Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'm such a witch hunter, hm? I wasn't even home when the "witch hunt" started.

I was on the train getting half-crushed. :p

And I was peacefully watching the train crash in real time! ...I have too much free time

...what? What are we talking about at this point?
I agree with WitherBlaster... what? Also, CoolSquid, your link to Fireball's twitter on the previous page is broken, which probably explains my confusion.

I'm guessing something related to some server blew up, the server was taken down, and the powers that be decided that the whole debacle should be deleted from history. Is this close?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with WitherBlaster... what? Also, CoolSquid, your link to Fireball's twitter on the previous page is broken, which probably explains my confusion.

I'm guessing something related to some server blew up, the server was taken down, and the powers that be decided that the whole debacle should be deleted from history. Is this close?
There's a summary of the linked drama bomb on reddit, but yes, the gist is that a particular server owner thinks it's an amazing idea to charge up the wazoo for mod items on challenge pack servers. The linked twitter post was a screenshot of Fireball being essentially flipped off by said server owner with cackling re: making money hand over fist from these mod items. Fireball seems to have since removed the tweet, but drama bomb fallout doesn't vanish that easily.

Needless to say, regardless of what's legal or even moral, speech usually has its own consequences anyway. This thread (when it isn't being derailed with inane image macro posts, ahem) serves to demonstrate this principle early and often, I think.

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
I think people should be allowed to support who and what they like for any reason, just don't cry when you get repercussions from said decisions of support or non-support.
If I really wanted to, I could probably come with several situations where that would be the worst thing that could happen. Buuuuuut I'm too lazy to put in the effort. As per the usual.

Reactions: 1SDAN

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019

Fireball tweeted this screenshot from a convo with the Endercraft owner:
OvAr61J.jpg

Reactions: PierceSG and 1SDAN

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Personally that's my issue with Fireball's handling of this subject: He only gets HIS stuff off these servers, and then stops. I mean I get that it's all he really has the legal right to complain about, but you're already yelling at a server for breaking YOUR terms, why stop when you're making headway?

Reactions: ljfa and 1SDAN

Moridin

Jul 29, 2019
Personally that's my issue with Fireball's handling of this subject: He only gets HIS stuff off these servers, and then stops. I mean I get that it's all he really has the legal right to complain about, but you're already yelling at a server for breaking YOUR terms, why stop when you're making headway?
I can only assume that he may feel that he'd be stepping on others' toes if he started yelling for them as well.

*shrug*

And people wonder why I don't bother with public servers. I'd rather have a small server for me and my friends that I know is being run correctly than deal with the headache that is trying to play on a public Modded server. But maybe that's just me.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Same here. I've played on public servers, and it's fun to meet new people, but there's always a distinct disappointment that they're not playing with all the mods I like, or they include one I don't, or the config settings are a bit off. I got spoiled by having (almost) complete control over my play experience.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
From a legal standpoint, that is really all he can do. He doesn't hold any claims to other mods, so his request to take down other content would be meaningless, and dilute the intent.

Besides, the way that he is going about it is actually quite successful. He lets the other side make an ass of them self, calls them on it publicly, and then lets the monster that is the MC community ruin the offending party's reputation, which in turn causes the shutdown of the entire network. All in all, pretty efficient, considering how little he actually has to do.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
He lets the other side make an ass of them self, calls them on it publicly, and then lets the monster that is the MC community ruin the offending party's reputation, which in turn causes the shutdown of the entire network. All in all, pretty efficient, considering how little he actually has to do.

Thats actually quite scary considering how little is needed to start a vigilante motion within the community. We're volatile and destructive enough as it is without someone rallying up an angry mob to get things done.
Its only a small slip from doing the ''right thing'' to doing the ''community/someones interest portrayed as the right thing.''

Not- in any way- saying what the server did was right, rather that end was reached via an incredibly dangerous means which could easily get out of control, or be intentionally driven to suit a less savoury end.

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
Not- in any way- saying what the server did was right, rather that end was reached via an incredibly dangerous means which could easily get out of control, or be intentionally driven to suit a less savoury end.
This reminds me of a certain moment in a certain book in a certain series...

Status
Not open for further replies.