Question about Tinker's Construct modifiers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, was messing around with Tinker's Construct today on my server and noticed a few wierd things (also tried these out on a test world in creative):

¤ Tools with the "Electric" modifier don't seem to use charge OR durability, they simply last forever (I guess this is a bug)

¤ Auto-smelt and Luck (fortune) on the same tool doesn't seem to stack. I noticed there was a config option for this and it is in fact disabled... Anyone know why this was disabled? (I suppose it encourages ore doubling using other mods)

¤ Items with the auto-repair modifier that are used until they break seem to stay "Broken" and unusable even as they start regenerating durability and need to be fixed by manual repairing with the appropriate raw material. Intended?

¤ (More of a rumour I want to verify/kill) I read on this forum that the regen with auto-repair was based on a percentage, not pure durability. I tested an obsidian pick with no modifiers and one with diamond+emerald and the repair rate was exactly the same. I then figured it might be based on the base durability for that material instead of the actual material of the tool, but I didn't get around to testing it. Anyone know for sure how it works?

Cheers,
Jerx

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
I'll answer 1, and 3:
1. That's not a bug, they go through their normal durability then use the electricity durability.

3. Yea that's annoying but either you repair it before it dies or let it repair on its own so it won't die. At least it's not "unusable" (I've had that bug before -_-)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Hey, was messing around with Tinker's Construct today on my server and noticed a few wierd things (also tried these out on a test world in creative):

¤ Tools with the "Electric" modifier don't seem to use charge OR durability, they simply last forever (I guess this is a bug)

¤ Auto-smelt and Luck (fortune) on the same tool doesn't seem to stack. I noticed there was a config option for this and it is in fact disabled... Anyone know why this was disabled? (I suppose it encourages ore doubling using other mods)

¤ Items with the auto-repair modifier that are used until they break seem to stay "Broken" and unusable even as they start regenerating durability and need to be fixed by manual repairing with the appropriate raw material. Intended?

¤ (More of a rumour I want to verify/kill) I read on this forum that the regen with auto-repair was based on a percentage, not pure durability. I tested an obsidian pick with no modifiers and one with diamond+emerald and the repair rate was exactly the same. I then figured it might be based on the base durability for that material instead of the actual material of the tool, but I didn't get around to testing it. Anyone know for sure how it works?

Cheers,
Jerx
Yeah the ic charger is bugged. The no auto repair for broken tools is a recent change.

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it does auto-repair them, it just doesn't fix them... If that makes any sense.

You might mean the same thing I did, I dunno ^^ It gets wierd when there are two kinds of "broken" and two kinds of "repair".

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019

Cheers,
Jerx

The auto-smelt/fortune effect being set to disabled by default is probably an oversight by the FTB team, before Greg's tantrum combining the effects of fortune and auto-smelt caused an infinite ingot exploit with Gregtech, breaking metal blocks with those modifiers would result in getting back up to 36 ingots instead of the 9 used to create the block.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
This may not be the right place to ask...or thread may be to old(...) but do tools with electric modifier benefit from reinforced material ability? As I understand it, reinforced =~ unbreaking : where tool has a chance to not lose durability during use. Since electric modifier sorta replaces durability, would reinforced allow for a chance to not use charge?

shadovvhunt3r

Jul 29, 2019
might be wrong place to ask but any one know how to modify the diamond and/or emerald modifiers config files?
Would like to put more then one on my arrows and bolts but can't fine the config setting for it!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
might be wrong place to ask but any one know how to modify the diamond and/or emerald modifiers config files?
Would like to put more then one on my arrows and bolts but can't fine the config setting for it!
I don't think they're supposed to be stackable...I can't see any config for that.
Insanely high durability is not so useful anyway, considering you can use moss or flux capacitors.

shadovvhunt3r

Jul 29, 2019
for arrows the durability determines the ammo count and I have no clue if capacitors will work on arrows and bolts.
You'd think they wouldn't do to the nature of the items in question!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
for arrows the durability determines the ammo count and I have no clue if capacitors will work on arrows and bolts.
Moss does work, that's for sure. Never tried a capacitor. Still kinda funny ^^

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Yes but you also wouldn't think that strapping (a cubic meter sized) piston To a weapon would leave it wieldy never mind provide the control to add a knock back to a slicing attack.

Or that emeralds wrapped in gold cloth gives the axe the clean cutting ability to silk touch blocks.

Or that a rigid metal rod is going to have better impact absorption qualities than wood and thus make a better handle material.

Or that a loose mix of cobble stones can be used to make a tool head that would not shatter on the first strike.

Or that obsidian is going to act any way other than brittle when used as a binding, handle or striking tool head. And yet it adds reinforced? It should add the opposite.

Or that paper can be used to make durable tool parts at all.

Or that simple moss can repair something.

I won't even talk about alloys made from blood harvested by killing things or the backwards way alumite is made from aluminum even though actually alumite is an intermediate stage in the production of aluminum.

At its core TiC is a nice idea. But it's execution is so bloody far off the mark its all but useless to worry about any unrealistic mechanic it has.

Sure. Minecraft itself is not realistic itself. But it does implement a kind of child like simulation of the world constrained by virtue of modeling the world as 1m voxels.

TiC doesn't care to even pretend to try to match reality even when afforded the opportunity to do so.

Consequently I would entirely expect capacitors and Pistons to work just as well when enhancing ranged weapons. And if they don't I'd ask why the **** they bothered with a little bit of reality this one time.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhn

shadovvhunt3r

Jul 29, 2019
my point is not about the realism dude its about the how the compositor modifiers work.
They replace durability with energy charge arrows and bolts don't use durability in the same way weapons and tools do.
ammo uses durability to count shots not how much damage is left on the ammo! so in that scents you'd think compositors wouldn't work on ammo.

Ps obsidian yes it can be brittle but its also one of the strongest rock types in the world!