Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The official RF API for 1.8.9 has just been released: https://github.com/CoFH/RedstoneFlux-API/tree/1.8

Warning! This new API is *not* compatible with what we have ported ourselves! I already updated mcjtylib, rftools and rftools dimensions but don't put these in any packs unless you have confirmed that the other RF mods have been ported to the new API.

McJtyLib also contains the new official RF API (until CoFHLib is released)
I'd love to know if there's any performance differences between the versions. Not that 1.7.10 exactly shredded my machine or anything, but I'd be curious to know if there's differences regardless.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'd love to know if there's any performance differences between the versions. Not that 1.7.10 exactly shredded my machine or anything, but I'd be curious to know if there's differences regardless.

Not really. It is just a simple hierarchy change. Nothing that would affect performance in any way. Besides that the api is pretty much identical

Reactions: Pyure

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
1.9 is the optimization update™ not 1.8

Although 1.8.9 already performs a lot better then 1.7.10. Especially with regards to rendering and chunk generation. It is a big difference. And mods like FastCraft or CoFHTweaks don't really help much to bring 1.7.10 to the level that 1.8.9 is already at.

Reactions: Pyure

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Any plans for a sphere guide modual? I'd use Open blocks builder guide but they haven't updated to 1.8.9 plus I am finding the new interface that's been added to OB build guide to be cumbersome.
Im opting to use Builders Guides instead as it's purpose built for building. However your mod seems to lack guides for anything that isn't a cuboid. That is if there isn't one in already, or a method of mapping it out already.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ipsis

Jul 29, 2019
Any plans for a sphere guide modual?

My main aim was to complement rather than duplicate the work that Openblocks did, mainly because I know that Boq is updating Openblocks (the git repository has changes in the 1.8.X codebase) so it will be out eventually. I've some thoughts on other cards to add - once I've finished a new mod I'm working on - so I will think about adding some shape cards. My other reason is that involves me thinking about maths .... :(

Reactions: Azzanine

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Pff. Basic maths isn't hard to calculate. I'm sure you can do cool stuff like a torus with a little tinkering.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I wanted to address this

It appears that Minecraft 1.8 is destined to a short life. The first pre-release of Minecraft 1.9 is now available.

https://mojang.com/2016/02/minecraft-19-pre-release-1/

The planned full release date is Thursday, 25th of February 2016.

The first 1.8 version came out on 9/2/14. We now have a stable forge and modders making content 15 months later. Even if 1.9 matures far faster, we still have 6+ months of 1.8 modding before people start transitioning. That's plenty of time for lots of good mod and modpack content.

And even if it's less than that, 1.4.7 and 1.5.2 were only relevant for ~4 months each, and we got plenty done in that time.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
The 1.8 update was an anomaly. Even the 1.2 -> 1.3 didn't take as long, and that was a HUGE rewrite(1.3.1 was released August 1st, 2012, and there were a bunch of mods updated as of the 4th). You can't base your opinion around it.
1.5 I literally remember nothing about, and 1.4.7 was "relevant" for much longer, due to all the FTB packs.

I think that you are vastly overestimating how long it'll take. The Forge team had months and months to look at the 1.9 snapshots, and the release won't be much different. I bet that the CoFH team already has put time into updating to the new model system, and barring any major difficulties (like from the 2 hand feature), they could update within a month or two. It's not like the "hold off til 1.9" crowd is doing NOTHING to be prepared for 1.9.

I'm not saying that 1.8 is bad, but what you are saying is just as bad as the people who think that modding shouldn't move past 1.7. Yes, we'll have some mods released/updated. Every version did. It just won't be played for long, nor really remembered.

Reactions: RedBoss

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
1.8 was an anomaly, but a month or two is still optimistic. It took 244 days to go from 1.7 to 1.7.10. Even if 1.9 doesn't have nearly as many patches, it's still going to be several months until minecraft itself is stable, then a while more before forge is, then more before it starts gaining widespread acceptance.

Yes, 1.8 was overly long, but the trend is very much towards slower updates overall.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
That logic flies in opposition to the whole "going to 1.9.X will be easy since 1.8 was the real work." Why would Forge take this extended period of time? And not for nothing, plenty of mods were available and used in 1.7.2.

Reactions: RenzosNips