ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Anyone else having problems with neutrons not despawning?
I got a 16 core reactor, and in a matter of 24 hours, I had over 80K neutrons on my server, brining the server almost to a halt (27% TPS at 135.7MS)

What version?

Snikerx

Jul 29, 2019
Picture of the reactor setup if it will be to any help.

0fgg0bB.jpg

Snikerx

Jul 29, 2019
The reactor is having its rods down, because as soon as I retract them, the reactor run at full efficiency, and my world get bombarded by neutrons that does not seem to despawn ;)

here is the area that is chunkloaded. I never see any neutrons leaving the concrete walls either.
1IlrMeb.jpg

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The reactor is having its rods down, because as soon as I retract them, the reactor run at full efficiency, and my world get bombarded by neutrons that does not seem to despawn ;)

here is the area that is chunkloaded. I never see any neutrons leaving the concrete walls either.
Do these neutrons sit stationary, or keep moving forever?

Snikerx

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea unfortunately.
Since every free space is blocked of with at least 4 blocks of cement, they never seem to leave the reactor area itself. (if the cement is not there, I will see neutrons fly of normally as they should)
the amount of neutrons I have in the world is reported to me by Opis, and the number do jump up and down a little, so it means that a lot of them are despawning.
but the number is increasing a little by little, so somewhere, there is a build up of neutrons that never seem to despawn.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have no idea unfortunately.
Since every free space is blocked of with at least 4 blocks of cement, they never seem to leave the reactor area itself. (if the cement is not there, I will see neutrons fly of normally as they should)
the amount of neutrons I have in the world is reported to me by Opis, and the number do jump up and down a little, so it means that a lot of them are despawning.
but the number is increasing a little by little, so somewhere, there is a build up of neutrons that never seem to despawn.
Or, you have a chain reaction, which is intentional. That said, eighty thousand is far outside the bounds of any normal reactor. You should expect a hundred at most.

Also, stationary neutrons despawn after a tick.

Snikerx

Jul 29, 2019
well, after about 30-40 min with reactor at full capacity, I have around 2500-3000 neutrons in my world. so its increasing pretty rapidly.
with control rods down, it does seem to be stable at around 180 neutrons. the problem only seems to occur when running at full capacity.

but to be honest, it can be somthing else is interfering with your mod or something. I find the FTB monster pack to be quite unstable.
do you know/suspect if any mods in the pack is incompatible with your's so I can remove them to see if it fixes the problem?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
well, after about 30-40 min with reactor at full capacity, I have around 2500-3000 neutrons in my world. so its increasing pretty rapidly.
with control rods down, it does seem to be stable at around 180 neutrons. the problem only seems to occur when running at full capacity.

but to be honest, it can be somthing else is interfering with your mod or something. I find the FTB monster pack to be quite unstable.
do you know/suspect if any mods in the pack is incompatible with your's so I can remove them to see if it fixes the problem?
I do not see how any other mod short of the GeoStrata Tile Accelerator can change this, and even that was changed in v24.

Snikerx

Jul 29, 2019
ok, turns out the bug with neutrons not despawning had nothing to do with your mod.
it was somehow a strange side effect of my server host managing to put my network node on half duplex mode.
(got solved after spending half a day, trying to tell them the problem was on their end, not on my end, since the customer is never right.)

everything is working normally now, and the amount of neutrons seems to be stable at 120-140.
even turns out the FTB Monster pack is actually quite stable when everything is working as it should ;)

Snikerx

Jul 29, 2019
half duplex, means that the network can not send and receive data at the same time.
it's like trying to access internet true a walkie talkie.

this caused a lot of issues on the server as you can imaging, and one of the side effects was that the neutrons wasn't despawning
as they should have.
why or even how this caused it, I have no idea. but it doesn't matter. a minecraft server should not run on half duplex mode anyway.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Anyone else having problems with neutrons not despawning?
I got a 16 core reactor, and in a matter of 24 hours, I had over 80K neutrons on my server, brining the server almost to a halt (27% TPS at 135.7MS)
Hrm, nope, my neutrons are behaving.[DOUBLEPOST=1402887507][/DOUBLEPOST]If anyone cares, I used a variation of the 16-core design for a Breeder Reactor this week.

Not sure how I feel about it. I have to run the reactor really hot in order to get a half-decent flow of hot sodium flowing. I had two meltdowns as a result :|

The sodium heaters don't seem to want to pick up heat as fast as I'd like, and they drop 100C or something when they do a boil cycle.

Might switch it to standard water boilers.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm wondering which is the smallest reactor that is still reasonably efficient? That 16-core design appears to indicate a four-core design would work.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm wondering which is the smallest reactor that is still reasonably efficient? That 16-core design appears to indicate a four-core design would work.
The smallest I've made that actually worked ok was a 7-core with reflectors around it. Just basically make a T out of them.

A 4-core surrounded by reflectors may emit steam now and then but not enough to drive a turbine afaik. The 7-core will definitely run at least 1 LP full time, and maybe more.

I actually do recommend starting wtih something like the 7-core. Its mindlessly simple: you don't need any control rods or any of that exciting stuff. Just plonk down some reactor cores, boilers and reflectors and you're good to go.

First add Reactor Cores
XXX
XXX

_X_

Then Boilers
_BBB_
BXXXB
B
XXXB
_BXB_
__B__

Then Reflectors so that "escaping" neutrons instead bounce back in and create more reactions:
___RRR_
___BBB__
_RBXXXBR_
_RBXXXBR_
__RBXBR_
___RBR__
____R___

Note that you basically want reflectors anywhere that a neutron can go.

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure I cant say I have tried the breeder reactors and sodium stuff yet. I kinda dont need toat this point with an MFR laser drill running at max efficiency. Im never gonna run out of uranium...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure I cant say I have tried the breeder reactors and sodium stuff yet. I kinda dont need toat this point with an MFR laser drill running at max efficiency. Im never gonna run out of uranium...
Nope. Really I'm just having fun fleshing out an unknown mod; I don't need any more power either :)