Rating system for modpacks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mapokapo

Jul 29, 2019
I really want to find a good modpack, but in a lot of cases, not all modpacks contain the mods/features I want. I will introduce a new rating system for modpacks, which is left by your opinion to use. It works like this:

Every modpack is divided into a few unique categories:
- Technicality (Power gen, resource gathering, processing resources, etc.)
- "Fan service" (This means having some semi-OP features in the modpack, for example Vein-Miner, Treecapitator, BlockArmor, and many more shortcuts like making 4 chests by using logs instead of wooden planks in the chest recipe)
- Performance (A balance between having a lot of good mods and decent FPS. Self explanatory.)
- Compabilty (It describes the compability between 2 or more mods. For example, tech mods being compatible with Tinker's Construct. This also can have a negative impact, like 2 mods interfering with eachother making the modpack unplayable to an extent. This can be seen in the very early versions (MC 1.4.7) of Voltz)
- Goals (Basically, having a lot of things to tinker around in the end game, like building huge structures using Chisel, making the Infinity Sword using the Dire Crafting Table, etc.)

Here are a few examples:

Foolcraft:
Technicality - 7.5
Fan service - 10
Performance - 8.5
Compability - 9.5
Goals - 4.5

It has a very smooth start with Veinminer and TC. The tech mods are good enough to provide basic ore gathering (Quantum Quarry), ore refining (EnderIO or TE) and power gen (Iskallium Reactors, Slime power, etc.). Performance is pretty good compared to the other major 1.10 modpacks. Compability is also very good, no missing recipes and everything gets together hand in hand. The challenges of this pack are not very... Challenging. Making overpowered tools is a breeze once you get a decent ore gathering system. Making detalied builds is only possible with DecoCraft and Chisel.

DireWolf 20:
Technicality - 10
Fan service - 7
Performace - 7
Compability - 10
Goals - 8

The tech mods are amazing and well configured. The power gen is interesting, and there are uncountable amounts of ways to get resources. The start is usual, getting wood and ores. The performance is good if you lower all of your settings, and some mods make a lot of lag. It is very compatible with all mods, making EnderIO compatible with most of the mods you find here. Goals are also good. You can upgrade your power gen to the maximum, get the best tools, tinker with Botania and many more.

You can post your own examples by following the rules. You mustn't post modified modpacks. This isn't anything major, just a simple rating system. If you have any ideas or recommendations, post them down below.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
i would also add a another condition which is : Variety
Does it have ALL the mods being RF mods? does it have magic and so on...
EDIT : i find this is a nice system. though we need more attention.. we could have people becoming modpack reviewers

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I think that this is the wrong question, or series of questions.

Using this system, all you need to hit all 10's is to do a kitchen sink mod pack with All The Mods, so you are sure to hit on the appropriate categories, and some minor config tweaking in some corner cases. Which, come to think of it, pretty much describes the DW20 pack, and most of the other FTB packs as well.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Its an interesting idea, but so much comes down to subjective opinion, and it runs the risk of packs being downvoted by some because they're not to the person's taste, even though they might rank very highly for others. I'm always very leery of putting numbers and values on opinions.

Now, that said, the text parts are what I would consider super useful - not just numbers, but genuine and thought-out opinions on different aspects. For me, it would be that part that would really tell me what I want to know. Perhaps encouraging more people to try and "review" packs in such a manner (and discouraging absolute statements given without context) would be a good starting point? Hmm...

mapokapo

Jul 29, 2019
i would also add a another condition which is : Variety
Does it have ALL the mods being RF mods? does it have magic and so on...
EDIT : i find this is a nice system. though we need more attention.. we could have people becoming modpack reviewers

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

That could be a sort of sub-genre, since it can easily go into the "Compability" class

mapokapo

Jul 29, 2019
I think that this is the wrong question, or series of questions.

Using this system, all you need to hit all 10's is to do a kitchen sink mod pack with All The Mods, so you are sure to hit on the appropriate categories, and some minor config tweaking in some corner cases. Which, come to think of it, pretty much describes the DW20 pack, and most of the other FTB packs as well.

With this system, you can (rarely) achieve a sort of perfect modpack, having all the things being 10. Some modpacks may already have this, but everyone can use it, so it's up to your opinion.

mapokapo

Jul 29, 2019
Its an interesting idea, but so much comes down to subjective opinion, and it runs the risk of packs being downvoted by some because they're not to the person's taste, even though they might rank very highly for others. I'm always very leery of putting numbers and values on opinions.

Now, that said, the text parts are what I would consider super useful - not just numbers, but genuine and thought-out opinions on different aspects. For me, it would be that part that would really tell me what I want to know. Perhaps encouraging more people to try and "review" packs in such a manner (and discouraging absolute statements given without context) would be a good starting point? Hmm...

