Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly is he on about? Is he on about the fact that blocks can no longer be see through unless the block is a see through block (e.g. glass)
From what i can gather, the new system which enables custom models for blocks and such is formatted in such a long winded and ludicrous way that anyone adding lots and lots of slightly different blocks/models is going to be doing an insane amount of copy/pasting, not only for every block, but every state of every block. So things like carpenters blocks quickly stacks up the number of definitions.
It's also more limited than coding in mainly that (by the sounds of it), the model to be rendered is selected based on 'states' rather than being able to be edited and controlled on-the-fly by code. Stuff like the animating buildcraft engines would be difficult.

This is just what I can gather from DMiller's tweets, and an understanding of coding.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
From what i can gather, the new system which enables custom models for blocks and such is formatted in such a long winded and ludicrous way that anyone adding lots and lots of slightly different blocks/models is going to be doing an insane amount of copy/pasting, not only for every block, but every state of every block. So things like carpenters blocks quickly stacks up the number of definitions.
It's also more limited than coding in mainly that (by the sounds of it), the model to be rendered is selected based on 'states' rather than being able to be edited and controlled on-the-fly by code. Stuff like the animating buildcraft engines would be difficult.

This is just what I can gather from DMiller's tweets, and an understanding of coding.
Damn, Mojang really know how to kill off a community then. Seeing as if that is the case many modders won't update their mods, and many people who play modded minecraft will either stick playing 1.7, or will give up with minecraft as a lot of people don't really play vanilla after playing modded

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
This is kind of what my worst fears would be based on the bits I saw coming in from DinnerBone months ago. Without some major support on the Forge side, I don't see how I'd carry something like Garden Stuff/Modular Flower Pots forward to 1.8.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
This is kind of what my worst fears would be based on the bits I saw coming in from DinnerBone months ago. Without some major support on the Forge side, I don't see how I'd carry something like Garden Stuff/Modular Flower Pots forward to 1.8.
You never know, Forge may basically go "screw the 1.8 code, we're gonna overwrite EVERYTHING and make it 1.7.11 code"

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yep, screw 1.8 for modded content. What does it really offer? Nothing much. Stick with 1.7.10 and get it working perfectly, give modders the chance to work on their ideas, instead of the race to keep up with minecraft versions.

It's also like their "3d textures" (such a poor description), gah! Ugly, kills resource packs and adventure maps with themed textures. First mod in 1.8 that I would want is one to revert these new "improved" modelled blocks back to their original cubes and planes.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, screw 1.8 for modded content. What does it really offer? Nothing much. Stick with 1.7.10 and get it working perfectly, give modders the chance to work on their ideas, instead of the race to keep up with minecraft versions.

It's also like their "3d textures" (such a poor description), gah! Ugly, kills resource packs and adventure maps with themed textures. First mod in 1.8 that I would want is one to revert these new "improved" modelled blocks back to their original cubes and planes.
It offers stuff to the vMC fans that we got versions earlier.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The models are cool, and shouldn't be removed. But all the changes in 1.8 sorta seem to screw over everyone

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I quite honestly never tried 1.8 because I never had a need to, so I don't know if it causes FPS loss or gain.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

I agree with this with more than a simple like.

Dev time is a precious, finite resource- modders only have so many hours to work on their game.
Its almost a crime waste it rebuilding the entire mod again and again.
Saying 'yes' to updating means saying 'no' to a lot of new content.

Last edited:

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Well, 1.7 and 1.8, to say the least, are filled with drama.

Remember back in 1.6.4, when there was no dra- wait. No. Even further.
Remember back in 1.5.2, when there was no dra- wait. Looks like we have a very troubled history.
Remember back in 1.4.7, when there was no dra- wait. Seriously, do we do nothing but make drama?
We have to skip 1.3, because everything took so long to update that by the time it came, it was already 1.4.
Hrm. We're back in what some call a golden age of modding, 1.2.5. Wow. Some drama here.

We've spent almost as much of our time making drama as we have making mods and packs. Video games are where I go to escape drama, but it's impossible to leave it here. We've made drama left and right for years on end. I know, I've contributed to this too. But right now, sitting here, looking at us complaining about 1.8, I thought about it. I thought about how just a few days before, we were complaining about 1.7. And before that, something was up in 1.6. No matter how far back we take our Time Machine, there's always been drama.

We can ride our TARDIS back to our golden ages, of 1.6 and 1.2, or get Q to send us back to 1.4, but we'll always end up landing in the middle of some drama or another. So sitting here now, I thought about how modded Minecraft and Drama have always gone hand-in-hand, mano en mano, main dans la main.

And then I stopped. This drama wasn't limited to Minecraft. Look at the stuff going on recently, the GamerGate stuff I haven't even tried to understand. The 4chan explosion that I'm not even sure what happened. There's drama everywhere we look. The Internet isn't a place to escape drama. It's a place where drama happens. We always proclaim that we don't want the drama, yet we cause it ourselves. I'm a culprit too.

We live in a place of drama.

And I have absolutely no idea why I wrote this or where I planned to go with it.