Question about multiplayer and third party modpacks

Gamesaucer

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'd like to make one or more modpacks and I'm currently in the process of verifying that the first of those works in both singleplayer and multiplayer.

The problem I'm running into is that some of the mods only have a client version, such as Bspkrs' ArmorStatusHUD. If I put this in the "mods" folder of my local Forge server it'll crash when I launch it. Is this something I have to be concerned about when submitting my pack? Or is there a way to have them seperate when I turn in my modpack?

On a related note, is it even supposed to work this way with third-party packs, as in are they even supposed to have a server version, or are they only required to work on singleplayer? I'd really like to be able to have a server up easily without having to delete all the client version mods when setting it up.

tfox83

Jul 29, 2019
Most people only submit the client version of their modpack. But if you are making a public 3rd party pack and would like to provide a server link we can add it to the launcher for you.

Reactions: Gamesaucer

tfox83

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember we do not build the packs for you, neither client nor server, that is your responsibility, we just verify the permissions and get them to the launcher for you.

Gamesaucer

Jul 29, 2019
I know, that's no problem. It's just nice to have an acknowledged platform to publish it to, so a big-time thank you to all the people who make third-party packs possible.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'd like to make one or more modpacks and I'm currently in the process of verifying that the first of those works in both singleplayer and multiplayer.

The problem I'm running into is that some of the mods only have a client version, such as Bspkrs' ArmorStatusHUD. If I put this in the "mods" folder of my local Forge server it'll crash when I launch it. Is this something I have to be concerned about when submitting my pack? Or is there a way to have them seperate when I turn in my modpack?

On a related note, is it even supposed to work this way with third-party packs, as in are they even supposed to have a server version, or are they only required to work on singleplayer? I'd really like to be able to have a server up easily without having to delete all the client version mods when setting it up.
Let me add, that when you build the server version of your pack you submit that as a separate item. This means you will build it the way it needs to be (mods, settings, etc) before submitting it.

In my own pack I even note on my spreadsheet that I use to keep track which mods are client side or server side only and during update cycles I build separate archives, one for the client download and one for the server download. A high quality public pack will have as much care taken to ensure the SMP version is as mainstream ready and with little to no errors as you would the SSP version.

Reactions: Gamesaucer