Hmm, good idea. It's still a new system so we can easily add improvements. The rating system is mostly subjective, I agree, since it depends on personal opinion for most users.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The problem here is that any sort of rating system is inherently biased by the judge's preferences, which makes the system not only worthless but actively detrimental. Because every fanboy is going to vote for the DW20 Pack and the Beyond pack, obviously, with zero care or regard to actual quality or content, which will only further cement 'mainstream' packs as the only ones people want to play, which is detrimental to the creativity of the community as a whole.

Or you just have a small group of judges, so everybody plays what they say to play, which is equally flawed, only even moreso.

The best, and most likely, response? Everyone simply ignores you.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I would look at a rating system the way I look at opinions in real life... Including what they're like and the fact that everyone has one :D

Seriously, when looking at movie ratings (similar concept) I learn who likes the same things I do or vice versa and proceed appropriately. There's a movie critic here in Sacramento who has a knack for panning all the good ones so I just go see what he hates. Haven't seen a bad movie in 20 years :D

mapokapo

Jul 29, 2019
The problem here is that any sort of rating system is inherently biased by the judge's preferences, which makes the system not only worthless but actively detrimental. Because every fanboy is going to vote for the DW20 Pack and the Beyond pack, obviously, with zero care or regard to actual quality or content, which will only further cement 'mainstream' packs as the only ones people want to play, which is detrimental to the creativity of the community as a whole.

Or you just have a small group of judges, so everybody plays what they say to play, which is equally flawed, only even moreso.

The best, and most likely, response? Everyone simply ignores you.

As Hambeau put it, the same thing happens with game and movie critics. They can't give a movie rating because someone would disagree. It's just the nature of things like this

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I can imagine someone making a few "Pack Spotlights" similar to how Mod Spotlights became popularized. Kitchen Sink packs wouldn't benefit from it much, but they have all the mods with no direction, so they're already pretty self-explanatory. However, if someone were to review the majority of the less known/popularized packs as they come about, particularly the themed or niche packs, it could help to direct packless players to something in their wheelhouse, or even prompt someone to try something out of their comfort zone.

I picture it like a condensed full season LP being run behind a narrative of flavor and associated challenges all in a neat 30 to 45 minute package. Main points would be type of pack (industrial, magic, combat oriented, hardcore survival, etc); main focus mods, which may change as the pack progresses; overall stability; weight, for those of us with less processing power than the phone in our pocket; and possibly overall playability.

Fair game would be recipe change warnings (not a list, but a heads up that things will be different); recipe conflicts; areas of grind (again, more of a heads up than calling out particular mods, but some packs are definitively more grind based than others), and areas of cheese (a single item that can ruin an otherwise great progression, for instance).

This would take time, as a potential reviewer would actually have to play through each pack, taking notes and recording stuff. It would probably be easiest to do a LP Series, then cap it off with a "In Review" episode, honestly, but I'm just making this up as I go along.

As stated above, any review system, even with the best of intentions, will be flawed. Numbers are easy to manipulate. Opinions vary wildly. The best review is usually to simply play a bit of the pack yourself and get a feel for it, but who has time for that, am I right?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
As Hambeau put it, the same thing happens with game and movie critics. They can't give a movie rating because someone would disagree. It's just the nature of things like this
You couldn't have made my point any stronger if you had tried...

The industry exploits critics harshly to get ratings when it badly needs it. They give movie critics a bunch of free swag to persuade them to look favorably on their movies, and those who give it a thumbs down somehow don't get invited to any of their future movies. Likewise, game critics are pretty much entirely in the pocket of the game companies. Take a look at the Nintendo Partner contract some time, it's pretty nuts. Basically, you either say they excrete gold bricks or you just don't get asked back. There's almost no honest reviews left anymore in either industry.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I can imagine someone making a few "Pack Spotlights" similar to how Mod Spotlights became popularized. Kitchen Sink packs wouldn't benefit from it much, but they have all the mods with no direction, so they're already pretty self-explanatory. However, if someone were to review the majority of the less known/popularized packs as they come about, particularly the themed or niche packs, it could help to direct packless players to something in their wheelhouse, or even prompt someone to try something out of their comfort zone.

I picture it like a condensed full season LP being run behind a narrative of flavor and associated challenges all in a neat 30 to 45 minute package. Main points would be type of pack (industrial, magic, combat oriented, hardcore survival, etc); main focus mods, which may change as the pack progresses; overall stability; weight, for those of us with less processing power than the phone in our pocket; and possibly overall playability.

Fair game would be recipe change warnings (not a list, but a heads up that things will be different); recipe conflicts; areas of grind (again, more of a heads up than calling out particular mods, but some packs are definitively more grind based than others), and areas of cheese (a single item that can ruin an otherwise great progression, for instance).

This would take time, as a potential reviewer would actually have to play through each pack, taking notes and recording stuff. It would probably be easiest to do a LP Series, then cap it off with a "In Review" episode, honestly, but I'm just making this up as I go along.

