Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Apology accepted man.
Though I feel kinda bad about accepting it given I haven't exactly been on my best behaviour either, especially over these last few days I turned into a real monster. Things certainly got out of control, I chose to participate in and exacerbate that- and I said a fair few things that I probably shouldn't have. Things which hurt quite a few people, people who I consider to be friends with, who I have a lot of respect for, or who are just genuinely awesome people to hang out with on here.

Obviously I can't undo time, but simultaneously I feel that deleting my posts would be taking the coward's way out and hiding from the truth. You can't learn from erasing history and pretending it never happened. You have to take it on the chin and move forward even though it hurts a hell of a lot more.
For that reason alone I need to apologise to @Reika @sinkillerj (and by extension the ProjectE dev team) you guys (and girls?) work amazingly hard, and should never have to put up with this, @SynfulChaot @TomeWyrm (I genuinely have a lot of respect for you both), @Vauthil (who I'll miss after retirement) and @Flipz (with that adorable Fluttershy avatar) thank you for being on hand and doing your best to keep it under control, @ljfa @Padfoote @jordsta95 @psp @trajing @Lethosos @ShneekeyTheLost @CoolSquid (who is forever a cool squid) @jordsta95 and the list goes on.
I'm sorry guys. I've screwed up here big time.​

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

While not entirely sure why I was included in that list (as I haven't been involved in the latest debates), again, takes some courage to post something like that in public and I'm impressed.

@CoolSquid you have effectively changed the attitude of this thread with a single post.

Also, pings only work in groups of five. Past that, no one gets pinged. Thank @Gideonseymour for that knowledge, he kept yelling at me for not following it. :p

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Apology accepted man.
Though I feel kinda bad about accepting it given I haven't exactly been on my best behaviour either, especially over these last few days I turned into a real monster. Things certainly got out of control, I chose to participate in and exacerbate that- and I said a fair few things that I probably shouldn't have. Things which hurt quite a few people, people who I consider to be friends with, who I have a lot of respect for, or who are just genuinely awesome people to hang out with on here.

Obviously I can't undo time, but simultaneously I feel that deleting my posts would be taking the coward's way out and hiding from the truth. You can't learn from erasing history and pretending it never happened. You have to take it on the chin and move forward even though it hurts a hell of a lot more.
For that reason alone I need to apologise to @Reika @sinkillerj (and by extension the ProjectE dev team) you guys (and girls?) work amazingly hard, and should never have to put up with this, @SynfulChaot @TomeWyrm (I genuinely have a lot of respect for you both), @Vauthil (who I'll miss after retirement) and @Flipz (with that adorable Fluttershy avatar) thank you for being on hand and doing your best to keep it under control, @ljfa @Padfoote @jordsta95 @psp @trajing @Lethosos @ShneekeyTheLost @CoolSquid (who is forever a cool squid) @jordsta95 and the list goes on.
I'm sorry guys. I've screwed up here big time.​
Hey, that's fine. I prefer to know the downsides of what I have rather than being completely clueless why something happened when it goes bad. :)

Reactions: Padfoote

sinkillerj

Jul 29, 2019
For that reason alone I need to apologise to @Reika @sinkillerj (and by extension the ProjectE dev team) you guys (and girls?) work amazingly hard, and should never have to put up with this

Nothing but love here man, I hope my post in the split topic addressed most of the community concerns. I've tried my hardest to read through every post regarding the matter, but it did get a bit chaotic lol.

The thing about ProjectE is it kinda asks for controversy unfortunately, just like EE2 did. When I took over the mod from Moze who no longer had the time to work on It I knew what I was getting myself into lol.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, this Reika/ProjectE debate (which we are finished with, done, finito) inspired me a bit... I kinda like the idea of users being able to choose what mods can do, as long as it's not against the will of the modder, so I'm working on adding such a feature to SquidUtils.

While you are working on that might I suggest working on cross mod power conversion?
From a certain point of view there is nothing that separates tech and magic packs from one another other than appearance, yes I know there is more to it than that just fallow my line of thought, with the right texture pack tech mods could look like magic mods and magic mods could look like tech.

