Question about Steve's carts tunnel bore

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I decided to put together a steve's carts tunnel bore in creative mode to see if they are any good. After the 7 hour(!) wait i'll be able to test it. Thing is, I just realised that there's no way for it to put the loot into an ender chest, meaning the cart will eventually fill its inventory and stop. Clearly this isn't the 'set and forget' system I thought it would be. So what's the easiest way to collect the stuff from the carts inventory?

potter

Jul 29, 2019
When its inventory fills up, the cart should go back to where it started ( cargo manager? ) and dump its items there.
Can't you just pipe/suck that into an ender chest?
If you only go in one direction, it'll consume more fuel each trip due to the length. If it mines coal, it should restock its fuel ( provided you use that ) before putting it in its chests.

Edited for somewhat better grammar...

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Well, on my cart (because i'm just testing here) I added track remover. Does this mean i'll only need a finite amount of track? Because if so then that'd be great, no continuous manufacturing of tracks (although compared to the cost of the cart itself I guess its basically nothing).

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Also, while the external distributor works fine, I often get annoyed by the fact that it only seems to work when placed above or below the cargo manager, and I always forget how to make it work. At first I thought it was the only way to automate extraction of stuff from the cargo manager but in testing I found that turtles do work from any side of the cargo manager. I have a steve's carts tree farm and wheat farm in my world with turtles. First of all I make sure that the cart can only pass the cargo manager in one direction. After the cargo manager I place 2 or 3 standard rails followed by a detector rail hooked up by redstone to a turtle. The turtle is adjacent to both the cargo manager and an ender chest. I programmed the turtle to wait for a redstone pulse and only then to start pulling from the cargo managers inventory. Then it puts its haul into an ender chest connected to my AE network. Its quite good because it ensures that the cargo manager doesn't have all its wood or coal taken before it can put it back in the engine. You could also engineer a system to make sure that the turtle also keeps the cargo manager stocked with coal or some other fuel but at that point you are probably best off with the external distributor.

The irony is that is that I put my turtle on top of the cargo manager!

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I have to ask - what is the point in the galgadorian drill? It's so expensive to make that the only way you can possibly afford it is if you're post-scarcity. At which point, you really have no need for a mining machine. So why bother?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have had insane luck with diamonds on my current world and I am not above minium stone abuse either. The thing I have most trouble with is usually Ghast tears. In the past I never saw the point in galgadorian stuff but I have found that mDiyo's mods have great synergy with steve's carts. Tinker's constructs adds a way of getting luck onto a pickaxe easily which boosts your early game diamond yield. Also, Natura makes the nether way cooler and fun to explore, not to mention TC's cobalt and ardite ores. (Biomes o' plenty has added new nether ores recently and powercrystals has a nether ores mod). With those mods the challenge of setting up a Steve's carts system is a bit easier. I haven't gotten round to the drill yet but yesterday I got my galgadorian tree farm up and running and I also got my galgadorian wheat farm going. When I have minefactory reloaded, its definately not the most efficient way to go but it has been fun.

Also in a post-redpower world where quarry has been made very expensive by gregtech, its not as ridiculous a proposition as it once was. Admittedly, as soon as I finish writing my turtle miner that will be my automining method of choice until I get to "end game". Then I hope to use the drill, partly for fun and also for augmenting my income. I have a very ambitious project so I will need as much stuff as I can get.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I have to ask - what is the point in the galgadorian drill? It's so expensive to make that the only way you can possibly afford it is if you're post-scarcity. At which point, you really have no need for a mining machine. So why bother?

It is insanely, crazily, outrageously fast. Only the largest frame machines could ever exceed its speed. It's also crazily, outrageously efficient, fuel wise.

It is also one of the few mining systems that, when set up correctly, can run forever. It will not output continuously the way a frame machine can, but it can run forever. So. There's that.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note to OP if you add the creative addon to the cart assembler itll assemble it immediately
Wish i'd known this last night, I woudln't have had to wait 7 hours for it to build. Well, thanks for telling me anyway.

EDIT: Not gonna lie, this thing is ridiculous! The speed is just outrageous. As soon as I manage to hook it up to this cargo manager i'll be good to go.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Wish i'd known this last night, I woudln't have had to wait 7 hours for it to build. Well, thanks for telling me anyway.

EDIT: Not gonna lie, this thing is ridiculous! The speed is just outrageous. As soon as I manage to hook it up to this cargo manager i'll be good to go.
Do you mean it's ridiculously fast or ridiculously slow?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Ridicuolously fast. My main motivation for wanting this was to automine without leaving giant holes everywhere, but given how fast this is, I might just start using these everywhere I can.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh makes sense then, I haven't played with the tunnel borer much, might give it a go

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I've got my tunnel bore setup going nicely, but there are 2 problems: first, because the cart digs so much, it tends to let pockets of water/lava spill onto the track, which then stop it from going. Is there anything I can do about this? Second, it keeps destroying the pipes that i'm using to take the contents of the cargo manager to an ender chest for sorting. How can I stop it from doing that?

EDIT: Just looked on the wiki, it seems the liquid sensor should solve the liquids problem. But how to stop the cart from mining the pipes? I noticed it doesn't attempt to mine the ender chests, only the pipes.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, i've noticed another problem: the chunk loader doesn't seem to be working. Though I also tried a railcraft anchor cart and that didn't work either. I assume its because I had the MC window down, since I was doing other stuff. But things like quarries work just fine. Does anyone know a fix?

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, i've noticed another problem: the chunk loader doesn't seem to be working. Though I also tried a railcraft anchor cart and that didn't work either. I assume its because I had the MC window down, since I was doing other stuff. But things like quarries work just fine. Does anyone know a fix?

did you turn the chunk loader on? :p[DOUBLEPOST=1370971260][/DOUBLEPOST]it also needs fuel