Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That doesn't have to be positive. Anyone remembering the racist website I told about? Children can easily get bad thoughts if they are visiting places like that. Objective information is good, but parents should always be controlling what information young children gets access to.
Someone had less controlling and more open-minded parents than I did. :p

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Mine was probably a HELL of a lot more free with my information access and such than yours, and I still agree with you on the topic of technology being a good thing when involved with children.

I see plenty of examples of it being bad, and as far as I've noticed, without fail? Those are the stories of parents that expect technology to raise their children FOR them. That's not even remotely the same thing as allowing kids to entertain themselves with video games or the internet. There are obviously limits that should be set at some point, but being an overbearing control freak is a great way to be the kind of parent that produces the kind of children that grow into the kind of people that I don't enjoy sharing a planet with.

Also @CoolSquid and @1SDAN I'm going to have to strongly disagree with parental control of information. Or ANY control on learning at all. If someone wants to learn something, and you caution them against it, and they STILL want to learn? They should be able to. People don't give children nearly enough credit on their resiliency to "shocking" topics, nor their capacity for information processing. If they actually want to learn something, you don't have to talk dumb, lie, or beat around the bush. Just don't use jargon and you'll be amazed at the level of understanding you can instill in children. I know some pre-school aged children that know more about basic science topics (and can hold an actual intelligent, if simplified, conversation on the subjects) than people I know in their twenties and thirties. I taught a "regular" 6 year old how to do (simple) algebra. All you need to do is teach a child basic critical thinking skills, and then let them loose. Discuss with them like actual human beings and you might actually learn something new. Kids are voracious information sinks if you let them be, and can handle basically any topic in my experience.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Mine was probably a HELL of a lot more free with my information access and such than yours, and I still agree with you on the topic of technology being a good thing when involved with children.
Let's just say that until I turned 21, I thought it was normal for one parent to ground the other and was told until 18 or so that a party was where people went and did drugs. The first time I was allowed to stay home alone was when I was 16, during which they called home seven times in three hours.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
I surely have (I'm just 14). I don't think they even know anything of what I'm using the Internet for. My computer is my place, and they can just stay away. The only negative effect is that I can't do anything that includes money, like having a Patreon or using Curse's point system.
Let's just say that until I turned 21, I thought it was normal for one parent to ground the other and was told until 18 or so that a party was where people went and did drugs. The first time I was allowed to stay home alone was when I was 16, during which they called home seven times in three hours.
Uhm... I don't think even NSA is that controlling...

@TomeWyrm, the kids where you live must be smarter than the ones here.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019

I see plenty of examples of it being bad, and as far as I've noticed, without fail? Those are the stories of parents that expect technology to raise their children FOR them. That's not even remotely the same thing as allowing kids to entertain themselves with video games or the internet. There are obviously limits that should be set at some point, but being an overbearing control freak is a great way to be the kind of parent that produces the kind of children that grow into the kind of people that I don't enjoy sharing a planet with.

Also @CoolSquid and @1SDAN I'm going to have to strongly disagree with parental control of information. Or ANY control on learning at all. If someone wants to learn something, and you caution them against it, and they STILL want to learn? They should be able to. People don't give children nearly enough credit on their resiliency to "shocking" topics, nor their capacity for information processing. If they actually want to learn something, you don't have to talk dumb, lie, or beat around the bush. Just don't use jargon and you'll be amazed at the level of understanding you can instill in children. I know some pre-school aged children that know more about basic science topics (and can hold an actual intelligent, if simplified, conversation on the subjects) than people I know in their twenties and thirties. I taught a "regular" 6 year old how to do (simple) algebra. All you need to do is teach a child basic critical thinking skills, and then let them loose. Discuss with them like actual human beings and you might actually learn something new. Kids are voracious information sinks if you let them be, and can handle basically any topic in my experience.
Good luck trying that around here. The government is trying to drop science and history from the curriculum. Not even kidding.

Reactions: 1SDAN

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

That's basically what my parents did: they taught me to think rationally and didn't beat around the bush when I came to them with questions. They did make it age-appropriate, of course, which I do think is important. That said, by the time they're in 2nd or 3rd grade, most kids are exposed to almost all the "bad stuff" more protective parents try to keep them away from. I won't use my personal experience as a baseline, mostly because I was exposed to Cheech and Chong, as well as Beavis and Butt-Head, at an early age, but kids aren't gonna be terribly harmed by broaching certain...topics when they start to make their metamorphosis into even less controllable douchebags adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.