So imagine packs where you had to power rotary craft systems with flowers, or thaumcraft systems with roterycraft.
It could be very fun with the right sort of development.
I mean I'd actually prefer doing all the complex roterycraft systems to running around hunting nodes and waiting forever and a day for them to combine.
And making tech interfaces/GUI look like they are made of stone and have hexagon shaped item windows icons in a runic font.
It should all be doable. Though much of it would involve the cooperation of the various mod deves.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I might look into that when I've finished this. I doubt Reika would allow this for Rotarycraft power though, and I respect the choices of modders.

I don't know the point was in part to get him to consider powering every other mod using roterycraft. He probably wouldn't have any problem with that. If he liked that idea he really couldn't say no to the opposite. Of coarse configuring other mods to power anything as complex as roterycraft would be a mega pain. So he would probably have little to actually worry about. But it should give him intensive to not complain about any further cross mod interactions. As they can be useful and beneficial if handled correctly.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing but love here man, I hope my post in the split topic addressed most of the community concerns. I've tried my hardest to read through every post regarding the matter, but it did get a bit chaotic lol.

The thing about ProjectE is it kinda asks for controversy unfortunately, just like EE2 did. When I took over the mod from Moze who no longer had the time to work on It I knew what I was getting myself into lol.
JSYK if you ever add support for JordsUtils as long as uberium is weighted against the cost of a diamond or 2, I don't mind what you do with anything, seeing as I recently figured out my only attempt to "balance" the progression system is broken nicely by Mekanism >_>

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I love the new atmosphere in this thread. You're all amazing <3

That sounds like a huge job...

Yup not something I'd want to do. But perhaps in lesser ways. Like only do configs to allow magic to power the simpler machines. Then use the advanced machines to power magic.
Sort of like magic evolving into technology evolving into technology so advanced it's magic.
It could make for a great pack.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
As I head towards retirement here you guys made me concerned and then happy. Here's why:

When I finally said yes to doing moderation here, I established that my goal for the community was that you would be largely self-policing and would toe the line without having to be told to "Be Nice" every page or two of a given discussion. I aimed to cultivate that atmosphere because (a) I'm really, really lazy and don't want to do more work than I have to (b) I wanted this place to continue to be an oasis away from places like MCF and Reddit, where specific "in-crowds" tend to dominate. The only "in-crowd" here ultimately would be people willing to show some restraint and consideration when needed (Sadly, some folks decided they'd rather not and either left or were ejected).

Threads like this one get to stick around despite certain people hating the very concept because it's a "magnet topic" (it draws in a category of possibly problematic discussion) and thus a testing ground for that principle. Given the "wrong" set of people jumping in on the thread and running amok, it could quickly become a hate-on-X club and would require serious hammering. It's a wonderful mousetrap.

I was worried there for a bit, but the clearing point of sticky situations is when parties are willing to back down and apologize. A fair number of times I have let heated arguments go for an extra day or so to see if this happens or if it gets worse. Want to know how you don't end up the subject of a thread like this or the "Stupid things people say" thread, or, perhaps possibly worse, completely banned from forums like these? Learn to show some genuine contrition and swallow your pride. Essentially every non-spam permaban I've issued over the past 20 or so months has been to somebody who was given repeated chances to back down and they doubled down instead. Don't be them and you should be okay.

So, thank you for reaffirming my faith in the community with this, folks. Be nice to the new folks, too, they might not be old battle-axes like me. ;)

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
As I head towards retirement here you guys made me concerned and then happy. Here's why:

When I finally said yes to doing moderation here, I established that my goal for the community was that you would be largely self-policing and would toe the line without having to be told to "Be Nice" every page or two of a given discussion. I aimed to cultivate that atmosphere because (a) I'm really, really lazy and don't want to do more work than I have to (b) I wanted this place to continue to be an oasis away from places like MCF and Reddit, where specific "in-crowds" tend to dominate. The only "in-crowd" here ultimately would be people willing to show some restraint and consideration when needed (Sadly, some folks decided they'd rather not and either left or were ejected).

Threads like this one get to stick around despite certain people hating the very concept because it's a "magnet topic" (it draws in a category of possibly problematic discussion) and thus a testing ground for that principle. Given the "wrong" set of people jumping in on the thread and running amok, it could quickly become a hate-on-X club and would require serious hammering. It's a wonderful mousetrap.

