Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Oh definitely.

Though going to the "official" location isn't much better anymore. Even with the number of modders that use curseforge (which I really hope keeps going up), a large number of mods have dev builds from Jenkins which everyone and their dog are using (IC2 started it, I swear. That was so annoying back when EXP was released in 1.4.7-ish as all the addons started to migrate... wait they FINALLY updated the wiki and such?! Holy crap, I literally do not believe it.)

I think half my 200 mods are downloaded from curse and then a quarter from someone's jenkins or github, heck a couple are custom (non-distributed, I'm not a jerk) builds from edited source code because reasons.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
His wording "but it makes a difference" to me implies he wishes it was free....
To be fair, the problem is probably not the $6, I'm pretty sure he has this in his pocket.
Actually paying this might state a problem for an underage, as online playent often requires you to be an adult.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm underage, but I can still buy whatever I want. Expecting everything to be free is just stupid.
Or just get parents to do it if you are that young...

To be fair, the problem is probably not the $6, I'm pretty sure he has this in his pocket.
This is possibly true, but it then shifts his meaning from "$6 is too much, I can't afford it" to "making me pay for a game is [morally/legally] wrong", which is an opinion I see a great deal.

Reactions: 1SDAN and ljfa

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Expecting everything to be free is just stupid.
This is possibly true, but it then shifts his meaning from "$6 is too much, I can't afford it" to "making me pay for a game is [morally/legally] wrong", which is an opinion I see a great deal.
Expecting it to be free is of course wrong. I'm just saying that parents won't always approve, which is good.

Reactions: PierceSG

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm just saying that parents won't always approve, which is good.
For a $6 game, they better have a good reason, because unwillingness to spend that amount of money on an entertainment object for a child - especially one which provides as much entertainment as a game like Minecraft does - is rather hard to justify, and the most common non-monetary objections I can think of ("we don't let our kid play games") are not good parenting.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The technological nanny is how I grew up thank you very much. As long as that's not the ONLY thing that's raising your child, and they're not an extrovert? Electronics are perfectly fine ways to distract children for periods of time, without having to worry about them physically hurting themselves, and having them stay in one general area not getting into things you might not want them to. It allows a parent (or parents) to get a break without having to go on "date night".

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
The technological nanny is how I grew up thank you very much. As long as that's not the ONLY thing that's raising your child, and they're not an extrovert? Electronics are perfectly fine ways to distract children for periods of time, without having to worry about them physically hurting themselves, and having them stay in one general area not getting into things you might not want them to. It allows a parent (or parents) to get a break without having to go on "date night".
You know, both parents and children did survive before technology too :p

Reactions: PierceSG and 1SDAN

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
And it also helps limit the controlling influence of parents when it comes to things like information...

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
And it also helps limit the controlling influence of parents when it comes to things like information...
That doesn't have to be positive. Anyone remembering the racist website I told about? Children can easily get bad thoughts if they are visiting places like that. Objective information is good, but parents should always be controlling what information young children gets access to.

Reactions: 1SDAN
Status
Not open for further replies.