ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I'm in GC space. I've gotten the HP turbine to work. That works fine. I can not get steam to come out of the grates.

Does GC space fill with a transparent block? Can you try the grate in a normal area?

The HP turbine doesn't use free floating blocks of steam like the normal turbines.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I think it'd be cool if ReC steam got turned into projectile blocks of ice if you push them out of a grate in space.

The image of turbine blades completely encased in ice makes me laugh

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I made grates not work in space because the water vapor would immediately disperse, effectively being deleted.
To address Israel's confusion: the difference with the HP turbine is that the steam never enters "space". Its confined within the turbine itself, which is why the HP works and the LP doesn't.

Reika, it occurs to me that the same problem essentially applies to the water vapour output on the other end of the HP, did you already kill that in space?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Suck on that everyone :p

(Why we collect water via a dripping mechanism instead of an airtight nozzle is beyond me, except, I suppose, that it looks awesome.)

Denthris

Jul 29, 2019
Been getting into Reactor Craft, and I'm having a challenging time finding information on Breeder Reactors. I've found a lot of discussions on Fission reactors, good builds, etc. I wondered if anyone has looked into Breeder Reactors to the same extent.

I know theirs temperature differences between Steam Boilers, and Sodium Heaters. (I know you can't include Sodium Heaters in a Fission Reactor and Vice Versa). I know the added step with Heat Exchanger.

Additional Questions are:

1. Are their any other temperature differences? When does Metldown occur. (I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, as I ended up having a Nuclear Meldown within a minute of having fuel put into the reactor through Steves Factory Manager)
2. Would a Fission Reactor design work for a Breeder reactor?

Reactor Question in General. Fuel Types: Uranium, Plutonium, and Thorium? Do they work differently. Would one design work with one fuel type and not others?

Any information would be appreciated, and if this type of discussion has happened anywhere else, link would be excellent as well. This did seem like the appropriate forum to ask though.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Been getting into Reactor Craft, and I'm having a challenging time finding information on Breeder Reactors. I've found a lot of discussions on Fission reactors, good builds, etc. I wondered if anyone has looked into Breeder Reactors to the same extent.

I know theirs temperature differences between Steam Boilers, and Sodium Heaters. (I know you can't include Sodium Heaters in a Fission Reactor and Vice Versa). I know the added step with Heat Exchanger.

Additional Questions are:

1. Are their any other temperature differences? When does Metldown occur. (I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, as I ended up having a Nuclear Meldown within a minute of having fuel put into the reactor through Steves Factory Manager)
2. Would a Fission Reactor design work for a Breeder reactor?

Reactor Question in General. Fuel Types: Uranium, Plutonium, and Thorium? Do they work differently. Would one design work with one fuel type and not others?

Any information would be appreciated, and if this type of discussion has happened anywhere else, link would be excellent as well. This did seem like the appropriate forum to ask though.
How technical of an answer are you expecting/able to understand?

Denthris

Jul 29, 2019
I would ask for something slight technical? I'm hoping to get something more than - heres a picture, duplicate it.

Anything I don't understand, I can take my time to work through and learn. I already know about hundred times more about Nuclear reactors from playing this mod, than I did before.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I would ask for something slight technical? I'm hoping to get something more than - heres a picture, duplicate it.

Anything I don't understand, I can take my time to work through and learn. I already know about hundred times more about Nuclear reactors from playing this mod, than I did before.
There's a couple videos on youtube, but they're outdated. There's also a schematic on page 15 of this thread. But its also probably outdated.

During the time I was particularly involved in this thread, breeders were my favorite type of reactor to play with. They're a lot of fun.

The short version of how it'll work is you're going to use fission to heat up molten salt, and then use that hot molten salt in heat exchangers to create water-steam. You'll create power from your depleted fuel as well as new fuel as a result.

Lastly for any conversation involving ReC, I always recommend getting @Demosthenex's input.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

The big differences in breeder reactors, aside from the fuel/heat cycle differences, are that breeder reactors generate more heat and more waste per fission event, and that the void coefficient (i.e. the proportionality between temperature and fission rate) is positive, unlike most reactors in ReC (and any well-designed real-world reactor). Meltdowns are also at a lower temperature, 900C.

The relevant class:
https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/Rea...es/Fission/Breeder/TileEntityBreederCore.java

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The big differences in breeder reactors, aside from the fuel/heat cycle differences, are that breeder reactors generate more heat and more waste per fission event, and that the void coefficient (i.e. the proportionality between temperature and fission rate) is positive, unlike most reactors in ReC (and any well-designed real-world reactor). Meltdowns are also at a lower temperature, 900C.

The relevant class:
https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/Rea...es/Fission/Breeder/TileEntityBreederCore.java
Can you explain "and that the void coefficient (i.e. the proportionality between temperature and fission rate) is positive" to me? Comparing temperature to fission rate isn't intuitive to me.

Also: do you have any intention of making the lubricant consumption rate configurable? I've been loosely considering taking a newer look at ReC, but lower lubricant consumption is an absolute must for me because I hate "serious" farming.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Can you explain "and that the void coefficient (i.e. the proportionality between temperature and fission rate) is positive" to me? Comparing temperature to fission rate isn't intuitive to me.
The hotter it is, the faster it heats up.

Also: do you have any intention of making the lubricant consumption rate configurable? I've been loosely considering taking a newer look at ReC, but lower lubricant consumption is an absolute must for me because I hate "serious" farming.
???

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The hotter it is, the faster it heats up.

???
Ok so runaway reactions are more likely.

Configurable: I should have clarified, the consumption rates for reactor turbines specifically. I hear they consume a lot of lubricant, and I don't believe we can recycle that lubricant.
I was fully on board with making lubricant consumption for turbines but I didn't expect the sheer amount of it. I'm wondering if you have any interest in adding a configuration line for it to appease lazy farmers like myself.

Reactions: Ieldra

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ok so runaway reactions are more likely.

Configurable: I should have clarified, the consumption rates for reactor turbines specifically. I hear they consume a lot of lubricant, and I don't believe we can recycle that lubricant.
I was fully on board with making lubricant consumption for turbines but I didn't expect the sheer amount of it. I'm wondering if you have any interest in adding a configuration line for it to appease lazy farmers like myself.
Have you tried? I strongly suspect you are overestimating the difficulty. One maxed grinder can easily keep up.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Have you tried? I strongly suspect you are overestimating the difficulty. One maxed grinder can easily keep up.
Its actually the farming rather than the grinding i'm concerned about, but nm. Its not a particularly interesting request in any event.