Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps I can make the file edit done serverside (if Google sites allows me to encode such a thing into a link)?

I was hoping to go for the former, but I doubt that sort of data gets encoded anywhere. Another idea is a file hash, but that does not solve the problem if they ship the original file unmodified (even though they do often add spyware and other malware).
I was thinking of a system where the mod generates a hidden file inside it's jar on the first run, containing some kinda identifier. Then the mod would crash if wrong computer was used. The problem is that those websites probably doesn't even run the files before mirroring them. About the file hash, I like the idea.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That also breaks the ability to make modpacks.
I was just about to post this

I am against these illegal sites but I'm not sure if this kind of DRM brings you anywhere. People will probably complain that your mods aren't working. And keep in mind that many users are kinda allergic to DRM.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
I am against these illegal sites but I'm not sure if this kind of DRM brings you anywhere. People will probably complain that your mods aren't working. And keep in mind that many users are kinda allergic to DRM.
No way... I got my mods stamped as "anti Technic" in NEM, linking to an already deleted file at GitHub.

Reactions: 1SDAN

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I'm all for DRM as long as it doesn't overly inconvenience players using legit copies of the game.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one around here who is kinda worried about what you guys are hatching up here?
I don't want you to install some kind of rootkit into your users' systems like Sony used to do

Reactions: Eruantien and 1SDAN

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Am I the only one around here who is kinda worried about what you guys are hatching up here?
I don't want you to install some kind of rootkit into your users' systems like Sony used to do
If it can never cause problems for legitimate users, and never accesses data beyond that which is accessible from within the mod jar itself, there is nothing to be afraid of. So far, no solution yet meets the criteria, and it may not be possible, but if it is, there is no reason to lump it in with rootkits or the more egregious examples of draconian DRM.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
The next feature of SquidUtils will allow modpackers to install rootkits into the system. :p

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I really don't like PETA. But at least they had a good idea.

...Still confused as to why they haven't attacked Pikmin or Mario yet
They did attack Mario, specifically Super Mario 3D Land. They said Mario was ripping the skin from innocent creatures and wearing it as a trophy...
People
Excessively
Talking
Atrocities.

Equitime

Jul 29, 2019
Would somebody be so kind to show me where the server download is for DW20 1.7.10 1.0.3? It's not listed on the feed-the-beast.com server download section and after looking through DireWolf's, the FTB Dev Team's &amp; a few other twitters I see plenty of mentions of its availability but no links as to where to actually download it. I may be missing something obvious but I'd really appreciate some help as I'd really like to get the fixes mentioned in the changelog applied to my server. Thanks much :)<br/>

Sorry had to put this here. How can he miss the great big download server button. Where did he get it from to put on his server on the first place? Oh well... (copied from the direwolf thread)

Reactions: pc_assassin

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Would somebody be so kind to show me where the server download is for DW20 1.7.10 1.0.3? It's not listed on the feed-the-beast.com server download section and after looking through DireWolf's, the FTB Dev Team's &amp; a few other twitters I see plenty of mentions of its availability but no links as to where to actually download it. I may be missing something obvious but I'd really appreciate some help as I'd really like to get the fixes mentioned in the changelog applied to my server. Thanks much :)<br/>

Sorry had to put this here. How can he miss the great big download server button. Where did he get it from to put on his server on the first place? Oh well... (copied from the direwolf thread)
You do realise you can quote across threads right? Also I wouldn't call that idiotic, it is easy to miss things sometimes.

VictiniX888

Jul 29, 2019
@coolsquid321 9minecraft, apparently, did not remove your mod(s) from their site. They only removed the page "introducing" the mod, but the download(s) are still there. Poked around a bit and managed to find the download links (tested, working when I posted this)

FighterMobs
http://www.dl4.9minecraft.net/index.php?act=dl&id=1419678763
http://www.dl3.9minecraft.net/index.php?act=dl&id=1419706328
http://www.dl4.9minecraft.net/index.php?act=dl&id=1419678804
http://www.dl3.9minecraft.net/index.php?act=dl&id=1419706379
SquidUtils
http://www.dl4.9minecraft.net/index.php?act=dl&id=1419678827
http://www.dl3.9minecraft.net/index.php?act=dl&id=1419706407

You should probably tell them to get rid of those...

Last edited:

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Just make a program that automatically checks if your request has been followed. If not, it sends another email about the problem.

Every day.

For each download.

Sure you might start burning through G-Mail accounts, but it's not like you have to pay for them.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Just make a program that automatically checks if your request has been followed. If not, it sends another email about the problem.

Every day.

For each download.

Sure you might start burning through G-Mail accounts, but it's not like you have to pay for them.
The problem is that the host is from Vietnam. Vietnam doesn't follow international copyright, and the host can just ignore my requests.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that the host is from Vietnam. Vietnam doesn't follow international copyright, and the host can just ignore my requests.
That's a shame. It's probably tilting at windmills. You see how long The Pirate Bay has been up and running.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
That's a shame. It's probably tilting at windmills. You see how long The Pirate Bay has been up and running.
Another website is drifting their servers themselves, and NO WAY I'm giving them my name and other private information.

Status
Not open for further replies.