research in exactly this manner: so many of X, Y, and Z items over so many seconds/minutes per cycle to make your discovery. This means that one of the biggest sub-games in Factorio (and incidentally, a spam-to-research Buildcraft) is designing and building an efficient factory for your research materials.

Etho made Dr. Gravel (two blocks of gravel and a sign with that name on it) as a stand-in researcher when he did his Technic Let's Play years ago, and had to research Thaumcraft stuff. Amusing at the time, but... yeah. If a pile of gravel can stand in for the player, then your research mechanic probably isn't very fun.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I must be the only person who uses mods to make things easier. At least vanilla things easier anyways. BC is the girl that brought me to the mod party. I saw the quarry and saw a way to automatically gather building materials. Not diamonds, not Redstone, not gold but building materials. I dont want to do research to get something I already know how to make or use. Even Azanor started hating his research system. Research sucks. Its a horrible gating method beyond 1 play through. This is a horrible idea for a tech mod. Horrible.

That said I'll adjust configs and bypass it. If configs get removed, so will the mod.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Here's something I suggested to him. Would this make you more likely to use the system?

Make it an optional but rewarding tack. Instead of it being forced.
Like so.
Do not have the system eat the items each time and have it give out a sample of the item being researched. (C)
This would be a way of getting items a bit cheaper and give people a really good reason to use it.
Make each research take longer than the last. (C)
and have it take longer each time (C).
But make it so you can plug the book into a block and add power to it to speed it up. (C).
With no default cap on how much it can be speed up. (C).
At specific points like before you get robots make it require an additional item for the reserch. Like a nether star. (C).
Or let you add items to speed it up. (C)
In addition to adding or replacing powering it. (C)

(C) = Configurable

Last edited:

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Here's something I suggested to him. Would this make you more likely to use the system?

Make it an optional but rewarding tack. Instead of it being forced.
Like so.
Do not have the system eat the items each time and have it give out a sample of the item being researched. (C)
This would be a way of getting items a bit cheaper and give people a really good reason to use it.
Make each research take longer than the last. (C)
and have it take longer each time (C).
But make it so you can plug the book into a block and add power to it to speed it up. (C).
With no default cap on how much it can be speed up. (C).
At specific points like before you get robots make it require an additional item for the reserch. Like a nether star. (C).
Or let you add items to speed it up. (C)
In addition to adding or replacing powering it. (C)

(C) = Configurable
Or just add a machine that'll automatically do the research for you at a high power cost...