Quitting drinking soda and have started drinking coffee?

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I recently have decided to stop drinking soda as it is not good for me in any way especially my teeth and my weight. I have started drinking coffee in the morning to wake me up and give me a caffeine boost and get rid of those nasty caffeine headaches. I was wondering is it safe to drink 4-6 cups of coffee a day? Are there any signs of when you should stop? Thank you for your input. :)

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I recently have decided to stop drinking soda as it is not good for me in any way especially my teeth and my weight. I have started drinking coffee in the morning to wake me up and give me a caffeine boost and get rid of those nasty caffeine headaches. I was wondering is it safe to drink 4-6 cups of coffee a day? Are there any signs of when you should stop? Thank you for your input. :)

Ummm I don't think switching to 4-6 cups of coffee helps anything... Just saying :rolleyes:

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

carmont492

Jul 29, 2019
Have some fruit in the morning rather than a caffeinated drink. 2 reasons; 1, healthier. 2, will wake you up in no time. And if you just like the taste of coffee, drink decaff

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I drink a lot of coffee for study reasons, it's better than soft drinks because it's not fizzy and doesn't contain as much sugar unless you heap in spoons of the stuff.
The antioxidants in coffee are good for you (from memory I think it minimises chances of heart disease or something) and overall it raises your metabolism rate, so there are benefits.
Personally I reckon caffeine itself is fine for consumption....you just need to manage the sugar.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Anything with caffeine dehydrates you. Try to drink something noncaffeinated as well through the day. The coffee is definitely better than soda, unless you add a ton of sugar. If you are trying to avoid the sugar, unsweetened iced tea is much tastier than coffee with no sugar and still has the caffeine so you won't get the headaches. Those headaches are from a caffeine addiction. If you lower your consumption of it slowly over a few days, the headaches will go away.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
That's the thing, I don't add sugar and I brush my teeth three times a day, I'm looking to stray away from the calories and whatnot, not the caffeine :p

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
There are huge numbers of people drinking far more coffee than you are suggesting. No doctor will suggest you drink that much, but any doctor will tell you it's better than drinking a similar amount of soda.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
There are huge numbers of people drinking far more coffee than you are suggesting. No doctor will suggest you drink that much, but any doctor will tell you it's better than drinking a similar amount of soda.

I used to drink around 13 cans of diet soda a day until I actually was hospitalized because I started bleeding from my colon from something called ischemic colitis. I then switched to normal soda and drank around 12 cans a day for about 4 months. Not a good idea. I have now switched to coffee and I appreciate everyones input.

edit: just thought I should say I am no longer bleeding or have any effects from it :)

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I used to drink around 13 cans of diet soda a day until I actually was hospitalized because I started bleeding from my colon from something called ischemic colitis. I then switched to normal soda and drank around 12 cans a day for about 4 months. Not a good idea. I have now switched to coffee and I appreciate everyones input.

edit: just thought I should say I am no longer bleeding or have any effects from it :)

Oh well 4-6 cups is a HUGE improvement over 12-13 cans

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
looks to me like your caffeine intake has increased but you've cut something like 1500 calories from your diet.... I don't think anyone would call it a bad thing. I am not familiar with your specific medical issue.... some people do not deal well with cafeine, but without a doc telling you to limit intake I think you are setting yourself up for an improvement.

Reactions: Bigpak

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019

Um... ischemic colitis is a circulatory problem. Acute cases are usually caused by a clot (same thing as strokes/microstrokes (the latter called Transient ischemic attacks). And of course it went away, the clot broke up or moved on. You need to switch to water. And plenty of water. Caffiene is a diuretic, which means it causes your body to get rid of water. I'd be more concerned with sodium intake, especially in relation to water intake. I'd advise water. Not vitamin water, not watery energy crap. Water. And cut salt down as low as you can.

I experienced a Transient ischemic attack (evidence suggests, but we're not 100% sure) myself late spring this year (luckily no lasting effects). Number one thing my doctor told me to do was keep sodium under 2000mg/day (it's harder than you think) and drink water. I'm down to just a soda in the morning, then 1-4 liters of water though out the day. I feel loads better overall and my blood pressure dropped to healthy levels. The caffeine drop may not be pleasant, but you gotta get off that stuff. At the very least, any addiction is a bad thing.

Reactions: Bigpak

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Um... ischemic colitis is a circulatory problem. Acute cases are usually caused by a clot (same thing as strokes/microstrokes (the latter called Transient ischemic attacks). And of course it went away, the clot broke up or moved on. You need to switch to water. And plenty of water. Caffiene is a diuretic, which means it causes your body to get rid of water. I'd be more concerned with sodium intake, especially in relation to water intake. I'd advise water. Not vitamin water, not watery energy crap. Water. And cut salt down as low as you can.

I experienced a Transient ischemic attack (evidence suggests, but we're not 100% sure) myself late spring this year (luckily no lasting effects). Number one thing my doctor told me to do was keep sodium under 2000mg/day (it's harder than you think) and drink water. I'm down to just a soda in the morning, then 1-4 liters of water though out the day. I feel loads better overall and my blood pressure dropped to healthy levels. The caffeine drop may not be pleasant, but you gotta get off that stuff. At the very least, any addiction is a bad thing.

Except for the fact at the time I was addicted on Afrin nasal spray which constricts blood flow, taking 4 Advil every 4 hours and on top of that the Aspartame which is contained in the soda I drank also contributed to that as well as my weight back then. I was hospitalized and within 3 hours was under anesthesia and a colonoscopy was performed and a biopsy was taken and I was "flushed" out. After the colonoscopy I had stopped bleeding.

most ischemic collitis cases are patients that are very old, and it is extremely rare to see one in someone that was under 20.

A very bad part of it all was that I still felt the tube going into me. Not comfortable or something I want to repeat for a while. I've quit all of that stuff now instantly afterwards.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds to me like your medical issues may justify an email/call to your doctors office regarding caffeine intake.

Already have to be honest and they said it's fine to switch over to coffee just not to go over to any constrictors etc. So no more advil or ibuprofen or any sort of nasal spray that constricts the blood flow to the nasal membranes to reduce swelling. :)

I was just wondering how much you can intake on a daily basis without harming yourself.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I agree with this...

Of course, my cup is a 1/2 liter beer stein :D

On a serious note, don't drink too much caffeine... for me it is a digestive system kick-start, and if I get too much... the less said the better.

As a type II diabetic I'd say the decrease in sugar intake is also a major benefit.

My personal opinion is that the prevalence of HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) in most domestic products is a contributor but some studies (I won't name the funders :D) say that the similarity of the curves showing increase in Diabetes cases and increase in HFCS use is purely coincidental. :rolleyes:

Reactions: dothrom