RAM reccomendation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Typically you want to only allocate half of your RAM to MC, saving the rest for tasks, other programs, wikis, etc.

Actually, you should run "the slider" with at least 1.5-2GB ram unallocated so Windows remains happy and doesn't start swapping to disk. That is the path to darkness.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, you should keep 2GB ram so Windows remains happy and doesn't start swapping to disk. That is the path to darkness.
lol I hadn't turned my computer off for about a month, and this morning I was playing FTB Monster, while chatting on IRC and listening to music on iTunes. Turns out, when allocating 2.5GB of RAM, talking on IRC, listening to music on iTunes, all with the priority of MC set to -15/-20, will completely destroy everything. I was running with anywhere from 400-900MB of RAM available :p

Also, OP has 4GB of RAM, so 2GB of RAM is plenty. You shouldn't play heavily modded MC SSP if you don't have 4GB or more RAM.

SlowboyFast

Jul 29, 2019
How much should I allocate to it if I want to use fraps to record it?

My FTB is actually set to use 3 GB but 2 Gigs is more than enough. I've got loads of chunkloaders, machines and stuff and it all peaks at 1,80 GB. So don't worry about RAM, if you don't want to get slowdowns and hiccups during your recording be sure to record to separate HDD!

Last edited:

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
So if I have 6 gigs of ram in my laptop and can't run monster, is it because my AMD m300 (2 GHz) processor is too crappy?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
So if I have 6 gigs of ram in my laptop and can't run monster, is it because my AMD m300 (2 GHz) processor is too crappy?

Run task manager and check your CPU usage while running MC. a good enough CPU should never remains or exceeds 80% constantly.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
How much should I allocate to it if I want to use fraps to record it?
The same as if you were not using FRAPS to record it. You'll just ALSO need a whole pile of RAM dedicated to FRAPS, plus a couple of cores from your proc since that is really more of a processing thing than a RAM thing.