Quick TiCo Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
So ever since i started FTB I have always made my end game pickaxes about the same way. Cobalt head, Paper Binding, and Manulin tool rod. Recently I was playing on a server and someone told me that this way a horrible combo, and it is actually the binding that was important! I didn't believe him at first but i did some testing with a manulin binding instead of paper, and sure enough, with the same modifiers as the other pick it was way faster. So my question to the community is what is your best combination and/or better combo then what I have currently. Thanks!

P.S. Yes i'm pretty sure i spelled manulin wrong on both occasions, no need to correct me

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Best combo really depends what you need it for...
For a start, replace paper with thaumium, they both add an extra modifier, but paper is worse.
As for the head, if you don't need anything better than diamond (in terms of mining level) electrum - and waste a modifier on adding a diamond (up the durability and mining level) for a base mining speed of 17, quite nice.
Then the tool rod... Again, no idea here really, stonebound is supposed to be a good thing, but I don't know why. So if you want that, netherrack. If you want the slime tool rod, that works too. Or, if you want to have the extra modifier (because you wasted one on the diamond) Thaumium.

Tepig4321

Jul 29, 2019
So ever since i started FTB I have always made my end game pickaxes about the same way. Cobalt head, Paper Binding, and Manulin tool rod. Recently I was playing on a server and someone told me that this way a horrible combo, and it is actually the binding that was important! I didn't believe him at first but i did some testing with a manulin binding instead of paper, and sure enough, with the same modifiers as the other pick it was way faster. So my question to the community is what is your best combination and/or better combo then what I have currently. Thanks!

P.S. Yes i'm pretty sure i spelled manulin wrong on both occasions, no need to correct me
manyullyn i think.

Sword:
Manyullun Sword Head
Manyullun Binding
Manyullun Tool Rod

Modifiers:
2 Sharpness Modifiers
1 Luck Modifier
1 Ball of Moss

Pickaxe:
Cobalt Pickaxe Head
Cobalt Binding
Manyullun Tool Rod

Modifiers:
2 Haste Modifiers
1 Silk Touch Modifier
1 RF Capacitor (Resonant) Modifier

Mattock:
Cobalt Shovel Head
Cobalt Axe Head
Manyullun Tool Rod

Modifiers:
2 Haste
1 Ball of Moss

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
For a start, replace paper with thaumium, they both add an extra modifier, but paper is worse.
I actually tried thaumium because i had heard that it was better then paper, but i put it in a smeltery, and nothing happened. Playing on the infinity modpack if that explains it.

stonebound is supposed to be a good thing, but I don't know why. So if you want that, netherrack.
Stonebound is a perfectly nice modifier, it makes ur tools mine faster the less durability it has.

Pickaxe:
Cobalt Pickaxe Head
Cobalt Binding
Manyullun Tool Rod

Modifiers:
2 Haste Modifiers
1 Silk Touch Modifier
1 RF Capacitor (Resonant) Modifier

Ok, i'm not a huge fan of silk touch because it seems that whenever i use it as my main pick I end of running out of cobble:confused: so i typically go with fortune. Whats the mining speed on that pick?

EDIT:What is the difference with the capacitors. thought it had something to do with durability

Tepig4321

Jul 29, 2019
I actually tried thaumium because i had heard that it was better then paper, but i put it in a smeltery, and nothing happened. Playing on the infinity modpack if that explains it.

Stonebound is a perfectly nice modifier, it makes ur tools mine faster the less durability it has.

Ok, i'm not a huge fan of silk touch because it seems that whenever i use it as my main pick I end of running out of cobble:confused: so i typically go with fortune. Whats the mining speed on that pick?

EDIT:What is the difference with the capacitors. thought it had something to do with durability
Well the better the capacitor, better the dura

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Only difference on the Flux caps is charge level and how often you are recharging it. If you have ender io and a wireless charger you are fine with the Redstone Flux cap.

I personally have gotten used to silk touching everything and processing it have home.

Just make a cobble gen of some kind down so you always have a 64 stacks on hand at all times.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know why I can't use thaumium? is it a metal that you don't need in a smeltery? thx
No, you do not need the smeltery. Just put it in the part builder like you would for all the nonmetal parts. Odds are, If there's no liquid form of it, then you don't need the smeltery for it.

EDIT: Obsidian is a special case. Putting it in the Smeltery gets you two obsidian ingots, but using the part builder counts an obsidian block as 1 piece of obsidian. It's more efficient to use the smeltery, but you don't have to.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
As for the head, if you don't need anything better than diamond (in terms of mining level) electrum - and waste a modifier on adding a diamond (up the durability and mining level) for a base mining speed of 17, quite nice.
If you're going to waste the diamond to get mining level back you're better off with cobalt or shiny pickaxe head and one haste modifier. Gets you 18 speed with better mining level and durability overall, too.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to waste the diamond to get mining level back you're better off with cobalt or shiny pickaxe head and one haste modifier. Gets you 18 speed with better mining level and durability overall, too.
I don't know. The Modifier itself is more valuable than the materials and either way you're using a modifier. The Electrum+diamond doesn't require you to go to the nether, which in some packs is not a place you want to go... ever.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know. The Modifier itself is more valuable than the materials and either way you're using a modifier. The Electrum+diamond doesn't require you to go to the nether, which in some packs is not a place you want to go... ever.
I did say you can use shiny (platinum, whatever you want to call it), too. Costs you just one ingot, shouldn't be too difficult to get. Don't have to go to the Nether for that. Infinity doesn't have shiny ore in the Overworld but you get shiny from ferrous ore as a byproduct.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I did say you can use shiny (platinum, whatever you want to call it), too. Costs you just one ingot, shouldn't be too difficult to get. Don't have to go to the Nether for that. Infinity doesn't have shiny ore in the Overworld but you get shiny from ferrous ore as a byproduct.
It is a bit of a hassle to get though, as it isn't as common. (the ore)
And as for pulverizing it, it's luck based, and low chance, so you may not get it until your 100th ferrous ore (which isn't a lot, but isn't something you get quickly)

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
BTW is it just me or has getting cobalt become much more brutal(at least in infinity) the other day i was getting some, and it wasn't that i couldn't find it but there were things trying to kill me around every corner, and i have been having trouble with some monster from BoP, invisible and throws me into lava. not fun

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of a Side note, but i was wondering if there was a mod or something that would tell me what each material does, TiCo book doesn't include any other mats besides what is there with only itself

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of a Side note, but i was wondering if there was a mod or something that would tell me what each material does, TiCo book doesn't include any other mats besides what is there with only itself
What do you mean? As in mining speeds, etc? TiCToolTips does that.
Modifiers though? I have no idea

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
It is a bit of a hassle to get though, as it isn't as common. (the ore)
And as for pulverizing it, it's luck based, and low chance, so you may not get it until your 100th ferrous ore (which isn't a lot, but isn't something you get quickly)
That's why you don't pulverize for it. Instead Pulverize redstone ore for cinnabar and put the cinnabar into an induction smelter with the ferrous for a guaranteed shiny ingot.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry not modifiers, just a list of modded material trait
Check recipe/usage for any part or material and scroll to the page with material traits with the upper arrows. Then there should be a button to see "recipes" like there is for machines to see all materials.