As stated above, any review system, even with the best of intentions, will be flawed. Numbers are easy to manipulate. Opinions vary wildly. The best review is usually to simply play a bit of the pack yourself and get a feel for it, but who has time for that, am I right?
You've really put a good one out here - pack highlights is exactly the sort of info I'd be looking for! :) Something that really tells you, in a condensed but informative form, what playing the pack would be like! I mean, there IS definite value in having something more focussed and shorter than a proper review, but not as reductive as numbers.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
You've really put a good one out here - pack highlights is exactly the sort of info I'd be looking for! :) Something that really tells you, in a condensed but informative form, what playing the pack would be like! I mean, there IS definite value in having something more focussed and shorter than a proper review, but not as reductive as numbers.

Isn't that kind of what Direwolf20 does now? Minus the "Wrap-up" episode, unless you count the inevitable Enderman attack :D

The problem with that is that everybody falls into 'habits' in the way they do things... Some try to change up their designs, the good ones try to use different mods than they're used to for variety, but it all boils down eventually.

Just look at some of the complaints in these forums that a mod is "broke" because it's a little different from the last version.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
They give movie critics a bunch of free swag to persuade them to look favorably on their movies,

Stop stop stop stop.

No offense, but this complaint has driven me absolutely nuts since the first time I've seen it sputtered on the 'net.

This is how literally all business works. It's not abnormal. It's sales. And it's simply a fact of life. It's just how it works. It's not exclusive to gaming, or the entertianment industry. It's not new, and there's nothing wrong with it. If not swag, it's a dinner, if not dinner, it's a round of golf. If it's not a round of golf, it's an ass-kissing. It's just a necessary part of business.

Please, please, this place is actually quite nice, please keep this crap somewhere else. Believe what you want, I don't care at all, just don't bring it here.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Stop stop stop stop.

No offense, but this complaint has driven me absolutely nuts since the first time I've seen it sputtered on the 'net.

This is how literally all business works. It's not abnormal. It's sales. And it's simply a fact of life. It's just how it works. It's not exclusive to gaming, or the entertianment industry. It's not new, and there's nothing wrong with it. If not swag, it's a dinner, if not dinner, it's a round of golf. If it's not a round of golf, it's an ass-kissing. It's just a necessary part of business.

Please, please, this place is actually quite nice, please keep this crap somewhere else. Believe what you want, I don't care at all, just don't bring it here.

Actually, every corporate ethics program expressly states this is unethical behavior. In fact, any company working with the government (state or federal) in America can be removed from future contract negotiations for up to 25 years if proven that any of these things are done. If even the suspicion of this behavior is found, contract can be denied for up to 5 years without even solid proof.

You're right that it happens all the time. You're wrong that there's nothing wrong with it.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Stop stop stop stop.

Bolded parts for emphasis. YES, that is EXACTLY the problem! Reviewers are part of the sales mechanic of the companies. They are not unbiased, because if they don't publish the reviews the companies want, they are effectively out of a job. Effectively, they are employee-contractors for the companies of the products they review. Just another arm of the advertising campaign.

Which is what this is going to boil down to. Free advertising for the 'big' packs that don't need it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Listen, I'll say this one more time, I don't actually care what your opinion is on it. What I care about is that EVERY goddamn message board I've ever been on gets infected by this shit at the first excuse to talk about it. Just take it somewhere else. Literally anywhere else on the entire internet. Or you're just about to start the same bullshit argument that you've all had before.

And for the record, I will continue to think you both are naive about this subject, and there's literally nothing you will ever have to say that would convince me otherwise, just as I'm not going to convince you of anything, either. Or to anyone else you see on the internet, mind you. So just don't bring it here.

This thread brings up the concept of FANS rating the modpacks. This conversation does not apply to it. Direwolf20 isn't sending anyone swag to get more votes, least of all for a free modpack.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Listen, I'll say this one more time, I don't actually care what your opinion is on it. What I care about is that EVERY goddamn message board I've ever been on gets infected by this shit. Just take it somewhere else. Literally anywhere else on the entire internet. Or you're just about to start the same bullshit argument that you've all had before.

And for the record, I will continue to think you both are naive about this subject, and there's literally nothing you will ever have to say that would convince me otherwise, just as I'm not going to convince you of anything, either. Or to anyone else you see on the internet, mind you. So just don't bring it here.

This thread brings up the concept of FANS rating the modpacks. This conversation does not apply to it. Direwolf20 isn't sending anyone swag to get more votes.
Triggered much? :rolleyes:

Having worked in the industry, I hardly feel as though I am at all naive on the topic, and I'm not trying to convince YOU of anything. I'm pointing out the inherent flaws in your proposal.

Fanboys will rate their favorite packs high, irregardless of any quantifiable traits. Period. Just like it is impossible to get good beta-testing data out of a public beta release, it is going to be impossible to get any decent ratings system because, as you well pointed out, these people are FANS, they are invested in their favorite packs and are going to rate them high despite any flaws said pack might potentially possess.

The word to be used here is 'Mu'. As in 'the question itself is inherently flawed'. The concept you are trying for is doomed to failure by simple human nature. At this point, I care less about what you think. I just don't want everyone else to be scammed.

Have a nice day :)