Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
That is pretty much exactly what you are saying though. You are saying that creating things in game with tools given in game is creating a mod. By that logic building a house is a mod, and it is not.

...what?
No! That's not what I'm saying, because building a house adds a house to the game, while building a system of improved potion mechanics adds IMPROVED POTION MECHANICS.

And what I meant was, making a hoverboard out of a laptop without opening it is like adding rare-spawn fire snakes to a blocky game without coding.

Since you want to get into the deep semantics, we can. What is the meaning of "modification", it's a change. So, under this definition, both mods and "vanilla mods" would be modifications, as they change something. The issue lies with the extent of such changes, and how having such a loose definition of what a mod actually is can cause problems for everyone. You are arguing that a "vanilla mod" is a mod, because it can change the way the game works, through in game content. While that is true, something like a house, a renamed item, anything that involves user input could also constitute as a mod, under this broad definition. The issue I have with the term "Vanilla mod" is that it serves to obscure the line between what a software mod is, and what an in-game creation is. That being said, I do think that these in game contraptions are special enough to deserve their own name.

I don't think many will agree with what I am about to say, however there is a term which people normally use in regards to evolution, which can be used to describe a "Vanilla mod". The term I am referring to is Exaptation which means "The utilization of a structure of feature for a function other than that which it was developed for through natural selection.". As I said, this is a term used to describe biological evolution, but I feel it would be perfectly reasonable to use an adaptation of this meaning to refer to a "vanilla mod". For example, command blocks and armor stands are being used in a way which was not specifically intended when they were first implemented into the game. Through creativity, individuals within the community have managed to push these features beyond what was imagined, however they have not been pushed to the extent that they would be considered an actual adaptation.
This, though, is where the argument lies, for "the extent that they would be considered an actual adaptation" is a matter of opinion. A part of me thinks it's just a few modders saying "Wait... I took all this time to code this thing... and people can make something better WITHOUT coding!? I refuse to accept it! Internet person powers activate! Curse, insult, flame, do whatever it takes to make the other person back down!" This is why I'm also trying to push that vanilla mods can never be as good as other mods. But they still count.

Also, I call them "vmods", which some people think of as "vanilla mod" and others think of as "virtual mod". I think it would be in your best interests to choose the latter.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
No! That's not what I'm saying, because building a house adds a house to the game, while building a system of improved potion mechanics adds IMPROVED POTION MECHANICS.

And making a house adds a system of protection from mobs. Your argument here hinges on a definition which when applied to all things causes your argument to fall apart. Choosing what this definition gets applied to shows the fault in it which is exactly what I have been doing since I got involved in this debate.
A part of me thinks it's just a few modders saying "Wait... I took all this time to code this thing... and people can make something better WITHOUT coding!? I refuse to accept it! Internet person powers activate! Curse, insult, flame, do whatever it takes to make the other person back down!" This is why I'm also trying to push that vanilla mods can never be as good as other mods. But they still count.

No, it's not modders, it's people like myself who have been modding multiple games for years. There is no flaming, there is no cursing, there is no insulting. There is simply providing reasons for why using in game mechanics and resources is not modding.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
And making a house adds a system of protection from mobs. Your argument here hinges on a definition which when applied to all things causes your argument to fall apart. Choosing what this definition gets applied to shows the fault in it which is exactly what I have been doing since I got involved in this debate.

No, it's not modders, it's people like myself who have been modding multiple games for years. There is no flaming, there is no cursing, there is no insulting. There is simply providing reasons for why using in game mechanics and resources is not modding.

That... that's actually a good argument XD. Though it's not really a system, but more like a wall. A system would be different and dynamic, and a house wouldn't be a system unless, like, it was made with pistons and detections and deathtraps and such. (Also, if there was a way to add it to any house, I would consider that a vmod)

I wasn't speaking of you guys specifically. I've met many modders (and yes, people who mod games count as modders [duh]) who have decided that vmods are stupid and are worthless and can't do anything because they're not normal mods. The people on this thread are actually some of the more soft-spoken of the anti-vmod people I've met.

Reactions: Darkhax

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That... that's actually a good argument XD. Though it's not really a system, but more like a wall. A system would be different and dynamic, and a house wouldn't be a system unless, like, it was made with pistons and detections and deathtraps and such. (Also, if there was a way to add it to any house, I would consider that a vmod)
It's what we've been saying this whole time :p

You could make any system dynamic...you could even design MC in MC with redstone :p
I wasn't speaking of you guys specifically. I've met many modders (and yes, people who mod games count as modders [duh]) who have decided that vmods are stupid and are worthless and can't do anything because they're not normal mods. The people on this thread are actually some of the more soft-spoken of the anti-vmod people I've met.
They can do a ton of things, look at all the awesome vmaps and minigames

Reactions: Darkhax

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I can easily wire a few pistons on any house I make to close a door / open a pit of death. That doesn't make it a mod, that makes it a system I created in game using mechanics at hand. Nothing had to be added, meaning it does not qualify to be a mod.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. But this is the first day, let's see if this works better later. Also are you blocking the people that are doing this stuff? Because when YOU do it, they can't touch the issue tracker anymore.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
No, but I do have an interest in nuclear physics (and would have taken courses in it during undergrad if I could) and would like working on nuclear rockets. :p
I need a rocket scientist for... purposes... Would you be interested? Working for a child is the goal of everyone's lives, right? :p

W

Wolfcraftian

It's a stupid thing to say sure, asking someone else to take over someones project (though you aren't so special as to be the only person in history it happens to, just look a recent entertainment history, people demanding Sue Perkins doesn't work for Top Gear or The Director who is taking on sexist hiring policies and changing a comedy to a horror be removed from Ghostbusters, both experiencing far worse then just asking to be replaced at that).

Resolution, don't use the mod, any of your mods, even by saying he wants to use it he's claiming it's actually a good product, destroying any valid point he makes in the first place...so yeah completely idiotic and so completely easily dismissable.

And seriously, truth and actually stupid quotes are now "inappropriate", ah to be in the protected circle, where you can pretend to care about certain things but deny truth with such adversity, and quote meaningless empty words from vile bigots who do so for their own profit as if they are holy beings. (Several pages of "what is a mod?" is fine though in spite of the title...hahahahahaha)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.