Reactorcraft help

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So, this mod is in Monster.

Other than the proclamation that Reactorcraft is super realistic, this mod has even less out-of-game explanations and tutorials than Rotarycraft. And, unlike RC, not even an explanatory book.

I have chests filled with varying coloured dusts - does anyone have any idea what to do with them?

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
There are 2 or 3 tutorial videos in Reika's s thread over at the MCF. Other than that there's not much documentation yet as Reika wants to finish the mod first before creating the ingame book thus saving time due to only having to write it once.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I found videos just poking around youtube once; my takeaway was that it was a) cool, and b) probably laggy. If I recall right it actually depends on steam blocks floating around by the scores, which I can't imagine is awesome for my fps. Buuuuuut who knows.

PS I far prefer video to written (Edited: written IN-GAME) tutorials so long as the person properly skips the recipes (why on earth do folk insist on showing me recipes).

Well-written wikis on the other hand rule all.

Reactions: kaovalin

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
BigReactors (as of 1.0.3) doesn't check OpenGL caps before using features that are not available (for. eg. on ATi mobile chipsets). So I removed it from my Monster as the resulting OpenGL error spam kills the framerate and makes the game unplayable from an (AMD based) Laptop.
If this problem is resolved I may just add it back.

But really, at this time, I am trying to explore Reika's mods.

Last edited:

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Danilus (YouTube channel) has made the only real ReactorCraft guide. I suspect the "you need to understand basic nuclear physics" is turning many people away.
It's probably that, yes. But hey, it's your mod :p

I personally love it <3

databeast

Jul 29, 2019
I play FTB largely because of ComputerCraft and Openperipherals, and have enjoyed the hell out of BigReactor's addition of computercraft support recently. Which is my roundabout way of implying that ReactorCraft looks like it's even more suited for some computercraft love further down your roadmap. I love the general feel of the mod so far (though like everyone else, it's a matter of trial and error for me, getting things working with each of your updates). But of all the mods out there that just begs to have a computercraft network snaking through it and interfacing with all the separate components, ReactorCraft seems to be that one!. (And I like the idea of having multiple components to have to wrap to and cross-check with code).

Very much looking forward to ReactorCraft evolving to the point where it can occupy the "Massive Centralized Power System" role for my server's players that Gregtech's Fusion Reactor previously did - especially because your focus seems to be on complexity of ongoing operation, not difficulty of initial build.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I play FTB largely because of ComputerCraft and Openperipherals, and have enjoyed the hell out of BigReactor's addition of computercraft support recently. Which is my roundabout way of implying that ReactorCraft looks like it's even more suited for some computercraft love further down your roadmap. I love the general feel of the mod so far (though like everyone else, it's a matter of trial and error for me, getting things working with each of your updates). But of all the mods out there that just begs to have a computercraft network snaking through it and interfacing with all the separate components, ReactorCraft seems to be that one!. (And I like the idea of having multiple components to have to wrap to and cross-check with code).

Very much looking forward to ReactorCraft evolving to the point where it can occupy the "Massive Centralized Power System" role for my server's players that Gregtech's Fusion Reactor previously did - especially because your focus seems to be on complexity of ongoing operation, not difficulty of initial build.
As far as I know, ComputerCraft interfacing cannot be done on my end, and not just because I cannot code well in Lua.

databeast

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say "glad to help", but it's the least I can do. rotarycraft on github has been one of my major reference points in getting started on getting my own mod ideas realized (granted, I just finally sat down to get started about a week ago so I'm barely beyond the concept stage, aaaand I'm more of a Python/C# guy so I've gotta re-learn all the Java I've forgotten too).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'd say "glad to help", but it's the least I can do. rotarycraft on github has been one of my major reference points in getting started on getting my own mod ideas realized (granted, I just finally sat down to get started about a week ago so I'm barely beyond the concept stage, aaaand I'm more of a Python/C# guy so I've gotta re-learn all the Java I've forgotten too).
Where do I find the CC api? I look up "ComputerCraft API" and all I get is pages upon pages of user-written ingame programs.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reading through the CC javadoc, it repeatedly warns the following: "Be aware that this will be called from the ComputerCraft Lua thread, and must be thread-safe when interacting with minecraft objects."

How can I guarantee that anything is thread safe? I only plan to provide read access, but can I even read the contents of ItemStack[] arrays, or IFluidTanks, or HashMaps from a thread that is not the MC simulation thread?

databeast

Jul 29, 2019
now that's something I'm too much of a newb for MC/Forge stuff to know the details of. I've done plenty of multithreaded code, and I know how to ensure that *my* code is thread-safe (maintaining atomic locks on items that will cause issues from simultaneous modification).. but I don't know what those are as far as Forge goes. My short and dirty answer is to lock all resources that a function exposed to CC will access, but I have no practical experience on how that works in practice.[DOUBLEPOST=1391837039][/DOUBLEPOST]more specifically.. I have no idea how other resources will react when trying to access a thread-locked variable, etc. refer to earlier, JVM isn't my favored bytecode engine.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
now that's something I'm too much of a newb for MC/Forge stuff to know the details of. I've done plenty of multithreaded code, and I know how to ensure that *my* code is thread-safe (maintaining atomic locks on items that will cause issues from simultaneous modification).. but I don't know what those are as far as Forge goes. My short and dirty answer is to lock all resources that a function exposed to CC will access, but I have no practical experience on how that works in practice.[DOUBLEPOST=1391837039][/DOUBLEPOST]more specifically.. I have no idea how other resources will react when trying to access a thread-locked variable, etc. refer to earlier, JVM isn't my favored bytecode engine.
Some research into Java thread safety says there are two ways to make things threadsafe:
  • Immutability - not an option, as that would make the TileEntities malfunction
  • Synchronization - maybe...?

databeast

Jul 29, 2019
my limited knowledge of C#->Java translations has a bell ringing in my head that says Sync is what you want.