I was worried there for a bit, but the clearing point of sticky situations is when parties are willing to back down and apologize. A fair number of times I have let heated arguments go for an extra day or so to see if this happens or if it gets worse. Want to know how you don't end up the subject of a thread like this or the "Stupid things people say" thread, or, perhaps possibly worse, completely banned from forums like these? Learn to show some genuine contrition and swallow your pride. Essentially every non-spam permaban I've issued over the past 20 or so months has been to somebody who was given repeated chances to back down and they doubled down instead. Don't be them and you should be okay.

So, thank you for reaffirming my faith in the community with this, folks. Be nice to the new folks, too, they might not be old battle-axes like me. ;)
It's a shame to see you go, and if it helps, I reckon you might just have gotten that goal. I'll try to keep all you've said in mind, until the day I leave as well.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

@the_j485 said it well. Farewell moderator who runs with scissors, you will be missed

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yup not something I'd want to do. But perhaps in lesser ways. Like only do configs to allow magic to power the simpler machines. Then use the advanced machines to power magic.
Sort of like magic evolving into technology evolving into technology so advanced it's magic.
It could make for a great pack.
Nice amorphism on Clarke's Law. Could be interesting, particularly if you gate your magic mods to require certain tech to get started in it. That way, you have a progression from pure tech to something more... esoteric.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I don't know the point was in part to get him to consider powering every other mod using roterycraft. He probably wouldn't have any problem with that. If he liked that idea he really couldn't say no to the opposite. Of coarse configuring other mods to power anything as complex as roterycraft would be a mega pain. So he would probably have little to actually worry about. But it should give him intensive to not complain about any further cross mod interactions. As they can be useful and beneficial if handled correctly.
If you want to suggest another converter engine, this is something I am definitely willing to listen to, though a few things like magic power are likely incompatible thematically (how does one make an aspect-powered engine, if RC considers aspects as not existing?). However, your wording makes me think that you are really asking for some third-party converter to make shaft power without the need for RC hardware.

Just because I have no problem with converting my power into other mods' power does not mean I have to simultaneously throw all of RC out of the window and let you freely generate shaft power from RF, mana, EU, aspects, fairy dust or mob gel.
For one, no other mod, aside from GT, is touchy about power gen, and I do make efforts not to unbalance that, having gone to Greg to ensure I would not be breaking his balance when I added EU conversion.
Second, every other power system has 50 mods making its power, making adding one more rather inconsequential. The number of people not using RC for making RF or EU, because of the increased cost and difficultly, can attest to that.

I also am very concerned given the larger context and some of your wording, as it to me means "Reika is going to go along with mod interactions now, so we can do whatever we want to RC, and he has no right to complain". Even most of the people on the other thread who disagreed with me, people like TomeWyrm and SynfulChaot, agreed that deliberately going and subverting my mod is in essence giving me the finger.

No, I am not going to allow that, and I have no patience for arguments like this:
All I got to say is Reika needs to take the bug up his ass about progression out and let people play the mod the way they want to, otherwise he should force himself through the power of sheer will and screaming through people's monitors, slap the controls out of their hands and just play the game for them.

I believe you were around - and people like Padfoote, Pyure, ljfa, leldra, and Demosthenex certainly were - to see the un-tiered magnetostatics, and how badly they broke RC. Not only did 95% of people not touch anything else, but they more than anything else - forget Minetweaker, project E, MooFluids or Bees - made RC horrifically unbalanced, and it (and many people) suffered as a result. Asking for free conversion will bring all of that back.

It will also see RC lose its identity. If you can just make shaft power from some other system, and you lose the need for the gearboxes, the power matching, and the rest of the powertrain design - which you will, because otherwise the alternative is setting up RC-based tiering again - RC will become over time just another "hook up the conduits" mod.

Now, I may have misinterpreted you, and this may not actually be your intention. I do hope that is the case, because otherwise it feels like the fundamentals of RC are now in jeopardy, as the community feels like it grows increasingly hostile to tiered mods like mine and GT.

Last edited:
Reactions: ljfa

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I believe you were around - and people like Padfoote, Pyure, ljfa, leldra, and Demosthenex certainly were - to see the un-tiered magnetostatics, and how badly they broke RC. Not only did 95% of people not touch anything else, but they more than anything else - forget Minetweaker, project E, MooFluids or Bees - made RC horrifically unbalanced, and it (and many people) suffered as a result. Asking for free conversion will bring all of that back.

I was around for that. It wasn't fun explaining to someone everyday why they could power everything with a magnetostatic.