Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Filing a DMCA requires using one's real identity, not an option open to me.
However, I had an idea: Is it possible to make a file "know" where it was downloaded from/perform some action in a file on download?
You could possibly check the browser download log. We could send 9minecraft some *interesting* files though...
And I got 20+ likes for calling them stupid. :p
I know. I've tracked down 90% of the posts from your forum thread. :p

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just use Java? Go with the game's native language...I'm assuming that's why most Minecraft utilities are written in Java. Except MultiMC. That's made in wonderful, tasty C++.

Though, if we're going with joke suggestions, I suggest we use C++. That will scare enough cowards away that only REAL MEN (TM) will be making said GUIs.
I was talking about how we could be laughing at javascript and all that jazz. Not about the GUIs :p

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Filing a DMCA requires using one's real identity, not an option open to me.
However, I had an idea: Is it possible to make a file "know" where it was downloaded from/perform some action in a file on download?
Probably...I mean their must be information that got stored, but it would be on the home computer and probably very hard to find/decode

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Saving the downloads.

We might be talking about different things. What I mean is: if a mod just for "protection" purposes (DRM much?) or the like reads my browser history, or really anything outside of /minecraft/, no code from that developer will ever run on my systems again.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
We might be talking about different things. What I mean is: if a mod just for "protection" purposes (DRM much?) or the like reads my browser history, or really anything outside of /minecraft/, no code from that developer will ever run on my systems again.
As I said, I won't implement it. By the way, I support DRM to some degree (prevent illegal redistribution), even in mods. I don't support working outside the Minecraft folder though (that's why I won't implement it).

Reactions: 1SDAN

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
9minecraft's ToS said:
3.Our Softwares

Our softwares are owned by 9Minecraft.Net copyrighted and are the property of 9Minecraft.Net. Our softwares have been created to be used on playful purposes. 9Minecraft.Net is not responsible if you use our softwares in another purpose. The use of our softwares in other purposes, which are not the ones that our softwares have been made, is at the own responsibility of the user. All our softwares are free, but we will not be responsible for selling illegally purchase of our software online. When downloading our software, we are not by responsible for your problems and must be used at your own risk.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

Now, that's a fascinating idea. It'd probably throw up red flags for every anti-virus made, though, since to do the latter, you'd basically need to emulate the behaviour of auto-executing malware. It probably requires writing the code in such a way that it fools the target OS into thinking its something that needs to be executed right now. How you'd do that, though, is far beyond my talents.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
I made a list of those websites.
Now, that's a fascinating idea. It'd probably throw up red flags for every anti-virus made, though, since to do the latter, you'd basically need to emulate the behaviour of auto-executing malware. It probably requires writing the code in such a way that it fools the target OS into thinking its something that needs to be executed right now. How you'd do that, though, is far beyond my talents.
Far beyond mine too :(.

Reactions: VictiniX888

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Perhaps I can make the file edit done serverside (if Google sites allows me to encode such a thing into a link)?

I was hoping to go for the former, but I doubt that sort of data gets encoded anywhere. Another idea is a file hash, but that does not solve the problem if they ship the original file unmodified (even though they do often add spyware and other malware).

Status
Not open for further replies.